Author Topic: Shooting at California garlic festival  (Read 2879 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Shooting at California garlic festival
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »
And now it's a WASR-10  :facepalm:
Santino William Legan, a Bay Area native who lived in Walker Lake, Nev., legally bought the WASR-10 semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine at Big Mikes Gun and Ammo in Fallon (Churchill County) on July 9, less than three weeks before Sunday’s shooting, the official said.

And they also throw this in to make it even more scary

The report noted that such semiautomatic firearms are “readily convertible to fire automatically” with a hand drill and $16 worth of unregulated parts. The ATF said the drilling would take less than 60 seconds, plus another five to 10 minutes to install the parts.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Source-Gilroy-Garlic-Festival-shooter-s-rifle-14201639.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&psid=f9OoO

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
from the LA Times:

California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said Monday the investigation might determine that the gunman broke a law by purchasing the weapon in Nevada and bringing it into the state.

“That weapon could not be sold in California. That weapon cannot be imported into the state of California,” he said. “There is a very strong likelihood, as we develop the evidence, that the perpetrator in this particular case violated California law, on top of the crimes of homicide.”

Is it just me, or does that come across as implying that the (alleged) violation of a state gun law is of more concern than murder?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
Newsom touted his and other California leaders’ work to crack down on high-capacity magazines and increase background checks for guns and ammunition purchases. He blasted Republicans and pro-gun groups trying to roll back gun-control policies in states like California.

“California’s doing its part, but Jesus, these guys, the folks in the White House have been supporting the kinds of policies that roll back the work that we’re doing,” he said. “It keeps happening, over and over and over again, on their damned watch.”

Oh, sure. Like there were no mass shootings during the eight years Obama was in office. Except:

• Pine Lake Rehab Center -- 7 killed, 3 wounded
  • American Civic Association -- 13 killed, 4 wounded
  • Fort Hood (1) -- 13 killed, 30 wounded
  • Aurora Theater -- 12 killed, 70 wounded/injured
  • Washington Navy Yard -- 12 killed, 3 wounded
  • Sandy Hook -- 27 killed, 2 wounded
  • Fort Hood (2) -- 3 killed, 14 wounded

There are a lot more on the list. The ones I cited are just examples.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:30:14 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
from the LA Times:

Is it just me, or does that come across as implying that the (alleged) violation of a state gun law is of more concern than murder?

It does seem that way.  And it also proves that gun laws do very little to deter crimes committed with firearms.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2019, 03:32:45 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2019, 08:42:09 PM »
Looks like the perp killed himself, contrary to police reports:

https://idahonews.com/news/nation-world/coroner-finds-california-festival-gunman-killed-himself-contradicting-police-account

But authorities arrested a man earlier this week on suspicion of making threats online that apparently referenced the deadly shooting. Jose Pinon, 40, of Gilroy, posted Wednesday on Facebook that "my goal is to kill 500, not three," Gilroy police said.

What kind of a moron posts something like that right after something like this?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2019, 11:05:27 PM »
Where did you read AK63D? Unless I missed it somewhere.
Now there is a SKS D, it's a model that takes AK-47 mags. That model would be flatly illegal in CA

From the actual pictures of the rifle, and people that can tell the various AK designs better than me.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2019, 11:39:21 PM »
Looks like the perp killed himself, contrary to police reports:

https://idahonews.com/news/nation-world/coroner-finds-california-festival-gunman-killed-himself-contradicting-police-account

From that report,  and from a radio news report I heard,  it appears the police shot him, he collapsed, then shot himself in the head.

It's sort of "a difference that makes no difference."  The police still stopped him.  I suspect had he had the chance he'd have continued shooting people.  I won't venture to guess whether or not he would have commited suicide under other circumstances.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
It seems like a pattern that mass shooters commit suicide as soon as they encounter credible resistance. In that case I still give credit to whoever put up the resistance. I think that type of fast response is key to limiting the body count in cases like this. Sort of like how fire departments can't stop fires from being started but they know their response time makes a huge difference in the outcome.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
Anyone else notice that this story disappeared from the news cycle narrative really fast?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
Anyone else notice that this story disappeared from the news cycle narrative really fast?

No MAGA hat found
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »
No MAGA hat found

And no Muslims, LBGTQXYZs, snowflakes, or other distressed minorities killed, just regular Americans. And we all know that regular Americans don't count.

I'm sure that, somewhere, there's someone thinking, "They deserved to die for not using the Garlic Festival as a venue for another Gay Pride parade."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
No MAGA hat found

Exactly. We would be in trains or camps by now if there was one. Same as the Vegas shooting, the Barstow club shooting, etc.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.