Author Topic: gov't sanctioned robbery? I think so!  (Read 5997 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: gov't sanctioned robbery? I think so!
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
So - just pay the us.gov back the $20 for each coin and it's all fair and square  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
The King Farouk coin was apparently one of the 20 or so STOLEN by George McCann in conjunction with his alleged accomplice, Israel Swit.

The coin was apparently purchased privately in the mid 1940s after Swit sold it in 1933 or 1934, at which time the Egyptian government went to the State Department to obtain an export license, which was issued in error.

When the Treasury Department found out about it they prepared a letter to the Egyptian Goverment demanding the coin back as it was stolen property.

The State Department (through whom any such requests had to go) quashed the letter on the grounds that Farouk was too important a Western ally to piss off over what the State Department considered to be such a trivial matter.

Fact: The Treasury Department NEVER stopped considering the Farouk coin to be stolen property.

Fact: When the coin returned to the United States in the 1990s, the Treasury Department and Secret Service seized the coin and arrested those who had it on the grounds that they possessed and were trafficking in stolen property.

Fact: It was only after extensive legal maneuvering that this SOLE example of the 1933 Double Eagle was monetized and allowed to go up for auction. This decision was reached for this coin and this coin only because the State Department had erred and issued an export license for it in the 1940s, giving validity to the claim that the US Government had recognized the coin as being authentic and legal to own.

Fact: Even though this particular coin could not be positively identified as being the one from Farouk's collection, the US Government accepted that premise in the court case that settled the final disposition of the coin.

Fact: The legal disposition for that coin and that coin only has NO bearing on the legal disposition of the remaining Double Eagles, which were, and still are, stolen property.

"Just ask Mike Irwin there, forcing people to hand over all their privately held gold isn't theft"

You DO know what the definition of theft is, don't you?

Wait, let me answer that.... obviously... no.

Theft is depriving someone of something without compensating them for it. Americans were compensated for their gold with notes issued by the Government (yes, yes, I know, FIAT CURRENCY, FIAT CURRENCY BLAH BLAH SQUWAK!!!). Notes that were accepted as legal tender for public and private transactions, just as previously issued bank notes had been. The only difference between a paper $20 note and a gold $20 coin was the composition and the fact that you could no longer exchange that note for an equal monetary value of either gold or silver. As a medium of trade they purchased the exact same quantity of goods or services.

"So - just pay the us.gov back the $20 for each coin and it's all fair and square."

Incorrect. Once again, these coins were never monetized nor were they released for circulation. There is no way to "purchase" them from the Government.

Not sure, not sure at all, why people are having such a ferociously hard time comprehending the rather simple facts surrounding the disposition of these coins, and why it must be perfectly OK to steal, or profit from stolen property, as long as it's "da man" who's getting screwed.

Morality and ethics?

Wow.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
"At least Prohibition went the honest route via amendment, for all of its horrors."

Executive order, followed by acts of Congress, are also the honest route as defined by the Constitution, Congress, the Supreme Court, and nearly 250 years of legal precedent.

We can scream, cry, catterwaul all we want about the overreaching hand of the gubbmint, how it's morally wrong, ethically wrong, socially wrong, whatever wrong...

But I, for one, even when I don't like the path chosen, or the background given for the path chosen, still believe in the Constitutional process as laid out by the Framers... the WHOLE process, not just those parts that are convenient to me on some nebulous and suspect personal definition of what constitutes moral and ethical.

If that makes me a Statist, then so be it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
As capricious as the .gov is, normally I would say "bad on them". I cannot, in this case.

The coins were obtained by less than legitimate means, according to other articles I have read on this specific issue.

Disposition - pay the family dollar value by weight in gold and put the coins in museums. 
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
"Disposition - pay the family dollar value by weight in gold and put the coins in museums."

Have to disagree with that.

No compensation should be expected or due. The family is in possession of stolen property. Why should they win the lottery under those circumstances? They have no financial investment in the items.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
Even if one were to grant that Congress has the Constitutional authority to take away people's property in such a fashion, FDR still violated the laws on the books at the time with his executive orders.

Congress came up afterwards to mop up, but the illegality of FDR's first actions are in doubt only to those ignorant of the time line of actions on this issue.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

The State Department (through whom any such requests had to go) quashed the letter on the grounds that Farouk was too important a Western ally to piss off over what the State Department considered to be such a trivial matter.

Love how you just glossed right over this, cognitive dissonance much, but thanks for admitting my point that if you're important enough, the laws don't matter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »
Did the supreme court ever declare his executive order unconstitutional? No.

thus it was a legal order.

Please tell us, though, what laws the executive order violated and how many years he succeed in prison.

Regarding the Farouk coin, the fact that the court knew that and still didn't rule in favor of the Swot family was de facto acceptance of the legality of the State Department's actions. It could have easily found that, after the fact, that those actions were invalid. Not sure how you consider that to be ' glossing over.'

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
it doesn't fall in line with a belief system he has a lot invested in.  hence it must be wrong.  its the only possibility
heck farouck had a license from the state dept  the clerk/theif or his family ever get one?  try to?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Did the supreme court ever declare his executive order unconstitutional? No.

thus it was a legal order.

Please tell us, though, what laws the executive order violated and how many years he succeed in prison.

Regarding the Farouk coin, the fact that the court knew that and still didn't rule in favor of the Swot family was de facto acceptance of the legality of the State Department's actions. It could have easily found that, after the fact, that those actions were invalid. Not sure how you consider that to be ' glossing over.'

Again, assuming such a law and action by the gov't Constitutional:
Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917

We were not at war at the time FDR exercised powers granted to the office of the President in the text of this law.  A state of war was required to exercise those powers.  Congress came back later and expanded the power to other emergencies, but the text of the 1917 law is pretty clear.  

Are we really surprised that a progressive President does not feel encumbered by mere black letter law?

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »
it doesn't fall in line with a belief system he has a lot invested in.  hence it must be wrong.  its the only possibility
heck farouck had a license from the state dept  the clerk/theif or his family ever get one?  try to?

Do please explain my belief system on these matters.  Considering I am ambivalent about most the issues in this post (excepting those provable by text and a linear understanding of time), it might help me solidify them.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
"Disposition - pay the family dollar value by weight in gold and put the coins in museums."

Have to disagree with that.

No compensation should be expected or due. The family is in possession of stolen property. Why should they win the lottery under those circumstances? They have no financial investment in the items.

I was going to rebut but in gathering my thoughts to do so I found myself on a slippery slope.

I don't entirely agree with you at this point, Irwin, but I have a much better understanding of your position.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
Do please explain my belief system on these matters.  Considering I am ambivalent about most the issues in this post (excepting those provable by text and a linear understanding of time), it might help me solidify them.

Haven't got you close to figured out yet.you have more angles than a dogs hind leg.the folk who get pavlovian when they hear the word gold are less complex.i probably should quote better.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
your time line is screwed up. TWEA was amended and that revision was passed into law in March 1933. Executive order 6102 was issued in April 1933 under the auspices of that amendment.

The congressional action expanded TWEA to include non war emergencies.