Author Topic: Don't any of you people work?  (Read 5853 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Don't any of you people work?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »
I work 2nd shift, and like mtnbkr a good chunk of my day is spent waiting for something to happen (like the end of transferring a 4 GB file at the moment).  Things are stable unless the head honcho breaks something.

I have been a layabout good for nothing ever since.

Ahhh yes.  Short-timers syndrome.  I love that.  Great feeling to be able to look about at all the blood on the floors, walls, ceiling and other operators and say "Gee, what a mess. Poor Jo." rather than getting upset about it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
Got myself unemployed at the beginning of the month, start the new one in a couple weeks.

I'm not wearing pants right now.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 01:52:18 PM »
I hope you don't have a vinyl chair. laugh
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
"I'm not wearing pants right now."

This thread is definitely better off without pictures! Wink

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »

I do, and I don't have to worry about sliding off.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

crt360

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 02:39:17 PM »
I start my workday somewhere between 5 and 8 am and end it somewhere between 8 pm and 12 am.  I have a computer in my office which allows me quick access to APS.  I check it out while I'm eating breakfast, occasionally during lunch and again late afternoon/early evening for a few minutes.  Sometimes, I accidentally leave an APS window open and it looks like I'm here all day (and night) when I'm really doing something else.  My job doesn't really have idle time - I have to create it (it's expensive, but sometimes it keeps me from losing my mind and going off on someone that may or may not deserve it).
For entertainment purposes only.

Paddy

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »
Got myself unemployed at the beginning of the month,
'Excessive internet usage'?

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=1210.msg17320#msg17320

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »
More not choosing my battles wisely (I choose to fight ALL of them) nor thinking through to whom I am addressing emails criticizing (dumb) company policies.

I have all sorts of bad work habits in the line before internet usage. Smiley

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »
And, he's ugly. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
OK I get it.  Most of you are IT people.

Nope, I write software.  That's different than IT.  The IT guys are responsible for keeping my computer running smooth  laugh

Don't worry - it's not any s/w that you are likely to see, unless you work on jet aircraft engines.

If I start getting scarce, then you will know I got busy.  In the meantime, I mowed about a 1/4 mile of 12-14' wide driveway today with a walk-behind mower (grass and weeds a couple feet tall).  I also got our colt putting two front feet in the trailer reliably.  Learning to sit a trot bareback, too.  Yeah, I'm just a lazy bum.  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »
And, he's ugly. 

Goes without saying.  grin

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 04:50:41 PM »
Nope, I write software.  That's different than IT.  The IT guys are responsible for keeping my  computer running smooth

You coders write the code that runs on your computers... if it doesn't run smoothly, whose fault is that, really?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »
Nope.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »
I am in the military stuck in Baghdad.  My job is rather boring most times, which is good in my line of work right now.  So plenty of time to be on the puter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 05:56:39 PM »
Got myself unemployed at the beginning of the month, start the new one in a couple weeks.

Where does that line come from? One of the guys from my fraternity uses it from time to time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »

Where does that line come from? One of the guys from my fraternity uses it from time to time.

I don't know, I think I just came up with it.

-edit-

Nope, googled it.

It's from the Kentucky Fried Movie

Newscaster: I'm not wearing any pants. Film at eleven.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 06:15:17 PM »

I do, and I don't have to worry about sliding off.  grin

Just...just...just...
the shear wrong of this...  I can't....

JFC!

grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »
My job used to require me to be "on-call" at a computer most of the day.  Most of the time I didn't have any actual work to perform, but I had to be there just in case.  I was a captive audience.

Circumstances have changed and I no longer have that job.  I frequent these forums much less often now that the time comes out of my pocket.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »
I'm in front of this computer pretty much all day. About 4 pm, I'll take a break to visit APS and THR, then go back to work again for a while, then shut the computer down.

I guess there must be a lot of IT people into guns, because traffic to my website peaks in the afternoon, then drops off in the evening and on weekends. Wink

Derelict computers are just begging to be shot. Hard drive carnage!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Actually, this is a question Ive wanted to ask ever since wandering in to this termite hill.  Im self-employed as a wandering notary and its been a slower month than usual, bills will be a challenge next month.

Some days are spent within earshot of the computer waiting for closing opportunities; APS is my window into a rational world.  If one can call all of you folks rational that is.  <Maybe not fistful.>
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 07:52:23 AM »
You coders write the code that runs on your computers... if it doesn't run smoothly, whose fault is that, really?

I don't write the operating system, nor the myriad applications (mostly Microslop) that we must use.  Neither do I make the hardware nor set up the network access.  laugh

I doubt the IT guys know an "object" from a "for loop" - but they perform a useful and necessary task.  I was just pointing out that the two are entirely different occupations, regardless of the fact that computers are involved in both.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
Uncle Sam thanks me once a month for my many years of service.

I only drive my truck during a 48 hr period every week..600 mi out, 600 mi back.

Our nest is empty.

I post between bouts of reloading, lawn & garden care, channel surfing, banging around in the kitchen, taking a nap, or whatever else strikes my fancy 5 days a week.

Not only may I not be wearing any pants right now, I could be buck naked.  Could also be buck naked while I'm rolling down the highway in my 18 wheeler...there's no law against it.

No, there are no pictures available.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 10:28:42 AM »
What's the line from Seinfeld where he meets the naked guy on the subway?

Guy: "I'm not ashamed of my body."

Seinfeld: "There's the problem.  You should be."

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
HTH do you get away with posting on forums all day?  police

My monitor faces away from my office door.  I face towards the door.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2007, 05:14:36 PM »
"Summertime, and the livin' is easy..."

Awesome song Cosine; one of my favorite Sublime toons.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.