Author Topic: More on the sad state of American Education (and school lunches)  (Read 3642 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
http://www.wcyb.com/news/officials-review-guidelines-after-yearsold-meat-is-served-at-hawkins-co-schools/32649968

Parents and Superintendents are up in arms because somewhere in the school they served SIX YEAR OLD MEAT!!! (that had been frozen)

It was SIX YEARS OLD!! (and frozen the whole time)

I mean, they're not really sure who ate it because, of course, no one got sick as there is no danger from meat frozen that long.

But it was SIX YEARS OLD! Possibly older than the possible children who possibly may have been kindergartners who may have possibly eaten SIX YEAR OLD MEAT! (to no ill effects)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: More on the sad state of American Education (and school lunches)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
 :facepalm:

Stupid is as stupid does.

Do the people who are upset believe that if the school had served 6 year old meat that had not been frozen, anyone would have actually eaten it? [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
A day without something to complain about is, like, a day when nobody is paying attention to me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
The horrors.  Imagine if they had to eat emergency rations and how old some of that food could be.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »
The TV talking heads are a) saying it had "a rank smell", "stunk", or otherwise was not olefactorily enticing.  Also suggesting that over the 6 years the frozen condition might have changed due to power outages, thus rendering it refrozen thawed food.

And the school has just started a policy of requiring all foodstuff to be used within 1 year or thrown away.

FEMA looks at schools stocking for long-term (6 months) emergency shelter use, while Waffle House figures having three times it's weekly use will carry it over during disaster incidents (along with their standby generators and humongous propane tanks that are never supposed to go below 1/2 empty).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
How many complaining parents were paying for the lunches? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »
They need to riot and burn the school down, that will fix the problem.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
They need to riot and burn the school down, that will fix the problem.

Maybe. Progress is made one step at a time.   =D   :old:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=441269
Charles Lamb's essay, A Dissertation upon Roast Pig --

Lamb recounts a Chinese fable in which mischievous Bo-Bo (Could Lamb have meant Bob-o?), the son of the swineherd, Ho-ti, burns down the family cottage and, alas, the nine hogs sharing the living space perish. But there's good news; he discovers the gastronomic wonder of roast pig when he puts his fingers into his mouth after burning them on one of the crispy critters. When Ho-ti returns he makes the same discovery and, thereafter, is seen regularly burning down his cottage to enjoy this delicacy. The practice catches on and soon villagers, far and wide, are burning down their cottages to enjoy roast pig.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »
Waffle House figures having three times it's weekly use will carry it over during disaster incidents (along with their standby generators and humongous propane tanks that are never supposed to go below 1/2 empty).

So, half a roll of paper towels and two Clorox wipes?

I've had at least ten year old meat that hadn't even been frozen and it was fine, if a bit tough.

Of course, it was mooing the day before we ate it, so that might change things a bit.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »
So, half a roll of paper towels and two Clorox wipes?

I've had at least ten year old meat that hadn't even been frozen and it was fine, if a bit tough.

Of course, it was mooing the day before we ate it, so that might change things a bit.

There's your problem - you were too much in a rush.  Should have aged it a while.  (OK, not 6 years.  Maybe closer to somewhere between 28 & 45 days.)

stay safe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »

If properly stored with a commercial grade freezer with no power or temperature interruptions, not a big deal.

If there WAS power or temperature issues, like the freezer breaking down or losing power... Then yeah, it needs to be tossed.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »
There's your problem - you were too much in a rush.  Should have aged it a while.  (OK, not 6 years.  Maybe closer to somewhere between 28 & 45 days.)

We did save most of it for later, but we hadn't (knowingly) eaten a cow that old before, so we tested a couple of steaks right away to see if we should just have it all ground up into burgers or sausages.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
If properly stored with a commercial grade freezer with no power or temperature interruptions, not a big deal.

If there WAS power or temperature issues, like the freezer breaking down or losing power... Then yeah, it needs to be tossed.
But at that point most of the younger meat might need to be tossed also. 

What I was wondering is if the meat smelled bad, why did they still eat it?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
How many complaining parents were paying for the lunches? 

IDK, if I was paying for my kids lunch, I'd be pretty peeved about 6 year old questionably frozen meat being served.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 11:10:27 PM »
IDK, if I was paying for my kids lunch, I'd be pretty peeved about 6 year old questionably frozen meat being served.

But it was not questionable - you could thump it in the stainless steel table and tell it was frozen.

Just not how many times.

And if it stank, what does that say about the indoctrination of the kids who paid for it and ate it, as opposed to leaving it and not paying?

stay safe.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 11:54:04 PM »
But it was not questionable - you could thump it in the stainless steel table and tell it was frozen.

Just not how many times.

And if it stank, what does that say about the indoctrination of the kids who paid for it and ate it, as opposed to leaving it and not paying?

stay safe.

You are far removed from your school day lunches, but I recall that there really wasn't much in  way of sniffing food before it was slopped on your tray, and you paid for the entire lunch, wither you wanted it all or not.
Mind you, we usually did want those nasty rolls, but not for eating. They were nearly as good as playdoh and provided an intrepid little person with appropriately disgusting missiles to fling at ones enemies.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 02:14:36 AM »
You are far removed from your school day lunches, but I recall that there really wasn't much in  way of sniffing food before it was slopped on your tray, and you paid for the entire lunch, wither you wanted it all or not.
Mind you, we usually did want those nasty rolls, but not for eating. They were nearly as good as playdoh and provided an intrepid little person with appropriately disgusting missiles to fling at ones enemies.

Not talking about sniffing the slop before it hit your tray.  Talking about walking away leaving your tray on that slider trough.

And you are right - I never had a school lunch till I got to college and the mandatory freshperson meal plan (which I cashed in during the second week).  Home schooled before it was called home schooling - and since we were living out of hotels in foreign countries I got restaurant meals.  Yummy restaurant-where-the-locals-ate meals.

stay safe.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »
What I was wondering is if the meat smelled bad, why did they still eat it?

I seem to recall reading that it smelled bad to the lunchroom staff, so they masked the smell with some sort of gravy. That sounds criminal to me.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
I seem to recall reading that it smelled bad to the lunchroom staff, so they masked the smell with some sort of gravy. That sounds criminal to me.

Could be used as a teachable moment.
Badly preserved/bad smelling meat was a big driving force behind the spice trade and the search for new trade routes which led to the discovery of America :laugh:

I've often bought ground beef from the grocery store that had a slightly sour smell to it after being unwrapped- a little season salt makes it all better.
People put lemon/lime juice on fish to neutralize the amine smell caused by the decay of the meat.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »

Food Lyin'.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
If it smells bad to a Lunch Lady ....

Just sayin'.

stay safe.