Author Topic: usernames :: where do they come from?  (Read 6657 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
usernames :: where do they come from?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 09:16:10 PM »
Oh, geeziz. I guess I've answered this question on every forum I've joined.

Back when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, a birthmark began to develop on my left leg. It was about the size of a half-dollar coin, and there was some very thick, black hair growing from it.

By the time I got to junior high (and co-ed gym classes), the birthmark had grown from my left ankle all the way up to my mid-thigh. And so did the hair. My left leg had hair as thick as a monkey's.

And, so, to deflect ridicule, I gave myself the nickname "Monkeyleg."

The weirdest part of that whole experience is that it only lasted for as long as I was trying to date girls/young women.

Once I got married, the hair began to disappear. Now there's almost none at all. Even the darkened skin has turned about the same color as the rest of my leg.

Hey, Old Man Upstairs: if you didn't want me fooling around, couldn't You have found a more obvious (and less embarrassing) way to tell me?

James Fitzer

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 10:09:59 PM »
Well, Fitz is what my friends call me, sometimes referring to me as The Fitz... usually after a great show or guitar solo. Or sometimes in ridicule after i finish one of my rants about how our country's going down the tubes.

the VH is a throwback to when I used to be obsessed with Van Halen. Oddly enough, their singer ALSO pressured their guitarist into allowing the use of the last name for the band name.

TheFitz was taken on AIM, when i first started using the name. So i chose this.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »
A reference to my other hobby.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 12:45:16 AM »
I took my name from the Iapetus Ocean, which - about 350 million years ago - lay between England and Scotland.  (Scotland at the time being part of what was to become North America.  The Appalachians, the Scotish Highlands, and the mountains of Scandinavia are the remains of the mountain range formed when the continents collided).  I learnt about it when studying geology some years ago, thought "that's a cool sounding name", and have used it as a username as much as possible ever since.

Iapetus is also a moon of Saturn, and both the ocean and the moon were named after a Titan from Greek mythology.

HForrest

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 01:55:08 AM »
I just sorta came up with mine. Nothing to do with vintage dirtbikes, as many have suggested.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 04:11:02 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
I think there are different pronunciations of Nguyen, though.
I went to school with a guy who had that lat name. he pronounced it new-ee-an.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 04:39:06 AM »
Jamis:  the brand of my racing bicycle
Jockey:  refers to my stature...I'm built like a retired jockey (short and fat)
hence, Jamisjockey
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2006, 06:08:50 AM »
The city in which I live.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2006, 06:32:36 AM »
Mine came about during a conversation 10-15 years ago.

I told a friend that I wanted to be a game warden. Friend then asked if I would be living in a cave in the woods, eating cat tails, granola and dandelions.

I said "No, dummy, I don't want to be a caveman or live like Grizzly Adams or something, I just want to be a game warden."

It stuck, as I also had quite a beard back then. The "play on words" was something I came up with because a BBS would not let me register under "Grizzly Adams", but they accepted grislyatoms.

Thus.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 08:23:37 AM »
I'm tall, female and have a Ph.D.

Funny that on many forums, I'm "perceived" as male. I must have  masuculine punctuation.
Experiment with a chemist!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2006, 08:30:15 AM »
Mine has to do with a couple of interests that I of late have not had nearly enough time or money to indulge. Firstly, I have a Commercial Pilot's Certificate, hence Stickjockey=pilot, my nterest in airplanes and flying. Secondly, I have engaged in SCA heavy fighting, hence Stickjockey= SCA heavy fighter, one who puts on armor and pounds on his similarly-armored friends with a stick. Wink
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 09:28:07 AM »
-45  As in Para Ordnance.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 10:47:33 AM »
mbs = initials.
357 = favorite caliber.

I made this up back in middle school, many years ago (Now 19), stuck with it ever since.  Chances are, if you see an 'mbs357' somewhere, it's me. smiley

I've also gone by The_CCW_Ninja.
This came from a couple of friends of mine in IRC becoming The_BRB_Ninja, and The_AFK_Ninja...
I asked them if I could be The _CCW_Ninja, and they accepted, I bet they still don't know what it means. grin
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
I guess I'm as equally uncreative as MillCreek or ilbob. Wink

Edward S. Heaton, abbreviated.

Yes, I'm also as caucasian as they come.

Ed

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
Hey, don't forget me.  I'm uncreative, too!
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 03:52:21 PM »
I chose my  name after getting into political arguments over gun rights on craiglist world political forum,
 (that place sucks now)  for some reason the liberals hated the name so I kept it.
I had to put a disclaimer on my gun forums since I really know zip about gunsmithing.
I used to recieve death threats all the time from craigslist and I got hacked a bunch too, so that was another reason to keep my old name so i would be annonymous (well kinda)
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »
The day before I had to come up with a screen name, someone had called my shooting 'spooky', which I took as a big compliment. It was in deference to pistol abilities, hence the name.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2006, 04:45:21 AM »
I live and shoot in Saint - Laurent du Var - not far from Nice in the South of France on the Côte d'Azur right on the Mediterranean sea. Being Austrian myself I love to go after the French bashing boorish wannabes.... Hahaha
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »
My nickname from my law enforcement daze.

It was given to me by El Salvadoreans (apparently), but quickly adopted by the Mexican community (who must have thought it was funny) who called out the name in court.

I thought it amusing since I've never had a nickname (the nickname "you jerk" given to me by high school girls never caught on) and adopted it.  My house is Alcazar del Tejon.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2006, 01:42:27 PM »
I'm a pilot flying Airbus 320s.  

You can call me Tony, if you like.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2006, 03:41:56 PM »
JamisJockey,

Heh, heh.  I always ascribed your screen name to you riding a horse in your pajamas.  heh heh.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BaxterGriffin

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2006, 06:24:25 PM »
I post at TheHighRoad as "TheFrontRange," named for one of my all-time favorites places, the scenic Front Range of the Colorado Rockies!  Here at APS I thought I'd try a new moniker, something from another slice of my life...I periodically perform in a comedic mystery dinner theatre production locally...one of my favorite characters is "Baxter Griffin," sort of a geeky class-nerd type who never outgrew his fascination with the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.
"Go ahead...make my chili."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:46 PM »
The quintessential Mauser rifle.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2006, 05:35:30 AM »
<------Comes from getting tired trying to come up with unique usernames and way too much Art Bell. Way too much...
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006, 07:04:43 AM »
Grampster-

While we're on a relevant topic, I've always wondered where the first line of your sig comes from (the 'he aroused, turned the page and went back to sleep' part).  Care to share?
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb