Author Topic: How will you be desecrating Earf Day today?  (Read 6065 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How will you be desecrating Earf Day today?
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:02 AM »
I used to consider myself a bit of an environmentalist.  Now, I'm an anti-environmentalist. 

How can we make Mother Earf sad today? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: How will you be desecrating Earf Day today?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »
i prefer to make Gaia happy and Al Gore cry.

The current Iceland Volcano should be celebrated.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:59:14 AM »
That's the wrong idea. Should be concentrating on debunking the wackos, not "desecrate earf".

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:00:16 AM »
Harold and eyebrows FTW.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:05:24 AM »
Run Sugar Mama on the muffs to charge up the batteries.  About the best I can do today.  4stroke outboards are pretty low emissions, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
I can't think of a thing.  Perhaps I need to start selling carbon credits.  If I'm going to stay home all day, living a low-impact existence, then someone with an SUV and an excess of guilt probably ought to give me money. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »
Burn all my old floppys?  :angel:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:03 AM »
Celebrate my 4th wedding anniversary by going to a Brazilian steakhouse and eating all the beef that I want.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:36:06 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:52 AM »
Hm, yeah, I can participate in the desecration of Earth Day simply by eating a cow.  It's just so easy to be anti-environmentalist these days. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:27:53 AM »
i am preparing to burn a tire  >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
Nothing ruins the enviornment more than the .gov and/or .mil so I'm playing Army.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
The traditional way to celebrate Earth Day is to go the National Mall, trash it, and leave tons of litter, debris, and unspeakable filth behind for someone else to clean up.

Can't get to Washington this year, and they don't tolerate that sort of thing in TX the way they do in D.C., so I'll have to settle for something less . . . I think I'll model my behavior on America's - no, make that The World's -  #1 Environmentalist, Algore, and see if I can do better than he can:

1. I'll use 1/10 the energy in my house that Algore uses in his house.

2. I'll reduce my environmental footprint by only having 1 home rather than the 4 that Algore has. (That's 4 that we know about.)

3. I'll drive around in ONE vehicle, a single SUV, without an entourage, rather than in a caravan, the way Algore does.

4. If I travel by air, it will be by fuel-efficient commercial aircraft, rather than a fuel-guzzling private jet, the way Algore does.

These are going to be hard sacrifices to make, but Algore's actions (rather than his mere words) have convinced me that saving Gaia is worth it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »
Hmmm, I rode the 60 MPG scooter to work today, and when I get home, I will go for a ride on my hardtail MTB.  The knobby tires on the MTB may cause some slight trail erosion, I suppose.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
I made a huge batch of black beans, rice, corn, ham, onions, tomatoes, and broth, so the local pollution with be Pretty BadTM=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
I'll be putting some R134a in a coworkers auto A/C system.

Even with low loss fittings, a bit tends to leak out when the gauge set is removed.  =(

But, R134a isn't ozone deleting (which, I actually DO believe in), but it is a "greenhouse gas", which I don't buy into.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »
I'll be putting some R134a in a coworkers auto A/C system.

Even with low loss fittings, a bit tends to leak out when the gauge set is removed.  =(

But, R134a isn't ozone deleting (which, I actually DO believe in), but it is a "greenhouse gas", which I don't buy into.

You shouldn't.  ;)

I'll be dealing with hazardous chemicals including Hg and various other heavy metal compounds, using electricity hungry machine tools, perhaps even firing off some guns at the range, oh, and ESPECIALLY using plenty of VOC-containing finishes on some new furniture I built.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
You shouldn't.  ;)

Oh?  Do tell.  =)

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »
Oh?  Do tell.  =)

Ozone depletion has pretty much the same problem as global warming - the data set. In this case, it's less than 36 years old.

Thirty-six years of data. For a planet. And we're drawing conclusions?!  :O

Not only that, all the large names in ozone depletion (still) say it's conclusively linked to global warming, that it increases the greenhouse effect, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but thinking that the human race can drastically effect an entire planet's climate in the space of 36 years seems.... absurd. If we can do that to Earth in 36 years, well dang, we ought to be able to terraform other places in a few decades too, instead of the thousands or tens of thousands of years all models predict. Best part is that the same people that predict it would take thousands of years to even START modifying other planets' climate, say we've dramatically changed the Earth in 36 years.  ;)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
You're just not hoping for change hard enough.  :angel:

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
That's the wrong idea. Should be concentrating on debunking the wackos, not "desecrate earf".

As this thread yet again demonstrates, running your engine on Earth Day is all most have got.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
In Honor of Earth Day, Let's Have Some DDT
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
In honor of Earth Day, I will do two things:
1.  Post a link to an blog post, interview, and amazon purchase page about the authors of The Excellent Powder: DDT's Political and Scientific History
2. Call a buddy  whose stepdad* still has a 100lb bag of DDT in his basement and offer to "take it off his hands" so I can sling some in my crawlspace.

Video Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXQePTscn5c&feature=player_embedded

Amazon Link To The Excellent Powder: DDT's Political and Scientific History :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1608443760/ref=nosim/nationalreviewon

Blog Post:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzQ2Yjg1ZmM3NWRiZWQ4NjJmNjI0MzhhMDA5NjBiMDA=

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In Honor of Earth Day, Let's Have Some DDT   [Veronique de Rugy]

Tomorrow is Earth Day. Preparing for the event, my daughter's first-grade class has been hard at work to show all the perils that our planet faces. Hoping to brighten her teacher and her classmates' day, I sent her to school with this USA Today article by the fantastic director of the Copenhagen Consensus Center, Bjorn Lomborg, stating that:
    Given all the talk of impending catastrophe, this may come as a surprise, but as we approach the 40th anniversary of the first Earth Day, people who care about the environment actually have a lot to celebrate. [...] In virtually every developed country, the air is more breathable and the water is more drinkable than it was in 1970. In most of the First World, deforestation has turned to reforestation. Moreover, the percentage of malnutrition has been reduced, and ever-more people have access to clean water and sanitation.

I would have loved to send her with this Reason TV interview of Africa Fighting Malaria's Richard Tren and Donald Roberts about what's so excellent about DDT.

A reader sent this yesterday:

. . . A great deal of my work involved strategy development for new pesticides. The fact is that DDT is truly remarkable! I can't count the number of pesticides that have come — and gone — being introduced as "the successor to DDT." DDT is still here; most of the "successors" are long gone.

The truly remarkable fact about DDT is that it remains effective after more than 65 years. In fact it was a Ciba chemist who won the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1943 for DDT. Moreover, it was given credit for saving the Italian campaign. Absent DDT, it would have been necessary to close the port of Naples, which was the main supply point for all Allied troops in Italy, because of a massive typhus epidemic. Along came DDT and the epidemic was stopped cold.

The Excellent Powder book is here. It's truly excellent.

04/21 10:48 AMShare

* Also has a mason jar full of mercury, but I have no use for that.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
Re: In Honor of Earth Day, Let's Have Some DDT
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »
In honor of Earth Day, I will do two things:
1.  Post a link to an blog post, interview, and amazon purchase page about the authors of The Excellent Powder: DDT's Political and Scientific History
2. Call a buddy  whose stepdad* still has a 100lb bag of DDT in his basement and offer to "take it off his hands" so I can sling some in my crawlspace.

Video Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXQePTscn5c&feature=player_embedded

Amazon Link To The Excellent Powder: DDT's Political and Scientific History :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1608443760/ref=nosim/nationalreviewon

Blog Post:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzQ2Yjg1ZmM3NWRiZWQ4NjJmNjI0MzhhMDA5NjBiMDA=

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In Honor of Earth Day, Let's Have Some DDT   [Veronique de Rugy]

Tomorrow is Earth Day. Preparing for the event, my daughter's first-grade class has been hard at work to show all the perils that our planet faces. Hoping to brighten her teacher and her classmates' day, I sent her to school with this USA Today article by the fantastic director of the Copenhagen Consensus Center, Bjorn Lomborg, stating that:
I would have loved to send her with this Reason TV interview of Africa Fighting Malaria's Richard Tren and Donald Roberts about what's so excellent about DDT.

A reader sent this yesterday:

The Excellent Powder book is here. It's truly excellent.

04/21 10:48 AMShare

* Also has a mason jar full of mercury, but I have no use for that.

If he doesn't need it, I'll buy it! I'm looking for Hg of any quality in any quantity.  =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: In Honor of Earth Day, Let's Have Some DDT
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »
If he doesn't need it, I'll buy it! I'm looking for Hg of any quality in any quantity.  =D

Cutting charges will apply! 

=D

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
Hg by the linear foot?   :mad:

:lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."