Author Topic: One of the reasons why we are winning  (Read 1336 times)

drewtam

• friend
One of the reasons why we are winning
« on: May 18, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
First let me establish that we are winning...

Ever since the AWB of late 94, Ruby Ridge (92), and Waco (93) which fed into the later Republican, it seems gun rights activists have been making steady, incremental gains. Open carry states were convinced to create concealed carry permits. License to carry states moved to constitutional carry. Major SCOTUS victories with Heller and McDonald have created break through momentum in the gun rights movement, while the slow decline of violent crime in the country has only vindicated the ideas of the movement.

But all that success bred complacency. When Federal Democrat politicians promised "we aren't coming for your guns", many of the non-enthusiast public believed them. They thought the 90s taught them to leave that issue alone. The momentum of years before began to slow a little with Obama and House Democrat sweeping victories. With the economy in meltdown, withdrawals pending in Iraq and Afghanistan, it seemed the Federal legislature had its hands full. So for the first 4yrs not much overt action was taken on the topic.

That situation was dramatically changed with the catastrophe of Sandy Hook. With anti-rights congressman in office, a supporting major news and entertainment organizations, and a anti-rights narrative ready to go (just waiting for the right crime) a full frontal assault on rights was attempted, with discussion of a renewed AWB.
That attack failed.

Then they feinted for backdoor registration schemes.
That attack failed.

The only success they have seen is a few State houses. But even there the battle can accurately be described as a stalemate. While some States have increased restriction, others have supported gun rights (see the Chin Up! thread) with more Constitution carry, campus carry liberalization, and even Illinois is on the precipice of major liberalization.

The biggest assault on our rights in 20yrs and it has been blunted and parried from Federal to State.  [ar15]
The gun rights group remained unified in political pressure and message. The numerous small gun, ammo and accessory manufacturers remained unified with gun owners. The biggest political groups (NRA, 2AF, GOA) did not back down, did not water down the message. Articulate pundits across the blogosphere brought superb data, dialectic and rhetoric arguments to bear against the emotionalism of the anti-liberty.

That established, I notice this cultural "coincidence...
http://bgr.com/2013/05/17/google-fiber-broadcast-television-impact-analysis/
TV show audiences have been falling for a long time, but recently the decline has turned into a plunge. According to Goldman Sachs, ratings in the 18-49 year demo dropped by a hideous 17% last winter, the steepest drop ever. “American Idol” is losing nearly 25% of its audience in a year. Most of the big new shows have been disasters and old staples like “Survivor” and “Dancing with Stars” are in free fall.

Everyone has long known that the broadcast dinosaurs are in trouble but it is only now becoming clear just how rapidly they are losing their grip on consumers in the United States. This coincides with rapid growth of time spent on mobile apps: American iPhone owners now waste two hours per day on apps and annualized growth of daily engagement still tops 30%. But it also opens up completely new vistas for Netflix, Amazon, Google and Apple when it comes to video distribution.

I suggest that as I write this message on an internet forum, the late X'ers, Millennial (born 82-02) and next generation (still being born) is walking away from the major media control, at least, for now. And this is having a major impact on narrative control for all generations of news consumers. This loss of narrative control is a major contributor to today's gun rights' victories. The loss of narrative control gets our message out, to counteract the partisanship of most news sources. It allows us to defend our positions on our own terms, we don't need a talking head to put words in our mouths.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: One of the reasons why we are winning
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
suggest that as I write this message on an internet forum, the late X'ers, Millennial (born 82-02) and next generation (still being born) is walking away from the major media control, at least, for now. And this is having a major impact on narrative control for all generations of news consumers. This loss of narrative control is a major contributor to today's gun rights' victories. The loss of narrative control gets our message out, to counteract the partisanship of most news sources. It allows us to defend our positions on our own terms, we don't need a talking head to put words in our mouths.

This old phart boomer (58 in a couple weeks) walked away a long time ago.

More thoughts later.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
So, the move is away from over the air or private cable distribution methods that are at most government regulated, to internet distribution which is government owned.  Is this truly progress?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
“American Idol” is losing nearly 25% of its audience in a year. Most of the big new shows have been disasters and old staples like “Survivor” and “Dancing with Stars” are in free fall.
More than anything else I've read in the last week, this gives me hope for my country.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
So, the move is away from over the air or private cable distribution methods that are at most government regulated, to internet distribution which is government owned.  Is this truly progress?

I'm unfamiliar with .gov ownership of the internet. Care to expand on that concept a bit?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
More than anything else I've read in the last week, this gives me hope for my country.

It gets even better- Duck Dynasty, of all shows,  beat American Idol in ratings.
No TV would be even better, but DD looks like good wholesome entertainment to me.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with .gov ownership of the internet. Care to expand on that concept a bit?

Al Gore invented it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:02:06 AM »
20 years ago, I had at least one show I watched every night, and watched the news (local and network) daily.  Now, there are a couple of shows I watch/dvr in a week.  The news?  Rarely watched.  I get my news on-line or on HLN (and then follow up on line).  Too easy to get information on my tablet.  And I do too much to sit for hours staring at the crap shows on TV uch of the time.

As to how it effects 2A issues, I don't know.  One thing I have noticed is that there are a lot more women taking up shooting for sport and protection  than I ever saw 25 years ago when I started shooting.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:13:56 AM »
20 years ago, I had at least one show I watched every night, and watched the news (local and network) daily.  Now, there are a couple of shows I watch/dvr in a week.  The news?  Rarely watched.  I get my news on-line or on HLN (and then follow up on line).  Too easy to get information on my tablet.  And I do too much to sit for hours staring at the crap shows on TV uch of the time.

As to how it effects 2A issues, I don't know.  One thing I have noticed is that there are a lot more women taking up shooting for sport and protection  than I ever saw 25 years ago when I started shooting.
+1

I usually have my pad or a book out, so I am not sure if the TV is the primary entertainment or secondary noise behind reading or surfing.  When I do watch, I am looking for a movie on or mindless stuff like TruTV. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
+1

I usually have my pad or a book out, so I am not sure if the TV is the primary entertainment or secondary noise behind reading or surfing.  When I do watch, I am looking for a movie on or mindless stuff like TruTV. 

When I'm watching for real, it's usually something for laughs (Big Bang Theory), something with guns and scenery (Hawaii 5-0 or NCIS/NCIS:LA), or something rare that I would qualify as good entertainment (Justified).  Other than that, sports are about the only thing I will watch without the addition of my tablet or a book.  Drives the wife crazy sometimes that I can do both at once.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »
If a TV show is any good, we just buy the DVD after the season.  So we're a year or more behind the rest of the world.

We have four seasons of Castle, plus some Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, etc  :lol:

And Firefly, of course  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin