Author Topic: The wait is over: Chinese invasion to arrive next month  (Read 3843 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
The wait is over: Chinese invasion to arrive next month
« on: December 06, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/582d470c-c307-11dd-a5ae-000077b07658.html

Makes me mad, but it's the free market...they can do what they want. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: The wait is over: Chinese invasion to arrive next month
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »
So LA might actually become like Blade Runner, but with a lot more lead paint? :lol:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
So... Chinese pouring money into America? Money goood.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
They can have Komifornia.   :laugh:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
So LA might actually become like Blade Runner,

That would actually be way cool....
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
They can have Komifornia.   :laugh:

Exactly! 

And when they get to the state line, they can learn the hard way what the Japanese already knew during WW2. 

Rifle behind every blade of grass....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »
Looking for real estate?

I just happen to have a bridge for sale.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roarindan

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
OH BOY!!! a whole state of take out!! =D

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:13 PM »
OH BOY!!! a whole state of take out!! =D

...that fail health inspections.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 08:21:57 PM »
For the appropriate number of Krugerands, Grampster's Keep on the lake here in the frozen, snowy woodlands of W. Michigan is available to my Chinese  brothers and sisters.  :cool:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Don't care

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
If the Chinese take California, can they please take Feinstein, Boxer, Pelosi, and it's electoral votes too?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
If the Chinese take California, can they please take Feinstein, Boxer, Pelosi, and it's electoral votes too?

I agree, it's got to be a package deal.  All or nuthin'.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
The last fire sale didn't cause the end of America as we know it, remember back in the 80's when the Japanese were buying everything up?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
The last fire sale didn't work out like planned when the Japanese were buying everything up in the 80's did it?

It did form an important element of now dated cyberpunk fiction.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »
Where else is Mal going to learn the gorram language?

Oh, and it's interesting looking at Hong Kong folks over here... A lot of the Chinese students attending Washington University in midtown St. Louis barely blinked at $1,000+ rents for high rise apartments...
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »
You posted fast, lol I reworded my clunky post as you were responding.

Everyone was up in arms on how we were going to lose Hawaii back then.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 06:28:33 PM »
Where else is Mal going to learn the gorram language?

Oh, and it's interesting looking at Hong Kong folks over here... A lot of the Chinese students attending Washington University in midtown St. Louis barely blinked at $1,000+ rents for high rise apartments...

In the northeast, that gets you a 1BR in a questionable area, so that's not that surprising. That's also less than half the price of rather cruddy old buildings (one lightbulb in hallway, smells like pee) with no central HVAC that Harvard students live in in Somerville (slummerville) Mass.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 06:41:02 PM »
Japanese did the same thing and it didn't work out all that well.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 08:36:15 PM »
...that fail health inspections.

But they won't have a problem with feral animals...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 09:48:35 PM »
Makes me mad, but it's the free market...they can do what they want. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

So folks are mad that the ChiComs will dump their money back into America instead of Swiss banks?   Plus, it makes them actively interested in the overall wellfare of their property.  Not like they can dig up the dirt and ship it back to the mainland.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
So folks are mad that the ChiComs will dump their money back into America instead of Swiss banks?   Plus, it makes them actively interested in the overall wellfare of their property.  Not like they can dig up the dirt and ship it back to the mainland.

I must be smokin' the same crack as RevDisk, 'cause the thought of more foreign direct investment, just when our economy needs investment to help it get out of recession, sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
I must be smokin' the same crack as RevDisk, 'cause the thought of more foreign direct investment, just when our economy needs investment to help it get out of recession, sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

THIS!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
Frankly, I suspect that the Chicoms won't have that much longer to toss that sort of cash around.

Foggy Crystal Ball
China’s corrupt model produces toxic-baby formula but spic-and-span finances?

By Jonah Goldberg

These are humbling times for champions of the free market and American-style capitalism. The CEOs of the Big Three car companies are kneeling before Uncle Sam like Henry in the snows of Canossa. The stock market volatility these days is looking more and more like a death rattle. No one wants to check their 401(k) for fear of their face melting like that Gestapo guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark when he peeked inside the Ark of the Covenant.

But while we cheerleaders for economic liberty need to take our lumps and spend some time thinking about where things went wrong, it would be nice if the Chicken Littles spent a wee bit of time doing likewise.

Exhibit A: China. You can’t pick up a copy of Newsweek without reading something by Fareed Zakaria about how China will only get larger and larger in our rearview mirror. Five years ago, Goldman Sachs predicted that China’s GDP would overtake America’s by 2041. Now it thinks that China will reach us in 2027. (Of course, with a much bigger population, China’s per-capita wealth would be much lower than ours.) The National Intelligence Council’s new report, “Global Trends 2025: A Transformed World,” echoes these concerns.

Heck, maybe they’re all right. Maybe not. The simple fact is that no one knows.

But I’d bet against it.

First of all, there’s a long record of very smart people making very bad predictions. Just Google “bad predictions” and you’ll see what I mean. In 1943, the chairman of IBM said, “I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” Legend has it the head of the U.S. Patent Office said in 1899, “Everything that can be invented has been invented.” Neville Chamberlain prophesied “peace in our time.”

And roughly two decades ago, the best and brightest were telling us that “Japan Inc.” was going to overtake America any day now.

“Future historians,” warned Harvard’s Ezra Vogel in 1986, “may well mark the mid-1980s as the time when Japan surpassed the United States to become the world’s dominant economic power.” Yale’s Paul Kennedy wrote a blockbuster of a book concluding that American policies should be designed to manage our decline “so that the relative erosion of the United States’ position takes place slowly and smoothly.” When Jacques Attali was head of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in 1991, he observed that America was becoming akin to “Japan’s granary, like Poland was for Flanders in the seventeenth century.”

Journalist James Fallows, political scientist Chalmers Johnson, and economist Lester Thurow were fawned over for their supposedly incontrovertible conclusion that Japan was the future. “The Cold War is over,” Johnson wrote, “and Japan won.”

Then, as you may have heard, the Japanese economy went kablooey.

The Japan example not only demonstrates that smart people can be wrong and that the elite chattering classes are prone to groupthink, but it helps illuminate why they are so prone to this sort of thing.

For more than a century, countless American intellectuals and business leaders have looked enviously at how foreign countries “planned” and “managed” their economies. Woodrow Wilson and the Progressives drooled over Otto von Bismarck, and today every self-proclaimed “global strategist” gazes at China’s managed capitalism like a kid with his nose pressed against a candy-store window.

Of course, China has made enormous progress since it decided that markets are a more desirable means of improving the lot of its citizens than organized mass murder. But China’s fans still have an enormous blind spot.

Ask yourself this: Why are we in this financial crisis?

Any short list of reasons would include a lack of transparency in markets and regulatory rule-making; collusion between business and government; the politicization of lending practices (including the socialization of risk and the privatization of profit through giant governmental entities like Fannie Mae); and, of course, simple greed.

Does anyone honestly think China doesn’t have these problems ten times over? It has no free press, no democratic accountability, and no truly independent regulators.

After every Chinese earthquake, we discover that safety inspectors couldn’t be trusted to oversee the construction of schools and hospitals. And we’re supposed to believe that China’s corrupt model produces toxic baby formula but spic-and-span finances?

There’s an honest debate about how much blame institutions like Fannie Mae and laws like the Community Reinvestment Act deserve for the financial crisis, but few honest observers dispute that they played some kind of deleterious role. Well, China’s entire economy is one big Fannie Mae, its laws one big Community Reinvestment Act.

I’m willing to bet that the bill for that comes due long, long, long before China catches up with the United States of America.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton