Author Topic: fixing cracked cd/blu-ray disc  (Read 1153 times)

Iain

• friend
fixing cracked cd/blu-ray disc
« on: July 10, 2008, 12:29:51 AM »
Disaster - COD4 disc has a crack.

It's in the clear plastic area in the centre extending to the centre hole. Pretty sure none of data containing area is cracked. PS3 won't spin it up though. Figure it may be worth a tiny dab of glue at the point where it is cracked around the centre hole, or is this just a plan doomed to disaster?

On another note - 512mb ram is not enough for Vista. There has been two substantial freezes whilst attempting to make this post.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: fixing cracked cd/blu-ray disc
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:33:53 AM »
On another note - 512mb ram is not enough for Vista. There has been two substantial freezes whilst attempting to make this post.

shocked

You might as well be trying to drive up a near-vertical incline in a Yugo towing a trailer, there...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »
Slow day at work, with an even slower computer.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »
Iain,

Those discs spin at high enough speeds that you don't want one to fail structurally inside your drive.  It's not the "OMG it'll asplode and kill you" sort of thing that is rumoured on the interwebs, but a flawed disc that fails will pretty well trash the inside of the drive, and that's more expensive to fix than just buying a new game.

How old is the disc?  If you bought it recently, you might be able to get the store to exchange it for a new copy.

If not, you might be able to talk the manufacturer into sending you a replacement disc if you send then the flawed one, for cheaper than buying the game again.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:44:16 AM »
Iain,

Those discs spin at high enough speeds that you don't want one to fail structurally inside your drive.  It's not the "OMG it'll asplode and kill you" sort of thing that is rumoured on the interwebs, but a flawed disc that fails will pretty well trash the inside of the drive, and that's more expensive to fix than just buying a new game.

How old is the disc?  If you bought it recently, you might be able to get the store to exchange it for a new copy.

If not, you might be able to talk the manufacturer into sending you a replacement disc if you send then the flawed one, for cheaper than buying the game again.

-BP

This is true. Materials failure is sudden, and it'll trash your PS3, if that's what you're talking about. The refusal to spin up a cracked disk is the PS3 trying to preserve itself.