Author Topic: .gov to Monitor Bus Conversations  (Read 2181 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
.gov to Monitor Bus Conversations
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:26:10 PM »
Well, my avoidance of public transportation seems to be looking like a better and better philosophy:

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-plans-audio-surveillance-on-buses-2012-12
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: .gov to Monitor Bus Conversations
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Here's to you Mister Orwell, a man before your time. Cheers.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »
This actually tempts me to spend time on public buses, discussing possible terrorist targets and how they might be attacked...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:52:26 AM »
This actually tempts me to spend time on public buses, discussing possible terrorist targets and how they might be attacked...

Do you mind if I have pretend cell phone calls with you about this?  The lulz when THEY put the two conversations together ought to be awesome.

The only drawback I see to this plan is that I'd have to actually get on a public transit bus.  That means waiting an hour or more so I can catch the bus that supposedly runs every 40 minutes.  And the wait times if I transfer from one route to another are just as bad, if not worse.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:55 AM »
I was thinking more of spending a day, going from bus to bus. Maybe talking on the phone about terrorist attacks... and have a "working manuscript" on a sterile laptop for a novel which features such an attack...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:39:26 AM »
This will not work out well for them.  The conversations/soliloquys that they hear will rot their minds and drive them crazy.

How I wish that I could transcribe some of the everyday *expletive deleted*it that I hear for you all....
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:22 AM »
Over 300 buses in San Fran alone.  Limit this to the big 20 cities, and you're  talking 6,000+ cameras to monitor.  And on public buses...not too often I say this but I feel sorry for the low level types stuck  having to watch/listen to all of that feed.  Oh  what they will hear...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
It's been well over 30 years since I last "enjoyed" US public transportation. Do buses still smell bad?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »
It's been well over 30 years since I last "enjoyed" US public transportation. Do buses still smell bad?

No.  It's most of the people on the buses that stink, not the buses.  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what they have to have.   Smell-O-Vision !!!

And yes, I've taken the bus a couple of times while downtown.  Just listening to the conversations will suck IQ points right out through your ears.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:28:53 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what they to have.   Smell-O-Vision !!!

And yes, I've taken the bus a couple of times while downtown.  Just listening to the conversations will suck IQ points right out through your ears.

When I've rode the bus I've learned quickly the value of keeping my ipod running.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
Gotta wear this t-shirt aytime you're on a bus.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
Did he ever return?
No he never returned
And his fate is still unlearn'd
He may ride forever
'neath the streets of Boston
He's the man who never returned.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Over 300 buses in San Fran alone.  Limit this to the big 20 cities, and you're  talking 6,000+ cameras to monitor.  And on public buses...not too often I say this but I feel sorry for the low level types stuck  having to watch/listen to all of that feed.  Oh  what they will hear...

You miss the point. 

It's not about feasibility.  It's about precedent.

Sigh.  I hate buses.

I'm thinking about a petition drive here in AZ to prohibit buses from stopping at that annoying place 50 feet past a stoplight-controlled intersection where they don't have a bus cutout for the stop there.  It always causes accidents and traffic jams.  It'd be nice if everyone in AZ collectively said via referendum:

1. No bus stops, without cutouts that remove the bus from interfering with the flow of traffic, within 100 feet of intersections with stoplights.
2. No public funds to pay for requisite cutouts or refurbishment of routes to comply with the law.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!