Author Topic: The wizz kids find novel way to generate electricity  (Read 1599 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
The wizz kids find novel way to generate electricity
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »
college students come up with good reason to drink beer too

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/watercooler/article/159428/109/Ohio-students-working-to-convert-urine-into-electricity?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|t
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The wizz kids find novel way to generate electricity
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »
Lotsa good stuff can be extracted from urine... not the least of which is saltpeter.  I believe it was during the Napoleonic wars, they had guys running around the cities collecting urine for powder production.

Also, insulin used to be extracted from urine.

Urea itself is an important raw material.  Think polyurethane.  It was Wohler who first synthesided urea in the lab, thereby destroying the myth that all organic chemicals had to be produced by a "life force" of one kind or another. 

You could probably just let it ferment, burn the methane off of it and be better off, energy wise, but that's just a guess.

Opinion:  Like most of this greenie stuff, it seems to me that the processes involved take more energy than is ultimately produced --or saved. But then I am as reverse-PC as you can get.  However, that's just my usual "first take" on a lot of this stuff.  Show me the numbers.  (And it's up to the process developer to generate the numbers -- not me.)

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:10:08 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

You could probably just let it ferment, burn the methane off of it and be better off, energy wise, but that's just a guess.

Opinion:  Like most of this greenie stuff, it seems to me that the processes involved take more energy than is ultimately produced --or saved. But then I am as reverse-PC as you can get.  However, that's just my usual "first take" on a lot of this stuff.  Show me the numbers.  (And it's up to the process developer to generate the numbers -- not me.)

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

Man, who peed in your cheerios this morning???

:D

Seriously though, my first thought was pretty much the same....   How much energy is going into the hydrogen extraction....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »
Man, who peed in your cheerios this morning???

:D

Me:
But then I am as reverse-PC as you can get.

Good enough answer?

Seriously though, my first thought was pretty much the same....   How much energy is going into the hydrogen extraction....

Me:

Well, even trucking the stuff around the country to a processsing point is getting pretty expensive. 

When they say something "saves (or produces) thus-and-so-many ergs (kWh, BTU, tons-of-carbon-emissions)," I always want to know how much it costs.  That "cost" in energy, including everything like the raw materials to build the processing plant, petroleum products used in making all the little plastic goodies required to build the plant, the paint on the walls, machining the dies to produce the plastic parts, the heat to melt the plastic and inject it into the molds, etc., etc.

I had to laugh when they installed motion detectors around our building to turn lights on when you entered a room and off when nobody was around.  What did it "cost" to build even one of those detectors, plus the extra wiring and so forth?  How long would it take to amortize out the true cost ?

So much of this conservation stuff is like a kid's party balloon.  You push in here, it comes out there.

Terry, 230RN

(I'm po'ed a little about those automatic light switch things in particular because several times I've had the lights go off in the john whilst I was sitting on the pot.  Gotta wave your arm or something above the stall walls to tell it, "Hey, you!  I'm still here, dammit!")
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:45:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
That's what you get for taking so long  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Yes, some fiber was not built into the cost analysis either.
I promise not to duck.