Author Topic: The Website is down  (Read 1173 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
The Website is down
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted before...naughty language.  If you work in IT, this will make you laugh and cringe, and you'll feel right at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcQ7RkyBoBc
Make me laugh every time.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: The Website is down
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:44:12 PM »

http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/

I showed it around the department.  My boss was laughing so hard, he was nearly crying.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
It's just like my life, except I play Battlefield 2 instead of Halo :)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »
My life except that it's firewalls or mail servers and I'm not playing games but surfing APS. :D

The other day, one of my customers, an IT guy at another organization, called with his frequently complaint, "your firewall is down, please fix it.  We can't get to <something business related> and we need it now".  After spending an hour and a half working with this guy, being able to access the resource in question, but him still failing, I FINALLY get him to look at his firewall rules.  Yup, he hadn't put in rules to allow the traffic.  An hour and a half of my life gone because he can't do his job, yet it's my firewall that was the problem...

Chris

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:39 AM »
My life except that it's firewalls or mail servers and I'm not playing games but surfing APS. :D

The other day, one of my customers, an IT guy at another organization, called with his frequently complaint, "your firewall is down, please fix it.  We can't get to <something business related> and we need it now".  After spending an hour and a half working with this guy, being able to access the resource in question, but him still failing, I FINALLY get him to look at his firewall rules.  Yup, he hadn't put in rules to allow the traffic.  An hour and a half of my life gone because he can't do his job, yet it's my firewall that was the problem...

Chris

If your firewall was down wouldn't then anyone be able to get into your system?
Look, tiny text!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »
no.  Fail-Secure, not fail-safe/open.

That said, if it had failed, we would be dealing with a lot more than one caller.  We have over 100k people behind it.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »
Oh, btw, in my scenario above, the caller has his own FW between us and his org.  Which is why we could get to the resource out on the public Internet (our FW was configured properly), but he couldn't (improperly configured FW).

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »

Chris

Hey, admit it.  We've all forgotten to do that once or twice.  It usually just becomes noticeable in REAL short order when no one can get out of the net after you modified the ACL's.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed with him because of that one incident, I'm annoyed because that is his SOP:  Call us, claim our stuff is broken, then fix his mistakes while we're wasting time analyzing our configs and troubleshooting/testing.  Once things are working, hang up without so much as a thank you.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed with him because of that one incident, I'm annoyed because that is his SOP:  Call us, claim our stuff is broken, then fix his mistakes while we're wasting time analyzing our configs and troubleshooting/testing.  Once things are working, hang up without so much as a thank you.

Chris

much lower tech equal level of ineptitude

back in 79 when electronic cash registers first came out there was a taco house that bought one.  it stopped printing receipts. a call went in to service company it was summer and guys 14 year old daughter was manning phones. she asked "sir ?  there is a lil switch next to the key that says "reciept" is itin the on or the off position?"  boy was I he embarassed. but very grateful and the lil girl was nice enough no to call me a moron either. thats one of those only happen once things
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I