Author Topic: Finally Saw Avatar...  (Read 12291 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Finally Saw Avatar...
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:47 AM »
In the tenth panel, Marcie achieves levitation and they act like it's a *bad* thing.  ???
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
I didn't even look at the URL to realize it was a Chick tract. I kept waiting for the punchline...  :facepalm:

Although I guess that the gaming group was at a 50/50 male-female ratio (actually higher!) was pretty funny as is.  :laugh:

I promise not to duck.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
The whole process reduces the light significantly, as only half the light is hitting each eye, with color saturation suffering as a result. I watched Alice in 3D (i didn't really want to watch it in 3D, but wasn't the one buying the tickets) and had a hard time seeing what was going on in some scenes because of how dim the 3d polarization and glasses made it. The bulbs really need to be twice as bright for 3d projection.

Brightness and color were both simply remarkable in the theater I saw it at.  Perhaps it's a local problem?  At any rate, I certainly didn't notice the problems you did.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
It could be theater specific, I didn't notice the problem when I saw Avatar which was at a different theater. I've heard others complain of the same thing with many 3D movies, Avatar included, so I wonder if some theaters have upgraded the projection lighting to handle 3D better.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »

Sounds about right, except they didn't download anything, they busted out Ida and Olly and did it the manly way.

=D

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:03 AM »
Update:

Bought the DVD for the kiddos a couple weeks back, since they enjoy the movie (ages 4 & 5).

Catching bits here & there over time, I have come to the conclusion that COL Scarhead is my favorite character in the abominable movie.

Here's why:
1. He gives the Jake character a real mission in Jake's directionless life and promises to square him away in return.
2. He is honest throughout the movie to all.
3. He does his job to the best of his ability.
4. He demonstrates remarkable fortitude and physical courage.
5. Highly motivated.
6. Holds up his end of the deal.  He has everything set up for the Jake character to go back and get fixed up.

Here is where COL Scarhead screws up, IMO:
1. Doesn't recognize Jake has flipped sides.  He ought to have noticed that and not given Jake a choice to get on the ship, head home, and get fixed up, just made it happen , even if he had to throw Jake over his shoulder like a sack of taters.
2. Didn't read his history WRT battles between civilized folks & multitudinous savages.  I can forgive this, in that the movie plot & climax dictate he blunders.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
Guys, I hang out on a SciFi board(Spacebattles.com) as well. 

1.  AJ - The 'mineral' was called 'Unobtanium' for a reason.  On scifi sites, it's actually a term that's been used for new mcguffin 'elements'.  It gives a reason for the setting breaking the laws of physics.
2.  We were pretty much in accord that the biological properties of the planet, and specifically the very sites the corporation was looking to raze so they could mine, were of greater value than the mineral.  Mine the mineral elsewhere, we need more scientists studying the smurfs and other stuff.  Especially the huge neural network.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »
In the tenth panel, Marcie achieves levitation and they act like it's a *bad* thing.  ???

Just parsed through the Chick link,  that's hilarious.  Cold, but hilarious..  >:D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
That Chick Tract always reminds me of the guy that tried telling me D&D was Satanic, because it wasn't in the Bible. I pointed out "neither is football"...

FOOTBALL is the work of the debil!!!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:46 AM »
Rented Pocohantas Avatar this weekend. Story was pretty tired and predictable, CGI stuff was pretty darn good.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
I didn't even look at the URL to realize it was a Chick tract. I kept waiting for the punchline...  :facepalm:

Although I guess that the gaming group was at a 50/50 male-female ratio (actually higher!) was pretty funny as is.  :laugh:

I DMed a group with a 1-3 male-female ratio.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
I've played WoW with many female players.
They're all horrible people.
Several guilds of hundreds of people have been completely dissolved by them.
Not to mention they just suck to be around.

Also, they're terrible tanks.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 11:41:07 AM »
One of my wife's best friends is a wonderful person and was an excellent tank when she still raided. But yeah, given how many horny nerds with no life are in the raiding scene, a girl who wants to make trouble certainly can.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
imax 3D was the way to go, great movie... now I know, no matter how nice the giant  talking blue monkey is-do not let him play with your machine gun
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."