Author Topic: Bronies. Why'd it have to be bronies?  (Read 8053 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Bronies. Why'd it have to be bronies?
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:45:27 PM »
Last weekend I went to Baltimore with my wife. She had to go there for work so I took a couple days off from work, we extended and made a mini vacation out of it. Good food, a nice hotel room on the inner harbor. Time to tour the historic ships while she works, relaxing and reading by the water. A good time.

We were walking around when my wife pointed out some oddly dressed people. I looked and figured there must be an anime con or something nearby.  Then got a closer look.  Bronies.

Turns out we were there the same weekend as Bronycon 2014.  Around 8000 of them. 

I'm not one to knock other people's hobbies. I read SF and fantasy. I've gone to more than a few SF conventions. I have tons of filk music. I watch anime. But dang they're a weird bunch.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Bronies. Why'd it have to be bronies?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:59:04 PM »
Bronies.

Lower than furries?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
Around 8000 of them.

Should solve the problem

I don't care about tolerance. If you're a brony, you're a *expletive deleted* weirdo, like the weirdest of the weird. Creepier than an uninvited clown at a 12 y.o.'s birthday party.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
The thing is, the show is no good. I even tried to watch it because I thought it must be good or something. It's not.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:22:45 PM »
the show came long after the toy. the sucky part is that there were orginally a lot more ponies, but because of the show, there's now only a small number and almost non of the original popular ones.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
I will persist in the belief that "bronies" are a chimera of the internet. I'm happier that way.

"Filk music." Never heard the term, but I've heard the songs, so I know those exist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
Just WHAT ...

...IN THE UNIVERSE  ...

...is a....

BRONY?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »
Just WHAT ...

...IN THE UNIVERSE  ...

...is a....

BRONY?

You have a short window of time during which to withdraw your request for education.  I urge you to utilize it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
You have a short window of time during which to withdraw your request for education.  I urge you to utilize it.

stay safe.
Are you afraid of Bronies?  :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
Just WHAT ...

...IN THE UNIVERSE  ...

...is a....

BRONY?

Oh, you're going to love this one.

Bronies are dudes who are into a little girl's TV show/toy franchise called My Little Pony. In other words, they are freaky mother *expletive deleted*ers.

It's just another sign of our decline. 50 years ago, if somebody proclaimed themselves to be a Brony they would have had the *expletive deleted* beat out of them. Now they have *expletive deleted* conventions. And dress up in costumes.

More than you ever wanted to know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_fandom

Anime is weird as *expletive deleted*ck on it's own, but Bronies just take it to the next level.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:33:57 PM by Boomhauer »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »
Just WHAT ...

...IN THE UNIVERSE  ...

...is a....

BRONY?

Google is your friend

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony (formerly titled as BronyCon: The Documentary) is a 2012 documentary film centering on bronies, the adult fans of the 2010 animated television series, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The film, funded through crowd-sourcing via Kickstarter, was originally envisioned to follow voice actor and executive producer John de Lancie to the 2012 Summer BronyCon in New Jersey. The project, which was lead by the head Brony, Hugo Flores, raised much more than anticipated, allowing it to grow in scope to bring on Lauren Faust, Friendship Is Magic's original creator, and Tara Strong, a principal voice actress on the show, as executive producers and to include additional convention footage from European conventions.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 11:31:12 PM »

Bronies?  No.

Clowns and spiders?  Yes.

And apparently your time to withdraw your request for information has expired.  So sorry.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »
Bronies are dudes who are into a little girl's TV show/toy franchise called My Little Pony. In other words, they are freaky mother *expletive deleted*ers.

I have little girls (4 and 2) who watch the show.  I watch it with them.  I enjoy it.  It's basically like a lot of 80's sitcom shows that were very formulaic.  I'd say it is about on par with Cheers.  It's certainly less adult than Cheers but overall episodes are about the same story wise.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »
I have little girls (4 and 2) who watch the show.  I watch it with them.  I enjoy it.  It's basically like a lot of 80's sitcom shows that were very formulaic.  I'd say it is about on par with Cheers.  It's certainly less adult than Cheers but overall episodes are about the same story wise.

Are you saying that you are a Brony or that you watch it like a parent with small kids has to watch Barney? Are you way into it like obsessed with it? Do you yearn to attend the Brony conventions?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:28:32 AM by Boomhauer »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 12:25:35 AM »
Are you saying that you are a Brony or that you watch it like a parent with small kids has to watch Barney. Are you way into it like obsessed with it? Do you yearn to attend the Brony conventions?

More questions that should be withdrawn. Please.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 12:46:18 AM »

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »
You went to Baltimore.

There's your problem right there.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »
Hasbro is doing what WB did with Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes back in the 40's 50' and 60's did,  namely add in pop culture references and gags that go over the kids heads and entertain adults.

Clever, but not enough to create a subculture out of, especially one that has creepy pedophillic undertones to it, however unintended it is.
I promise not to duck.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
Like I said originally, I have some odd hobbies myself and I'm not usually one to care what entertains others. Heck, I own Animaniacs on DVD, and even have some H.R. Puffinstuff around here somewhere. And yeah, I owned them before I remarried and acquired step kids. But you don't see me out there dressed up like Yakko or Witchy Poo.

To give a specific example, if you're a middle aged guy with a big grayling handlebar mustache who would look righty at home riding your Harley to your construction job, and you happen to enjoy watching a kids show that's fine. but a gentleman of that description was walking around on the tour of the USS Constellation wearing a military themed brony shirt and a rainbow colored belt covered with my little ponies. T'is a bit freaky.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
You went to Baltimore.

There's your problem right there.

Sawdust
I believe I read that Baltimore has the largest infection rate of syphilis of any major American city . . . combined with something as creepy as a brony convention (is there a connection?) and Maryland gun laws, it seems to be a good place to avoid.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »

Bronies?  No.

Clowns and spiders?  Yes.

And apparently your time to withdraw your request for information has expired.  So sorry.

stay safe.

Well, I asked and was answered.  I can live with it.   

Once I find the brainbleach .... [tinfoil]

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »
Lower than furries?

You know, there are furry bronies.

Two cons ago I ran into a couple (as in, dating each other kind of couple) wearing full ponysuits.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
Two cons ago I ran into a couple (as in, dating each other kind of couple) wearing full ponysuits.

Any chance it was these two?   ???   =|

bob

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »
Any chance it was these two?   ???   =|

bob

No. Same idea, different ponies - they were a pink and a dark blue one.

I guess there are more of them out there...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »

I used to watch "Hey Vern, it's Ernest!" with my 2 1/2 year old girl, many years ago.  It was written kind of on her level more than mine, but it was entertaining for all ages. That might be why it won a couple of Emmys.   (I just found it for sale on Amazon; will have to buy it soon  http://www.amazon.com/Hey-Vern-Its-Ernest-Complete/dp/B004DOTKAK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top )

What some of the reviewers complain about being repetitive is what's known as a "running gag", like "Lonnie Don's School of Hollywood Sound Effects" where every sound effect is him blowing into the palm of his hand to make a fart noise.  It gets funnier with every episode *because* they are all the same.
"It's good, though..."