Author Topic: Countdown Syria: nerve gas to be used on the Syrian people?  (Read 5508 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Countdown Syria: nerve gas to be used on the Syrian people?
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
It's not just about funneling weapons to extremists.

It's about bringing those same people here after we conclude a "peace."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
The major reason we are all up in the trees about WMDs in general, and nerve gas in particular, is that we fear such an assault by terrorists on our soil, and so want to be able to credibly threaten nuclear retaliation while maintaining our smug and sanctimonious sense of moral superiority.  I fully embrace the notion of American exceptionalism, btw, but the particular weapon we choose to smite evil has nothing to do with it.

The more NBC weapons the screaming mullahs use in the middle east and north africa, the less of them (NBC weapons and screaming Mullahs) will be around, let alone available to use these weapons in the western hemisphere.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
From what I can see around me we need to broaden and deepen our definition of "WMD."  I see the destruction of our culture, high and low, as the result of numerous variants of "WMDs" used against this nation's heart and soul.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »
Speaking of funneling weapons into the hands of extremists....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/6/muslim-brotherhood-inherits-us-war-gear/

.... looks like it wont just be post-soviet era crap from Gadaffi's horde, but shiny new U.S. arms as well. I'm suddenly reminded of the scene in Iron Man where Tony Stark nearly gets killed by a mortar round emblazoned "Stark Industries." I wonder how many Javelins and Stingers are included along with the M1A1's and F-16's?

This is my shocked face -> =|

If they go off the reservation, no more spare parts and maint contracts. The prblem fixes itself, to some extent.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »
Would someone please explain to me why over 1.5 years of Assad killing his own people is ok, but it's suddenly an outrage now that he's about to use chemicals?

I come here to the Politics section to learn about what's really going on in the world.
You guys are better than any "news" source to me.

Because it's just not sporting old chap.
Look, tiny text!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »
Yep, it's not sporting. :D

From what I can see around me we need to broaden and deepen our definition of "WMD."  I see the destruction of our culture, high and low, as the result of numerous variants of "WMDs" used against this nation's heart and soul.

Our worst enemy is US (The enemy within). We will "right and wrong" the nation to its knees.  The US Supreme Court could be called a WMD.

If Assad uses chemical agents, I don't think we should respond with a war.  We won't win.  We won't gain anything.  So why should we bother fighting for people who have no interest in freedom. They are just another part of the raging hord of muslims that will eventually descend upon us.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
Yep, it's not sporting. :D

Our worst enemy is US (The enemy within). We will "right and wrong" the nation to its knees.  The US Supreme Court could be called a WMD.

If Assad uses chemical agents, I don't think we should respond with a war.  We won't win.  We won't gain anything.  So why should we bother fighting for people who have no interest in freedom. They are just another part of the raging hord of muslims that will eventually descend upon us.

Do you really think the US military is incapable of kicking Syria's butt back to the Pliocene???
It really is only a matter of will.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should -- and given the milquetoast who is in office I really think it would be to our general benefit to avoid another sandbox war altogether.  We have plenty of problems at home and our current foreign policy is going to screw up the world enough as it is. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
Do you really think the US military is incapable of kicking Syria's butt back to the Pliocene???
It really is only a matter of will.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should -- and given the milquetoast who is in office I really think it would be to our general benefit to avoid another sandbox war altogether.  We have plenty of problems at home and our current foreign policy is going to screw up the world enough as it is. >:D

Yeah, just like we quickly and cleanly beat the crap out of saddam's army, and the taliban...

Only problem is, then the nation building and insurgency starts. I'm sick of that.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Yeah, just like we quickly and cleanly beat the crap out of saddam's army, and the taliban...

Only problem is, then the nation building and insurgency starts. I'm sick of that.

True dat.   If we just could "nuke them from orbit..."   [tinfoil]
Seriously we SHOULD just blow the **** outta the next country  we fight and leave it that way.  No nation building cr@p; just let them fix it themselves if they think they can.  Maybe the nutcakes would decide to keep their squabbles away from us.

Ever see the movie "The Mouse That Roared?"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
That would require leadership, and a populace, with balls.

Neither of which america has
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
True dat.   If we just could "nuke them from orbit..."   [tinfoil]
Seriously we SHOULD just blow the **** outta the next country  we fight and leave it that way.  No nation building cr@p; just let them fix it themselves if they think they can.  Maybe the nutcakes would decide to keep their squabbles away from us.

Ever see the movie "The Mouse That Roared?"

Agreed.
Annihilate regime.
Leave, see what develops,
If we don't like it, do it again.

At some point, either they will get the idea, or the area will be depopulated.

Sort of a lather-rinse-repeat for nations.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
Agreed.
Annihilate regime.
Leave, see what develops,
If we don't like it, do it again.

At some point, either they will get the idea, or the area will be depopulated.

Sort of a lather-rinse-repeat for nations.

The simplicity of this holds a certain appeal.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »
If chemical or biological weapons are used, I fully expect the USA to be there via NATO.  Our President doesn't have the stones to do something like this on his own.

All that said, I say...  let them fight it out themselves and see who wins.  The human cost is not our problem unless it is our people.  If we actually do fight there, what on earth would be gain and I feel we have to gain something.  Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and Egypt have really worked out for us and our ideals whatever they are anymore.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
The simplicity of this holds a certain appeal.

Operation Reset Button.

A thought, other than the secret nuclear facility that got flattened, has Assad really done anything to cheese off Israel? I'm curious if they might intervene on his behalf simply because they'd rather keep a noisy-but-mostly-harmless dictator next door rather than letting the screaming beards take over. Be kinda a bad proposition to allow the fanatics to slowly surround your country by topping the regional governments. Speaking of, anything of interest coming out of Jordan?