Author Topic: This is what happens when your safe lock fails  (Read 9335 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
This is what happens when your safe lock fails
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
http://www.the-minuteman.org/2014/04/19/liberty-safes-review-like/

Interesting situation, and a good advertisement for mechanical vs electrical locks on RSC's.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: This is what happens when your safe lock fails
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
Aldso a good reminder to find out if your local locksmith knows anything about breaking in, as opposed to just installing stuff.

Not only do I have a dial lock, I have the key and the instructions on how to use it stored somewhere besides inside my RSC.  Learned to do that after somebody I know needed the key to reset his combination after his kid used the key and reset the combination (and then put everything inside the safe before closing it).  (Yes, the kid lived.  But she took all her meals standing up for quite a long time.)

I would hate to think what those twist drill bits would have cost if the manufacturer's warranty were not covering the expenses.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Mechanical S&G spin dial locks FTW.  IIRC, it was the 8400 I liked best.

I use more electrical locks nowadays, but that is because they are mandated and someone else foots the bill when they got tango uniform.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
I have one of each.

The Digital is way faster, and has way more openings on it with no failure (yet).  The Mech is less prone to failure, but prior to that failure is more of a pain to use.

FWIW, DOD is going to all digital locks on GSA containers and arms rooms and the like.  Not sure if that's good or bad.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
Something isn't right.

The gun shop I worked at a couple years back was a Liberty dealer.  Kept a couple dozen in stock, and sold three or four a week.  I’ve been around my fair share of Liberty products and a couple things in the story just don't add up.

1) The whole "had to drive five hours for the serial number".  Every Liberty safe I've ever seen has a small tag (on the side or back) with the serial number.  I don’t see any mention of Liberty suggesting he look for the s/n there.  I know from direct experience that’s the first thing they do when you call customer service.  Liberty wants callers to provide serial numbers for good reason.

2) A locksmith taking three hours to get into the safe?  Anyone familiar with gun safes will be familiar with both mechanism types.  They are common units used by multiple manufacturers.  Locksmiths with any experience can work on them with their eyes closed.  Also, even inexperienced locksmiths know to use tungsten bits.  A genuine locksmith attacking a safe with everyday bits?  I don’t think so.  (tungsten carbide bits don't bend/beat up like in the photo, they chip)  I've personally witnessed a locksmith drilling safe several levels better than the Liberty Presidential.  Took him about 30 minutes.

But the real standout is...

3)  The conditions he describes - beep, but no click - are indicators of a very, very common condition called “Low Battery”.  The safe instructions cover it, along with directions to try a new battery.  Actually, it’s the first suggestion for any mechanism problem.  It's also the first thing Liberty will tell you to try when you call customer service.  I don’t see any mention of the battery, nor an indication that he ever tried a new one.  (Reminds me of a buddy who diagnosed a failed oil pressure gauge by replacing an engine.)

The gap between the fireboards is a big, fat bowl of meh.  The inner fireboard often free-floating, sitting in channels in the door frame.  Some movement is normal.  It’s the outer fireboard layers that are critical.  Also, the only fireboard gap in any of the other pics is towards the bottom of the door, and doesn’t gape.

One discontinuity I could dismiss, but three pretty glaring ones makes me think there is a fair amount of smoke being blown.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:33:39 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
I'd be disappointed if anybody trying to drill my $5000 safe broke a mere 8 bits. I've broken nearly that many bits, just drilling out one mortise lock, to get into a mall store.

Well, ok, they broke three more drills. That's better, I guess.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »
  it's my understanding that thieves typically don't attack the lock anyway, so to say it took them a day to get in is rather meh. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:55:48 PM »
 It took them a day to get in in a fashion that allowed for repair of the safe

minuteman

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:43 AM »
As this was my safe and I'm the author, let me hit your points one by one.

Something isn't right.

The gun shop I worked at a couple years back was a Liberty dealer.  Kept a couple dozen in stock, and sold three or four a week.  I’ve been around my fair share of Liberty products and a couple things in the story just don't add up.

1) The whole "had to drive five hours for the serial number".  Every Liberty safe I've ever seen has a small tag (on the side or back) with the serial number.  I don’t see any mention of Liberty suggesting he look for the s/n there.  I know from direct experience that’s the first thing they do when you call customer service.  Liberty wants callers to provide serial numbers for good reason.

The serial number of this safe is contained within the inside of the door.  Open the door, upper outer edge just above the fire tag I posted pictures of.  They told me in the safe or on the packet of information.  Further, prey tell, if it's on the back of the safe, how do I see it given it's bolted to the ground and there's a wall on the back side?  It sure isn't on the left side or right sides of the safe either.  Searching the left side was a real bitch but thank god for mirrors.

So tell me, other than the packet, where was I going to find this tag you speak of?  They told me, on the inside of the safe or on the packet. Maybe they added this recently I bought my safe in December of 09.

Again as the safe hadn't been moved either way I'm still driving 5.5 hours to go find it right? So either way I'm screwed, but some how the serial being on the outside of the safe would have magically made that trip disappear?  The point was I wanted to ensure I had the locksmith scheduled due to the fact I was going to have to travel no matter what.  I had all the other information regarding the warranty of the safe.  What was disturbing however was after giving the serial they were more than forth coming with my personal information.  If it is on the outside of the safe as you claim, what's to stop a burglar from just using that serial number on the outside to get assistance?

2) A locksmith taking three hours to get into the safe?  Anyone familiar with gun safes will be familiar with both mechanism types.  They are common units used by multiple manufacturers.  Locksmiths with any experience can work on them with their eyes closed.  Also, even inexperienced locksmiths know to use tungsten bits.  A genuine locksmith attacking a safe with everyday bits?  I don’t think so.  (tungsten carbide bits don't bend/beat up like in the photo, they chip)  I've personally witnessed a locksmith drilling safe several levels better than the Liberty Presidential.  Took him about 30 minutes.

Interesting.  Maybe my smith just sucked.  Though I do know he was using tungsten carbide.  FIL who is a machinist even confirmed it.  What you saw was from a bit getting extremely over heated and pushed well beyond it's point. If you look at the first picture you will see it's broken and chipped.  The mangled bit is what happens when you end up right on top of a ball bearing and don't realize it till you hear the pitch change from failure.  Doubly entertaining is I know the trick to get past the ball bearings and that takes at least 15 minutes to set.  So you're guy punched right through in basically 15 minutes.  Awesome.  Maybe he can contact my smith and give some pointers.  Obviously there's a new method to help with the bearings he doesn't know about.

Though interestingly I could have probably spent a day, just destroyed the safe and got my stuff out.  The trick there is doing so in a fashion that prevents the destruction of the safe's contents.  Also we could have probably drilled in a different area, unlocked the safe, gotten the stuff out but have rendered the safe useless.

3)  The conditions he describes - beep, but no click - are indicators of a very, very common condition called “Low Battery”.  The safe instructions cover it, along with directions to try a new battery.  Actually, it’s the first suggestion for any mechanism problem.  It's also the first thing Liberty will tell you to try when you call customer service.  I don’t see any mention of the battery, nor an indication that he ever tried a new one.  (Reminds me of a buddy who diagnosed a failed oil pressure gauge by replacing an engine.)

Maybe you missed the part where I said I tried all the standard troubleshooting methods, as a matter of fact I tried two different brand new 9 volts from two different manufactures, Duracell and Energizer.  But what should I know about any of this, I must not have tried anything like that right?  Oh wait, here it is from my article.

Try leaning on the door, doing everything in the list of stuff to do to get the safe open on their website.

Since you obviously missed that part let me quote the website for you:

1. The locking mechanism of a safe can, under certain conditions, place pressure on the side of the lock's bolt. This is often caused by something inside the safe pressing against the door or by something caught between the safe door and its frame. When this occurs, the lock will not operate properly. To relieve side pressure on the lock bolt, move the safe's handle to the fully locked position, (for direct-drive locks make sure the keypad is turned counterclockwise to stop), then re- enter a working code. The lock should open.

2. If the lock "chirps" when keys are pressed, but it will not open, the batteries may be drained to the point that they will not operate enough to open the lock. Follow the battery replacement procedure in this manual.

So you really think that an electrical engineer, who has a firm understanding of how exactly electromechanical relays work and the fact that they are big fat current draws wouldn't try replacing the batteries?  I did that before I tried anything else or even looked online.  Then as an extra measure the locksmith also dropped in his own battery.  But you were obviously there right, you know what happened better than I do obviously.

Not to mention I replace the safe batteries on the same schedule as anything battery related on my firearms, lights, lasers, EOTechs and red dots.  I do it on Day Light Savings Spring and Fall.  Same goes for smoke detectors and CO detectors.  So the battery I replaced was a month old.  Maybe overkill but I find it better than discovering a battery that went so dead it started leaking and causing corrosion.

The gap between the fireboards is a big, fat bowl of meh.  The inner fireboard often free-floating, sitting in channels in the door frame.  Some movement is normal.  It’s the outer fireboard layers that are critical.  Also, the only fireboard gap in any of the other pics is towards the bottom of the door, and doesn’t gape.

One discontinuity I could dismiss, but three pretty glaring ones makes me think there is a fair amount of smoke being blown. 

Brad

Yup guess your right, didn't happen.  Not at all.  I shifted around my move schedule just for the fun of it.  The fireboard gap I showed is the one towards the bottom of the door with a better angle.  It may not be an issue, however you can come look at my safe and I'll take the back board off again and show it all to you first hand.  That was the only gap I saw and the picture with my finger there was for scale.

Fireboards may not be a problem, at the same time it calls into question fit and finish.  Given the price I paid for the safe I don't want it looking like it was hacked together when I get inside.

So, lets see here, you weren't there, but tried to provide information as if you were saying I never replaced the battery. That there is supposedly a serial number on the outside of the safe that I searched and couldn't find. But the packet they told me to get that has it, that evidently wasn't the correct solution. He makes claims that the drill bits used, weren't what was actually used. And lastly dismisses things I noted relating to fit and finish.

I think I'm going to just label you as a troll, because honestly that's exactly what you look like.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »
Welcome to our forum, minuteman.

Please take a moment to read the forum rules.  I hope you hang around a while and get to see more of our little community.

New guy buys ammo and beers!  =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:37 AM »
FWIW, DOD is going to all digital locks on GSA containers and arms rooms and the like.  Not sure if that's good or bad.

Can it be worse than the current ones?  :laugh:

Half the time that I open mine, I either take forever spinning the lock slowly, or else if I go just a little bit fast, the display has just jumped ten digits and I have to keep on spinning back to the number. If anything, it'll probably be way easier to reset combos on the new digital ones (unless the .gov requirements manage to make that harder than it needs to be).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
I keep thinking back to that one scene in the movie "RED" where Bruce Willis' character looks at the fancy keypad/card/retinal scan/palmprint lock, and just punches through the drywall to the side of it.  =D
I promise not to duck.

minuteman

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Can it be worse than the current ones?  :laugh:

Half the time that I open mine, I either take forever spinning the lock slowly, or else if I go just a little bit fast, the display has just jumped ten digits and I have to keep on spinning back to the number. If anything, it'll probably be way easier to reset combos on the new digital ones (unless the .gov requirements manage to make that harder than it needs to be).

I am very glad I don't have to deal with the digital dial lock I had to in a previous job.  When you would switch directions spinning the wheel it would pick a random number in the space to start.  Some times it was close, some times it was far away.  I will say I have to be careful spinning my new lock.  I have a habit of going too far by going too fast.  Not to mention I have to remember it starts to the left, not to the right.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
I am very glad I don't have to deal with the digital dial lock I had to in a previous job.  When you would switch directions spinning the wheel it would pick a random number in the space to start.  Some times it was close, some times it was far away. 

Yup, that's how the older GSA locks work. Argh.

Welcome to APS!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »

I think I'm going to just label you as a troll, because honestly that's exactly what you look like.

Troll...

Me...

Welcome to APS, but tone down the butt-hurtedness.

Folks around here are a decent lot and pretty easy to get along with.  Your first post being a mouth-foaming righteous indignation party isn't necessarily the best way to start the relationship.  Item-by-item issue dissection is par for the course 'round these parts.  Expect it, and expect inconsistencies based on direct personal experience to be pointed out.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:02:07 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
Welcome aboard minuteman. I'm amazed that name was still available, figured it would've been taken by now. How did you find out about us? We've had several google alert based members here.

Don't mind Brad, he's a decent guy but he has never, ever admitted that he was wrong about anything. You could be the chief design engineer of Liberty and he'd still tell you he knows more about the safes than you do. Probably not worth getting worked up over.  =)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »

Don't mind Brad, he's a decent guy but he has never, ever admitted that he was wrong about anything. You could be the chief design engineer of Liberty and he'd still tell you he knows more about the safes than you do. Probably not worth getting worked up over.  =)

No, you're wrong.  =D

Brad
-HankB

minuteman

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »
Skip to the bottom for answers to a few other questions.  The top is mainly geared towards Brad.

Folks around here are a decent lot and pretty easy to get along with.  Your first post being a mouth-foaming righteous indignation party isn't necessarily the best way to start the relationship.  Item-by-item issue dissection is par for the course 'round these parts.  Expect it, and expect inconsistencies based on direct personal experience to be pointed out.

That's exactly what I did Brad.  I took your statements, dissected them, and applied my personal experiences to them.  My experience says you were trolling.

You made judgements about me, my incident, and what happened without first hand knowledge of my specific case.  You made an assumption, know how you spell that "It makes an ass out of yoU and ME" without even knowing me, my background, skill set, or capabilities.  You even made those assumptions with statements to the contrary immediately available.  So who is talking about creating relationships and perceptions?  I wasn't the one that rolled up implied someone he didn't know was an idiot, didn't know what he was talking about, and was blowing smoke.

And that there is my problem Brad.  I probably know more about the workings and design of that lock than most.  I could design and build  one myself if I wanted to.  Again if you read my post I point out the two most likely causes of the failure (relay wear and electrolytic cap failure) but you dismiss them.  Your statement of why is because the symptoms match not changing the battery, yet I had tried, with multiple batteries.  Because you know, why bother changing the battery which takes 5 seconds when I can punch a hole in my $5000 safe and takes a day, plus travel time.  

Know what's interesting Brad? The most likely form of failure that will prevent the lock from opening exhibits the same exact symptoms as a dead battery.  Imagine that, the key piece that locks the safe might fail, the electromechanical relay.  While that relay itself may be good, the cap to boost the voltage to open may have failed instead.  Both cases result in a non-operational electromechanical relay, thus preventing the bolt from moving.  The behavior will be exactly as I saw in either case.  If this is supposed to be such an oddity, why is it the Liberty Operator and the locksmith neither one was surprised by the behavior.

Further there was RoHS plastered all over everything internally.  This means it's lead free and increases the likely hood of tin whiskers and a short.  If you're wondering how I know about all this stuff, I was an Engineer for a company that manufactured high reliability equipment for protecting the power grid.  We had issues created by RoHS parts and some of the most likely parts to fail was the electromechanical relays and capacitors.  Here comes that first hand knowledge again!

Your first post being a mouth-foaming righteous indignation party isn't necessarily the best way to start the relationship.

And Brad, this thread has been my first interaction with you and needless to say, you didn't exactly pick the best way to start a relationship either.  All I did was respond to each of your points and then call it like I saw it.

Everyone else in this thread has been awesome.

Don't mind Brad, he's a decent guy but he has never, ever admitted that he was wrong about anything.

I don't mind.  Every forum has at least one.

In Other News and Questions...
If any of you can make it to Boomershoot this year, swing by position 54 and say hi.  My buddies Oleg Volk and Linoge will be next to me in position 55, further down will be my friends from Random Nuclear Strikes.  There are still slots available due to late cancelations.

I had seen a few links here before, I dropped in after a google alert on the link into my site.  I try to pay attention where people are talking about things I wrote to answer questions or engage in comments.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:28:41 PM by minuteman »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
Hello there, minuteman. I'm the resident lock/safe weirdo that actually enjoys breaking locks. Don't mind Brad, most of us are friendly. Others are curmudgeons, but tend to be entertaining.

1) The whole "had to drive five hours for the serial number".  Every Liberty safe I've ever seen has a small tag (on the side or back) with the serial number.  I don’t see any mention of Liberty suggesting he look for the s/n there.  I know from direct experience that’s the first thing they do when you call customer service.  Liberty wants callers to provide serial numbers for good reason.

2) A locksmith taking three hours to get into the safe?  Anyone familiar with gun safes will be familiar with both mechanism types.  They are common units used by multiple manufacturers.  Locksmiths with any experience can work on them with their eyes closed.  Also, even inexperienced locksmiths know to use tungsten bits.  A genuine locksmith attacking a safe with everyday bits?  I don’t think so.  (tungsten carbide bits don't bend/beat up like in the photo, they chip)  I've personally witnessed a locksmith drilling safe several levels better than the Liberty Presidential.  Took him about 30 minutes.

3)  The conditions he describes - beep, but no click - are indicators of a very, very common condition called “Low Battery”.  The safe instructions cover it, along with directions to try a new battery.  Actually, it’s the first suggestion for any mechanism problem.  It's also the first thing Liberty will tell you to try when you call customer service.  I don’t see any mention of the battery, nor an indication that he ever tried a new one.  (Reminds me of a buddy who diagnosed a failed oil pressure gauge by replacing an engine.)

The gap between the fireboards is a big, fat bowl of meh.  The inner fireboard often free-floating, sitting in channels in the door frame.  Some movement is normal.  It’s the outer fireboard layers that are critical.  Also, the only fireboard gap in any of the other pics is towards the bottom of the door, and doesn’t gape.

Brad

1. Most safe companies do not casually expose the serial number anymore. It's a loose security measure to theoretically make it more difficult for bad guys to get inside information. More than a few safe locks look identical on the outside, but are somewhat to very different on the inside.

2. Opening a safe can be done in a fraction of a second, not a pesky and glacial 30 minutes. If you use enough explosives, if you don't care about recovering the contents, or heck, don't want the contents TO be recovered. Opening a safe when you don't care about using it again but want to protect the contents is middle of the road. Not easy, but not that hard. Opening a safe and want to use it again? THAT is hard. And more expensive. And slower, a lot slower. Double, triple checking everything everytime you make ANY step. Locksmith did good on filling the gap too.

Also, "several levels higher" is relative. I've had $15 Walmart Brinks locks that stumped me for years. Still have it, and still have not picked the gorram thing. And I've had $200 locks open in seconds of me raking them for the first time. Security levels are loose things. Yes, a $200 lock is usually and often more secure than a $15 lock. Usually and often, not "always". I never mentally make a bet until I try it out.

3. It's possible. But as he states, he did. It's ok to point out expected common troubleshooting steps, but you can do so in a much more polite manner. "Just checking, but you did reboot, right?" or "Just to be sure, you tried a second oil pressure gauge, yes?"

And the gap of the fireboard would make me nervous. I'd personally reseal said gap before closing everything back up.

Speaking of which... Uhm, whatcha doing with that spare safe lock ya now got there?  Willing to donate it to a good cause, or sell at a reasonable rate?  =D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:28:14 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Also, RoHS is the devil. I just had to desolder a capacitor on a board for our 3 axis CNC wood mill. Desoldering took an 45 minutes, and I still scorched the board a bit. Resoldering with the good stuff took maybe 5 minutes.

Tin whiskers are not quite the devil, but probably a close sibling.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »

Troll...

Me...

Brad

Paging Harold Tuttle, Paging Harold Tuttle, will Mr Tuttle please pick up the white courtesy phone.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

minuteman

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Speaking of which... Uhm, whatcha doing with that spare safe lock ya now got there?  Willing to donate it to a good cause, or sell at a reasonable rate?  =D

I wanted to keep it to throughly dissect all the components, alas Liberty wanted it to send it to S&G for the warranty. I really want to know the exact failure method of that lock. The annoying part of being an engineer and understanding this stuff is wanting to apply that knowledge so you don't make the same mistake later in a different design.

I will be paying a visit to my smith's shop the next time I'm home.  He's got a large collection of military locks among other things. 

Your 1st comment was also something I had issue with about their being a serial on the outside of the safe.  It would make no sense for it to be readily visible to a thief.
2) Yup. See below.
3) Double Yup.

The down side of being me was everyone was wanting me to just strap explosives on the safe and blow it open.  I wasn't fond of the idea, especially given what I had in it. If I had a safe I didn't care about I would have done it in a heart beat.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »
Hello there, minuteman. I'm the resident lock/safe weirdo that actually enjoys breaking locks. Don't mind Brad, most of us are friendly. Others are curmudgeons, but tend to be entertaining.

1. Most safe companies do not casually expose the serial number anymore. It's a loose security measure to theoretically make it more difficult for bad guys to get inside information. More than a few safe locks look identical on the outside, but are somewhat to very different on the inside.

Not according to what I experienced.  Ft Knox, Liberty, AmSec... all of them had the serial number plated or stickered on the outside.  Usually on the back, which is intentional so the owner can get at it but thief can't casually find it (you did bolt your safe to the floor like you're supposed to, right?)

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass.  Just relating my experience and speculating thusly.  In the nine months I worked at the store I sold, delivered, or at the very least assisted in moving, hundreds of the things including swapping them between manual/electric locksets.  I'm not exactly unfamiliar with them.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:02:15 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »
A thought on a failed electrolytic capacitor; I'm assuming that it is place to provide the instant current the magnetic solenoid requires.  As such, when the cap fails, and the solenoid tries to open, the internal resistance of the 9v battery - batteries which aren't great at providing much current - limits current draw to under what the solenoid needs to retract.

It would depends on exactly how the circuit is designed, but I'd think in this case providing a 9v source with higher ampacity would be a sensible idea.  A bench power supply or the like.  Thoughts?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 02:23:09 PM »
Butthurt is a feature, not a bug.

That said, jumping in swinging by accusing someone of being a troll for stating an opinion isn't how we roll here. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”