Author Topic: The warehouse of treasures exists  (Read 1276 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
The warehouse of treasures exists
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
Indy was right, it does go into a huge warehouse. And this is only the Army's storage, what does the Navy and the youngest branch, the Air Force have?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/inside-the-armys-spectacular-hidden-treasure-room

bob

Regolith

• friend
Re: The warehouse of treasures exists
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
…but behind a series of highly alarmed doors…

So what scared them?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
Thanks for posting,  really cool.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
That is amazing. It says the place was built in 2010, I wonder where everything was stored before then.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »
The new one is just for the stuff they've collected since 2010
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »
That is amazing. It says the place was built in 2010, I wonder where everything was stored before then.

My attic.  Yours, too.

Srsly, the Simithsonian has more crap than you could look at in two lifetimes.  Every once in a while they trip over something that got stuffed in a box years ago and literally just fell off a shelf.  There is supposed to be an ongoing effort to catalog everything they have, but figuring out how to categorize some of the stuff seems to have "delayed" the effort.  Sort of like how some bloggers will tag an entry with more tags than there were letters in the post.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
My attic.  Yours, too.

Srsly, the Simithsonian has more crap than you could look at in two lifetimes.  Every once in a while they trip over something that got stuffed in a box years ago and literally just fell off a shelf.  There is supposed to be an ongoing effort to catalog everything they have, but figuring out how to categorize some of the stuff seems to have "delayed" the effort.  Sort of like how some bloggers will tag an entry with more tags than there were letters in the post.

stay safe.

Seriously, I'd love to see the Smithsonian get the space to display even a quarter of its collection.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
Well, if we ever have to fight another war with flintlocks, it's good to know the Army will be ready.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
Well, if we ever have to fight another war with flintlocks, it's good to know the Army will be ready.   =)

Hm. Isn't this the plot of BSG on a smaller scale?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »
Hmmm, I wonder if perhaps they might have some of the looted Nazi Artwork?

And I would love to see some of the stuff they have.  Like the guidons of 8th ID and 2nd Bde again.  I know they haven't seen the light of day since 1992.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »

And I would love to see some of the stuff they have.  Like the guidons of 8th ID and 2nd Bde again.  I know they haven't seen the light of day since 1992.

They have some of Hitler's art. So... yep.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
part of me wants to curse them for wasting my money by storing this stuff, and the other part reminds me of what a joy it is to go to the wright patterson afb museum.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
part of me wants to curse them for wasting my money by storing this stuff, and the other part reminds me of what a joy it is to go to the wright patterson afb museum.

It's a drop in the button, and preserving history is a legitimate function of government, IMHO. That said, they could auction off a tiny percentage of the loot to cover all expenses. If it's just being stored and not on display, no cares?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
I used to spend a lot of time at the museum at Ft. Sill when I was growing up. Where else can a kid crawl around on artillery pieces dating from WW1 and Atomic Annie. Not to mention all of the neat stuff they had from the expansion of the west time period. When my father died, we turned a lot of his stuff over to them, he had discharge certificates from the 30's that were handwritten, along with other things he accrued during his 30+ years of active duty.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »

And I would love to see some of the stuff they have.  Like the guidons of 8th ID and 2nd Bde again.  I know they haven't seen the light of day since 1992.

Anything is possible, but I would really doubt it.

After WW II ended and the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives recovery people in full swing, there was a plan to borrow some of the looted Nazi art and display it in the United States.

While it was partially done with noble intentions, given that many of the nations to which the art belonged no longer had a pot to piss in, or a place to store it, and many of the individual collectors were dead, the US saw it as a means of protecting and conserving the most important masterpieces while at the same time introducing the American public to them.

The backblast from that plan was pretty dramatic, not just in Europe, but also in the United States, and the plan was dropped.

While I have absolute no doubt that there is stolen/looted art in the United States, I doubt that there is any of it in the Army's collection.

Other than Hitler's watercolors, that is. And those were, frankly, legitimately confiscated as having been the personal property/creation of an enemy leader, so they don't qualify as having been looted.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.