Author Topic: The wind  (Read 1457 times)

BozemanMT

• friend
The wind
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »
I hate the wind.
Just hate it.
Drives me crazy.
I love wyoming, but I could never live there, just too windy

What good is the wind?
Rain has uses, snow has uses, sunny days have uses.
What does wind do?
nothing.

I just spent all day rototilling 2.5 acres in 30 to 60+mph gusts.  I think half the soil is now in kansas, my hat definately is.  Bah
 angry
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: The wind
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »
It gives me a tailwind if I am lucky, a headwind if I am not, sometimes a nasty crosswind to enjoy. 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 05:53:06 PM »
I'd like to know why, when I'm skating, it's ALWAYS a head wind. In the morning, it blows from school to home. In the evening, it blows from home to school. Always a head wind.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:36:17 PM »
it's good for a challenge when ya run PT on the way out, and a friendly push for the run in.

also hard to beat for drying hay before a nasty low pressure thinger sets in and rains on your unbaled field.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »
Wind does everything.  Those cold fronts moving around, bringing you rain and snow, then clearing out the clouds for a sunny day?  Yeah, that's wind doing all the heavy lifting.  You're welcome.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »
I hate the wind.
Just hate it.
Drives me crazy.
I love wyoming, but I could never live there, just too windy

What good is the wind?
Rain has uses, snow has uses, sunny days have uses.
What does wind do?
nothing.

I just spent all day rototilling 2.5 acres in 30 to 60+mph gusts.  I think half the soil is now in kansas, my hat definately is.  Bah
 angry

To understand what wind does, wait for a very hot day. Go in your house, turn off the AC, turn off any fans, close all the windows. Sit for a while. That's what the planet would be like if there were no wind. Smiley

Thankfully, that's impossible, since what we percieve as wind is the changing air pressure caused by weather systems, regions of high and low pressure.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:26:22 AM »
Nice poem...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
I just spent all day rototilling 2.5 acres in 30 to 60+mph gusts.
Damn - that is one fast rototiller that you have there  shocked

I'll tell you one other thing that the wind is good for: keeping more Californians from moving to Montana. Tongue
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
Movin' to Montaaana...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

woodcdi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
God made wind to protect people like you from gas exuding old farts like me. Without wind, there is no concept of standing up-wind.

Wind is Nature's whisk. It keeps everything stirred up and homogeneous.

Woody

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »
Sailing cool
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:47 AM »
Wind is for windage.  What would all of the windage-adjustment gun sight installers do if there were no wind to compensate?

Don't like wind?  Move to Knoxville, TN.  Least windy place that I've been.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 02:48:15 AM »
Wind drys out the ground at the range so El Tejon can go shooting without sinking to his knees in mud.

Wind is for sailing so even El Tejon can sail about the coasts of Indiana and Illinois and talk like a pirate.  Arrr, I'm Captain Badger, sailing from the free port of Beverly Shores.  Arrrr. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:53:01 AM »
A couple times this winter, I went out for training rides.  They were out and back type rides that I managed to always ride out with the wind, so I was fighting it coming back.  Nothing better than starting a ride averaging 20mph (gotta love it when you're speeding through school zones and residential areas), only to average 14mph or less on the return leg. shocked

I hate wind.  rolleyes

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 03:38:57 AM »
A couple times this winter, I went out for training rides.  They were out and back type rides that I managed to always ride out with the wind, so I was fighting it coming back.  Nothing better than starting a ride averaging 20mph (gotta love it when you're speeding through school zones and residential areas), only to average 14mph or less on the return leg. shocked

I hate wind.  rolleyes

Chris

I always ride into the wind hoping to catch the tailwind going home.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »
Wasn't really an option for those rides.  The opposite direction took me away from dedicated bike paths and put me into traffic.  Funny thing was, I didn't realize I had a tailwind until I came home.  All the time I was thinking "dang I'm strong today".  Doh! Smiley

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 06:20:01 AM »
Wind is for sailing
I used to want to sail around the world (or at least halfway) like Joshua Slocum, etc

With my luck I figured that I didn't need to learn navigation, because anyplace that I wanted to go would always be directly upwind.  sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin