Author Topic: stephen colbert for SC senate?  (Read 2768 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
stephen colbert for SC senate?
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/stephen-colbert-for-senate-jim-demint-south-carolina_n_2250736.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular,stephen-colbert

i can't imagine him giving up his show, but he could likely have the seat if he were serious.  entertainers are good at being on camera (one of the reasons president reagan was so well loved imo), and already have a fan/voter base.  i am curious how, as a real senator, his views would be different than his well known character.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

brimic

• friends
Re: stephen colbert for SC senate?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
i am curious how, as a real senator, his views would be different than his well known character.

Colbert is a collectivist who only plays a conservative on tv.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:22 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/stephen-colbert-for-senate-jim-demint-south-carolina_n_2250736.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular,stephen-colbert

i can't imagine him giving up his show, but he could likely have the seat if he were serious.  entertainers are good at being on camera (one of the reasons president reagan was so well loved imo), and already have a fan/voter base.  i am curious how, as a real senator, his views would be different than his well known character.

His character is a caricature of a conservative pundit. Colbert, like John Stewart, is a fairly doctrinaire progressive.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »
His character is a caricature of a conservative pundit. Colbert, like John Stewart, is a fairly doctrinaire progressive.

This right here.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
Hell no we dont want him.

Sad to see DeMint get out but I understand why. We will see who Gov. Haley picks...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
Isn't one professional comedian, Al Franken, in the Senate travesty enough? We know Congress is a joke, there's no need to continually prove it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:25:27 AM »
Colbert is a collectivist who only plays a conservative on tv.

I don't know if that is entirely true. He seemed to portray Ron Paul in a pretty good light.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »
^^^ well, it's hard not to.  rp was the mary poppins of presidential candidates.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
America has been a combination of MTV and Saturday night live for the last 30 years. All this is just inevitable.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »
I'm still waiting for the rest of the cast of Predator to run for governor somewhere. Carl Weathers, I'm looking at you.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
Tim Scott is reportedly the frontrunner to replace Demint.  Scott has fits of conservatism but no where close to Demint.  He'll do as a fill in.  Bad news is that makes 2014 a year in which both senate seats up for grab, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen. 

The fact that Demint is bailing out early makes me wonder about what will be happening in the senate.  Reid is already preping the battlefield for use of the nuclear option (eliminating the 60 vote hurdle to conduct business). . . . . the very same nuclear option spinelessrepublicans discussed and dismissed in years past.  The only factor differentiating the house from the senate is 60 vote requirement.  Direct election of senators was a bad, bad mistake and now we will see why.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 09:44:50 PM »
Isn't one professional comedian, Al Franken, in the Senate travesty enough? We know Congress is a joke, there's no need to continually prove it.

I didn't vote for him and I don't like him -- but he's growing on he.   Much to my chagrin I kind of respect the job he's doing in the Senate.  He's so much better than "Senator Amy".  He sends out regular newsletters, and he personally answers his email, and he'll even meet you for breakfast to discuss whatever when he's in town.  When he presided of the senate (a freshman senator shıt-job) he made them follow the rules (the senior senators were trying to get away with something, I don't recall what, and he called them out on it.)  I wish we could get a decent Republican in there, but Franken is better than that dooshbag Norm Coleman.
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:29:18 AM »
Tim Scott is reportedly the frontrunner to replace Demint.  Scott has fits of conservatism but no where close to Demint.  He'll do as a fill in.  Bad news is that makes 2014 a year in which both senate seats up for grab, which I thought wasn't supposed to happen. 

so will both of them be 6 year terms, or will one be less so the elections are staggered again?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
I didn't vote for him and I don't like him -- but he's growing on he.   Much to my chagrin I kind of respect the job he's doing in the Senate.  He's so much better than "Senator Amy".  He sends out regular newsletters, and he personally answers his email, and he'll even meet you for breakfast to discuss whatever when he's in town.  When he presided of the senate (a freshman senator shıt-job) he made them follow the rules (the senior senators were trying to get away with something, I don't recall what, and he called them out on it.)  I wish we could get a decent Republican in there, but Franken is better than that dooshbag Norm Coleman.

Interesting take. Thanks. I still think the man's a whining putz, but if he's doing the job to your satisfaction, fair enough.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »

Watch the Julian Assange interview that Colbert did. Probably the best response to Mr Assange, calmly and logically despite the fact that you could tell Colbert was very serious and displeased.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Watch the Julian Assange interview that Colbert did. Probably the best response to Mr Assange, calmly and logically despite the fact that you could tell Colbert was very serious and displeased.

Stewart has some moments where he's pretty good, too, usually when he's taking on his own side. Doesn't change the fact that he's a progressive and probably wouldn't be our friend if he were a member of congress.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:30 AM »
. . . Franken is better than that dooshbag Norm Coleman.
Given that most politicians of both parties are scum, are you saying that Coleman would have voted for Obamacare the way Franken did?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain