Author Topic: ST:TNG, Season One - the horror  (Read 6953 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: ST:TNG, Season One - the horror
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
I agree, first season of TNG kind of sucks. Especially the first half or so where you can tell they really aren't meshing yet. But once it got in to the swing of things it got much better.

At the time, I was heartbroken that they killed Tasha Yar off so fast. Looking back, I'm glad. Worf is far better in that position than she was. Maybe she'd have grown as the series progressed, but that loss seems to have been good, in retrospect.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:56 PM »
That's totally Zardoz, Fistful...     :O

You'd think "let's avoid looking like Zardoz would be a firm objective of anyone making sci-fi for a TV audience. Right up there with "let's try not to be anything like Lexx."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
i watched he final episode of st enterprise last month on netflix and rekindled the rage from the impression that the entire series was summed up as a hollodeck lark of Riker trying to justify his life.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
i watched he final episode of st enterprise last month on netflix and rekindled the rage from the impression that the entire series was summed up as a hollodeck lark of Riker trying to justify his life.

Wow, I just looked it up to find out why I never watched past the 2nd season (aside from getting annoyed with it) and discovered it was 10 years ago.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
I grew up with Voyager and really liked it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
"And the time when Spock got the mating urge and went after Kirk . . ."

Been reading fanfic again Hank?  ;)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
TS:  Enterprise IMO suffered from the overuse of the Temporal Cold War crap and the whole Expanse story.  Parts of them weren't too bad, but many of them were not good.  I figured the writers like the big drawn out story lines because it is less work than coming up with new stories.  However, the shows are better when they stick with one or two hour story lines and drop the long stuff.  As an example, I really liked early XFiles shows that were one hour independent shows.  I got turned off when it turned into one season long alien plot.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
At the time, I was heartbroken that they killed Tasha Yar off so fast. Looking back, I'm glad. Worf is far better in that position than she was. Maybe she'd have grown as the series progressed, but that loss seems to have been good, in retrospect.
Worf just brought more to the table, being Klingon and all. If you want to expand a character might as well do it with a different species.

That episode pissed me off too. I would have much rather they not squandered what will probably be one of the only chances to put to film the founding of the Federation. Had they not been canceled and gone long enough they could have captured the lead up better sure, but they couldn't devote an hour or two of the final season to the actual formation of the Federation? Who the hell thought it was a better idea to film Rikers wet holodeck dream of a random event on the way back to Earth to sign the charter and nothing more.

TS:  Enterprise IMO suffered from the overuse of the Temporal Cold War crap and the whole Expanse story.  Parts of them weren't too bad, but many of them were not good.  I figured the writers like the big drawn out story lines because it is less work than coming up with new stories.  However, the shows are better when they stick with one or two hour story lines and drop the long stuff.  As an example, I really liked early XFiles shows that were one hour independent shows.  I got turned off when it turned into one season long alien plot.   
I'm 50/50 on the story line thing. I think they did fine with the 2-3 episode long story arc, but I agree. The season long "let hunt aliens, and constantly be just behind them" thing got annoying. I was fine with the TCW part. Nothing wrong with an underlying thing that pops up every not and again throughout the series.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
As for TNG, it's my understanding that the first two seasons were the ones where Gene Roddenberry had the most control and is the biggest reason it's horrible dreck. Apparently he was always something of a utopian dreamer, at least as far as his storytelling was concerned, and by the mid-Eighties he was almost around the bend on the subject.Gene was forced aside, for the second time in ST history, between the second and third seasons and it's the third season where TNG begins to improve by leaps and bounds. Ironically, Gene's replacement, Berman, eventually became so risk-averse that he himself just about scuttled the entire franchise.

On tbe subject of writers not knowing anything, it seems the rules changed between TOS and TNG. TOS could have a stable of writers familiar with the show, while TNG had to open up for submissions from all union writers and tweak to suit.

eta: Oh, and Wesley was Gene's baby, so to speak. The prevailing theory is that Wesley was in effect Gene's avatar.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:06:49 PM by Parker Dean »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »
Actually, I liked Lexx...  =)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »
I don't like any Sar Trek aka Commies in Space, with the slight exception of TOS. And that's mostly because the visuals are so terrible and the acting so poor it's hilarious.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
As a hardcore, die-hard, ultra loyalist  TNG fan, I can agree that some of the stories left a bit to be desired.
Things started to get amazing after Yar's  death.   Her death marked the end of TNG  trying to imitate TOS's  "feel."

It started to be less about stupid, planet based monsters,  and more about galactic events.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 07:16:51 PM »
As for TNG, it's my understanding that the first two seasons were the ones where Gene Roddenberry had the most control and is the biggest reason it's horrible dreck. Apparently he was always something of a utopian dreamer, at least as far as his storytelling was concerned, and by the mid-Eighties he was almost around the bend on the subject.Gene was forced aside, for the second time in ST history, between the second and third seasons and it's the third season where TNG begins to improve by leaps and bounds. Ironically, Gene's replacement, Berman, eventually became so risk-averse that he himself just about scuttled the entire franchise.

On tbe subject of writers not knowing anything, it seems the rules changed between TOS and TNG. TOS could have a stable of writers familiar with the show, while TNG had to open up for submissions from all union writers and tweak to suit.

TOS had some scifi greats writing scripts, Harlan Ellison being just one.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
TOS has some episodes that were turkeys - for example, remember this scene?

Or the gangster episode

Or this one

Or this

And the time when Spock got the mating urge and went after Kirk . . .

DS9 had a lot of crappy episodes as well . . . but once the Dominion Wars began, they got better - I especially liked the episode when Sisko and the Cardassian "tailor" (a spy out of favor with the current regieme) engineered a many-layered plot to draw the Romulans in on the side of the Federation and Klingons. There was actually some plot, story, and character development here.

Most Voyager episodes stank.

:mad:  "Shore Leave" and "Amok Time" were CLASSICS!

Some of what you mentioned were in the mediocre to good catagory.
For a REALLY BAD TOS episode, "SPOCK'S BRAIN."  That was dumb.
Hank, you just don't "cut it" as a ''Trekker." ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »
The reason for the idiotic Riker holodeck episode in Enterprise was because it was cancelled and they had to wrap it up quick

I was disappointed
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 08:57:08 PM »
Arena... Effin' 'A', man.  The first 5-10 minutes were the best the series ever had.  Not to mention it supplied fodder for Galaxy Quest.  "Can you fashion some sort of rudimentary lathe?". ROFLMAO
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
The first ST series I saw was TNG, which prompted me to track down and watch the original series. I liked both, but they're still the only two I've seen. Whatever came next, was it Voyager? I couldn't get into, but I was moving away from Sci-Fi at that point and getting more into historical fiction (reading, not on tv). Since our discussions here this past couple years, I've realized how much I miss Sci-Fi and have been reading and watching more of it. Have both TOS and TNG saved in my instant queue on Netflix to watch again. Also have never seen any of the movies (I know, I know, BAD!), so want to watch them in the near future too, or maybe after I've watched the series' again.

.... I figured the writers like the big drawn out story lines because it is less work than coming up with new stories.  However, the shows are better when they stick with one or two hour story lines and drop the long stuff.  As an example, I really liked early XFiles shows that were one hour independent shows.  I got turned off when it turned into one season long alien plot.   

I agree MechAg. It frustrates me when I miss a couple episodes and it takes me a couple more episodes to make sense of what's going on.  As a writer, I understand the need for both character development, series continuity, and keeping people hooked, to have a long storyline woven in. But like you, when that starts to take over every episode, I lose interest and move on to something else. (I lost interest in the X-Files at exactly that same point.) I like the episodes that can stand alone. If they're going to have a long complex story line, they better hit on key scenes to explain things at the opening.

But, again from a writer's standpoint, it's very difficult to create a "world" and people it with characters and NOT have it take on a life of it's own. Every story I've ever written goes on much longer than "the end" and has far more going on in the big picture than the reader actually sees because the imagination is limitless. This is also where prequels come from. Wherever a story begins on a page, the writer has to go back and imagine how the characters got to be right there at that exact time. Often this leads to entirely new stories and a "holy crap, I should have thought of this first!" moments.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
The reason for the idiotic Riker holodeck episode in Enterprise was because it was cancelled and they had to wrap it up quick

I was disappointed

Yea, that and the whole run of the series just felt like a re-bake of old ideas.  Klingons; semi-all powerful bad guys; heck even the Borg showed up for the party.  ;/

Of all the Trek series, DS9 is my favorite (even if it was a ripoff of someone elses better executed idea) mostly for the darker feel of the stories and the struggles that the characters went through.  For example Sisko's monolog at the end of 'In The Pale Moonlight'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw

With the 20/20 vision of hindsight the first years of TNG are pretty bad, but remember this was the first NEW Star Trek series in 20 years and it was very exciting to visit that world again.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
. . . Hank, you just don't "cut it" as a ''Trekker." ;)
THANK YOU! Now go straighten out your pointed ears, one of them is on a little crooked. And don't forget to sharpen your genuine Klingon dagger.   ;)

"And the time when Spock got the mating urge and went after Kirk . . ."

Been reading fanfic again Hank?  ;)
Well, it's technically an accurate description of the episode Amok Time . . .  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »
Saw one of the best of the TNG episodes last night on BBC America...

The Inner Light.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
"Do you want to know the truth about that whole Enterprise thing as the show was called? Rick Berman, executive producer of all things Star Trek, called Marina and myself and said 'we'd like you to do the last episode of Enterprise' ... They said it would be a Valentine to the fans, but all of it ended up doing I think was hurting Scott Bakula's feelings. He was such a gentleman about it and I said to Scott this is weird for me to be on your show and your show is being taken off before it should be taken off and he was such a gentleman about it and said "no, glad you're here" so it was awkward on all accounts, except with working with Marina again which is always lovely. But I wasn't crazy about it. And it was so thinly connected, I thought too. Thanks for bringing up such an unpleasant memory"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
I have always liked Jonathan Frakes.  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
I'll just leave this here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.