Author Topic: Finally Saw Avatar...  (Read 12289 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Finally Saw Avatar...
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
...and I want my couple hours back, not to mention my money.

I am stupider for being exposed to that turd of a film.  I am at a loss as to how that thing could be nominated for an Oscar for best film, other than to speculate that the Academy is populated by four & five year old toddlers (my kids liked the blue aliens jumping around).

Oh, I gave it every chance.  We saw it in a stinking IMAX theater, on a screen the size of Ohio with a sound system that rivals any I have experienced in several decades of existence.  It was an end-of-day type thing and I figured, "What the Hell?"

It makes Dances with Wolves seem cerebral and fair-minded.  I was reminded, turd-factor-wise, of Costner's turd d' resistance, Waterworld.  Hey, I don't mind a re-telling of one of the stock story lines (jaded cosmopolitan goes native among Noble Savages).  Just don't insult me, repeatedly, while doing a crappy job of execution.

Thing is, it could have been a good flick, but Cameron 86'd everything makes a film good/great (plot, believable character development, writing, etc.) and replaced it with Last of the Mohican Smurfs Do Special Effects and Convey a Really Important Message.

Towards the end, I was rooting for the Marines and I really wanted to see the protagonist and his blue bint stabbed repeatedly by COL Scarhead. 

Let us take a look at the final "battle." 

Obviously, COL Scarhead neglected to read every significant work written on dealing with hostile & numerous primitives written since the Roman Republic.  When the natives get all frisky and gather in numbers, hole up in a tight defensible area with rations & ordnance and let them slaughter themselves against your superior discipline and technology.  This dates back to Rome and has been punctuated many times since. Rourke's Drift(0) being an exemple and Isandlwana or Teutoberg the cautionary tales, to name just three.

For the love of Pete, they had mining equipment titans could use!  Build a perimeter ditch and wall of, well, titanic proportions.  Heck build several, and man them.  Use the mechs as a reaction force/reserve, and use the air assets to develop real-time intel and CAS, as well as cover from the local flyers.  Only thing I didn't see that would complete a combined arms force was mortars & arty, though they had enough explosives to craft field expedient bombs, perhaps tossed by mechs, field expedient catapults, or davidka-like mortars.

They could have paved a road to the Big ass Tree with the bodies of the estimated 20K steroid-enhanced smurfs they feared would accumulate.  Likely few smurfs left to live in the BAT.  After the locals have expended themselves, then go after the rogue scientists and the Spaghetti Tree in the floating rocks if you really care.

(0) Fewer than 120 healthy Brits behind biscuit boxes and bags full of grain vs ~4500 Zulus. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
Re: Finally Saw Avatar...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
...have you ever heard of Zero Punctuation, and online videogame review done by one Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

While reading your review, his voice and cadence popping into mind.  :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »

There's been a plot-treatment/preliminary script for Avatar out on the net since the 90's that I read over ten years ago. Apparently they changed none of it.  :P

Compared to the challenges of interstellar space flight, mining and refining the unobtanium with minimum ecological impact would be trivially easy. And considering the already incredible EXPENSE of mining and transporting it at interstellar distances, doing so at orders of magnitude less efficiency would still be very profitable, with no need to fight/kill anybody.

Of course this ignores the fact that only chemicals/compounds MIGHT be different in alien star systems. And that's just "chemistry", once you have a sample, it can be synthesized at home, cheaper than star-flight no matter how exotic it is. And if the chemistry truly was that unique or exotic that it can't be synthesized, industrial use/refinement of the unobtanium would most likely destroy it's desirable properties anyway.

Thus rendering the entire plot behind "Dances With Smurfs" pointless. Since he strove so hard for "realisim" in other aspects of the movie, that at his core, James Cameron is a self-loathing anti-Western civ Luddite type is hard to debate.

I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
Last of the Mohican Smurfs Do Special Effects and Convey a Really Important Message.
I think I laughed for a good 2 minutes at this apt description.  :lol:

Only thing I didn't see that would complete a combined arms force was mortars & arty...
I also didn't see any dedicated, portable AA assets. Even a hand full of M113's with their radar guided 20mm vulcans would have been better than their crew-served everything.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:48:11 PM »
I think I laughed for a good 2 minutes at this apt description.  :lol:
I also didn't see any dedicated, portable AA assets. Even a hand full of M113's with their radar guided 20mm vulcans would have been better than their crew-served everything.

As I recall..  the M163 (that is what the M113 with the vulcan on top is) were not all that great.  The radar system had a few issues wtih actually hitting anything and they were taken out of service in the early 90's.  My main experience with them was to strip parts from the chassis's in the boneyard for our plain old M113's.  Also, the 20mm round is outranged by darned near everything an attack helicopter can carry including their own guns.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:51:36 PM by 41magsnub »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
Thank you for reaffirming my conviction that this is a movie I will never see. 

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
It makes Dances with Wolves seem cerebral and fair-minded.

i haven't made an effort to see it, but now i'm thinking it may be worthwile as i liked dances with wolves.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
Ugh. This really bodes well for me since my wife insists we need to see it to see what the fuss is about.  =|

Maybe I can at least make one of our friends rent it so we don't have to.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
Ugh. This really bodes well for me since my wife insists we need to see it to see what the fuss is about.  =|

Maybe I'm just crazy, but isn't that a great reason for, y'know, your wife to go see it? 

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
Maybe I'm just crazy, but isn't that a great reason for, y'know, your wife to go see it? 

Word.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »

:lol:

Yes, indeed it is.

However, I am more than willing to compromise to watch things she wants to watch and she does the same for things I want to watch in order to do things together.

This is not yet to the point of "Time Traveler's Wife" where I'll send her off with her girlfriends. I may yet regret that decision, though.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:40:46 PM »
Besides, if she can put up with me MST3King the movie, the least I can do is bring my robot sidekicks along and watch it with her.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »
Heh... Few years ago, watched Gangs of New York with a coupla friends.

They wondered why I was rooting for the bad guys.

My family helped settle New Amsterdam - before it was New York.

Gotta love Really Bad Flicks which get "noticed."

Blog under construction

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »
And people wonder why the last movie I went and paid money to see was BlackHawk Down.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
Just watch it on the biggest screen you can find that is *not* in 3D and enjoy the eye candy.  (if you analyze it too much, it will hurt your brain)  "Oooh, shiny!" is about the right level.  Two shots of Wild Turkey right before you go in will probably help immensely.  [popcorn]
"It's good, though..."

Myself

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »
So does this mean that you will be picking it up on DVD Thursday? 

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
We went, enjoyed it for the visuals, left it at that.

I MIGHT buy it when it hits the Sprawlmart bargain bin
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 06:21:34 PM »
We went, enjoyed it for the visuals, left it at that.

Same here.  The eye candy was amazing.  I'm a sucker for good cgi in movies, even if the plot is weak.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »
Saw it, loved it. Also really liked Dances with Wolves and loved Waterworld.

When the natives get all frisky and gather in numbers, hole up in a tight defensible area with rations & ordnance and let them slaughter themselves against your superior discipline and technology.

Things were going ok with relations until he decided to press on to get the material. Also there was a lot taken out explaining how things were on earth, what they were doing there and stuff. But unfortunately it was all cut out from filming.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 07:39:09 PM »
As I recall..  the M163 (that is what the M113 with the vulcan on top is) were not all that great.  The radar system had a few issues wtih actually hitting anything and they were taken out of service in the early 90's.  My main experience with them was to strip parts from the chassis's in the boneyard for our plain old M113's.  Also, the 20mm round is outranged by darned near everything an attack helicopter can carry including their own guns.

Just wanted to point out that ANYTHING would have been better than the dressed up M60's and what not that seemed to comprise almost their entire ground to air defenses.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
Just wanted to point out that ANYTHING would have been better than the dressed up M60's and what not that seemed to comprise almost their entire ground to air defenses.

Well weren't they just shooting at people riding animals?  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »
Well weren't they just shooting at people riding animals?  :laugh:

Yeah, but AA cannons are a wonderfully versatile asset.  Good range, can crack open anything south of a MBT, elevation useful in close terrain, good vs infantry or critters...what's not to like?

The 20mm-40mm class of medium cannons are just plain some of the most versatile vehicle-mounted or crew-served direct fire weapons. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »
ZSU 23-4's buried so the turret was all that was above ground were some of the worst things we faced in the initial push on Baghdad, or so one of my anti-armor instructors at School of Infantry told me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:58 AM »
ZSU 23-4's buried so the turret was all that was above ground were some of the worst things we faced in the initial push on Baghdad, or so one of my anti-armor instructors at School of Infantry told me.

*cringe* Those things are just evil. A good HARM can clear them out pretty well though.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
So can a Javelin gunner. /evil grin And we get to fire the damn things so rarely, we took ever chance we got.

(Note: I came along after the first assaults and never got to shoot a live Jav. But I take solidarity with my 0351 brethren.  ;) )
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.