Author Topic: The white stuff flies  (Read 1499 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
The white stuff flies
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
And I don't mean coke...
Its snowing like mad here in Ewetah....hope it doesn't hurt the moving truck's arrival on saturday.
 angry
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cosine

• Administrator
Re: The white stuff flies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »
Send some up here! We had ten inches of snow on the first of December, which melted within two weeks, and we haven't had anything since. It's suppose to be winter, for cryin' out loud!
Andy

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »
cosine, you could move to Colorado. We had a VERY white Christmas here on the front range.  24 inches of cold whiteness before, and another 10 or so for New Years.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
I just got back from my night ride.  It was about 60 degrees. Cheesy

Chris

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 04:29:02 PM »
Only got 3" in Sugarhouse. So far.
Don

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
I've lost count so far, but we've had a lot.  The paper says 57 inches since November.  And none of it has melted.  So we're starting to get seriously buried.  It's odd, since the past four or five winters have been characterized by a lot of chinook winds and meltoffs.  This is the first one in Anchorage since the 90's that really seems like a serious Alaska winter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »
Did I mention it got into the mid 60s and was sunny today?

That I was walking around my car barefoot while getting my bike stuff together for our weekly night ride?

Cheesy

Chris

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »
Did I mention it got into the mid 60s and was sunny today?

Why, yes you did.  You frellnick.   grin

Our high today was in the low 50s F.  Typical Colorado, I was out in my shorts and tee-shirt chipping ice and shoveling snow from the parking lot to clear up some extra parking spaces.

About half our snowfall has melted or sublimed off so far.  Iced roads are turning to slush in the day, which then refreezes to bumpy ice at night.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 01:37:14 AM »
What's odd is that here in Concord, NH, we got about 1/2" last week.  That's it.

Yesterday was in the 40's, so most of it melted.  Today may hit 50.

Odd, really.

All I know is my 2 year old has a sled that she wants to try out.  Right now we are settling on a towel tied to the bottom and I am pulling her around the house.

It's not the same to me, but she doesn't know that!!!
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 03:47:30 AM »
I saw a little snow in State College, Pennsylvania, a few days after Christmas. Not really even enough to color the ground.

Today it's raining and heading for the 60s.

Tomorrow it's going to be in the 70s.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 09:16:48 AM »
14" here last weekend (a record) and another storm coming in tonight.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:29:23 AM »
Still no snow here. It rained yesterday. Geez, this is Wisconsin, and it is winter.

Must be all that global warming.  cheesy
Andy

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
62 and rainy.  If it keeps raining, I'm loading my guns two by two. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
The weatherman last night predicted a 30% chance of snow for today, and said it would be an inch or less...

It started snowing heavily at 7:30 this morning and it's still coming down.  Looks like about four inches or so by now.

I'm sneaking out early to see if my tractor will start.  The driveway wasn't cleared from the last snow yet.  sad

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 05:56:04 PM »
Well, all the chipping and shoveling yesterday was for naught.  ANOTHER storm moved in last night and dumped ANOTHER seven inches on us by morning.  I suspect this is another El Nino year, the storm patterns are coming about every week, which matches what my memory recalls for past El Ninos.

But maybe we won't have to worry about water rationing next summer.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 01:32:14 AM »
I'm getting ready to go out hunting.  I'm not wearing my normal layer of Underarmor to stay warm, just pants and a t-shirt.  It's almost warm outside and it's still dark.

Chris

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 06:49:45 AM »
We only got another couple inches last night, but the roads are really bad. All the melt off from last week mixed with the new snow and froze. A glazier couldn't have done a better job.

Put my pickup in 4WD, put it in 3rd gear, and idled all the way to work. There were cars in ditches, in the median, etc. all over the place. Not fun.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 02:45:35 AM »
Longmont, Colorado

yes, that's a 14 hand horse behind that pile
and this was two storms ago.  (about 18 inches)

We need it and it looks great, but could we spread it out a little.
I expect it to completely stop for the winter in two weeks when my plow arrives.  undecided
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 04:41:24 AM »
The heat didn't run at all last night and the house was about 73degrees at 8am this morning. Smiley

We had the windows open all day yesterday.  At one point, the house was nearly 80degrees.

Chris