Author Topic: Pelosi on the Bump Stock Slippery Slope  (Read 2249 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pelosi on the Bump Stock Slippery Slope
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
I just now heard it on the news, so paraphrasing, but I'm sure it's in the intertubes somewhere by now.

Pelosi was talking about the "gun nuts" arguing that banning bump stocks is part of the slippery slope of taking away gun rights. Her answer to that? “So what? I certainly hope so.”

At least she was being honest for once.

Oh, just did a search, and here it is in writing:

https://hotair.com/archives/2017/10/05/pelosi-sure-hope-ban-bump-stocks-slippery-slope-gun-control/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Pelosi on the Bump Stock Slippery Slope
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
The DNC bills are all dead on arrival. Whatever the GOP comes out with, I'm holding out a slim hope that if bumpstocks are thrown under the bus like they certainly seem to be, they'll at least try to bait-n-switch or trade them for National CCW Reciprocity, or even better, classify bumpstocks as NFA MG's, and sneak a repeal of the Hughes Amendment in to facilitate that.

I'm neutral on Nat. Recip. because I think it'll largely be a paper tiger, much like how the Federal "gun traveler" protections of FOPA have rarely been used, and widely ignored when places like NYC and NJ have arrested otherwise innocent people legally travelling with a handgun and had to change planes or got stranded due to flights being cancelled. And it's looking like the D.C./Heller CCW decisions, and Illinois/Chicago being forced to comply meant we were going to get begrudging shall-issue CCW in all 50 states through the courts eventually anyway. And a Nat. Recip law would take just as long, because it would drag out in the courts for years as the anti-gun states fought it anyway.

Of course, hoping that the NRA or GOP does something actually smart, and tries to exchange bumpstocks for something we all generally want more, assuming the option to go all Honeybadger and not give up bumpstocks, and ram through one of these things is not practical... Trading them for something like the HPA, Nat. Recip, or undoing the Hughes Amendment is like hoping someone hears your fart in hurricane Irma... but whatever.  I sense there's a chance the NRA is trying to quid-pro-quo throwing bumpstocks under the bus.
I promise not to duck.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
Any bill written will likely not survive scrutiny at the SC. How do you write a bill that prevents pulling a trigger really, really fast? It's absurd. If rate-of-fire becomes an issue if we get really lucky it could lead to the restrictions on FA being questioned and maybe overturned. And I think if Rs of a certain type are involved in writing the thing it will purposefully be written to fail.

Also the people on our side are smarter than the people on their side. Days after the bill is made law some bright person on our side will redesign the bump-stock to avoid the letter of the law.

For those of us that live in red areas, even if the state overall votes blue, we don't have much to worry about. My sheriff and a few of the surrounding sheriffs have been pretty "meh" on the idea of enforcing whatever new anti-gun crap comes out of Sacramento and I don't think bump-stocks are going to be high on their priority list even if the law is federal in origin. 

Personally I'm okay with the Ds and the grabbers spending the scarce political capital they have on gun issues on regulating bump-stocks. Let the mask slip even more while chasing something that does not matter much at all.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
Yep, how many bumpstocks are there already out there in the wild.  I don't think any have serial numbers on them.  And I want to say I saw the first ones at a gun show in the mid- to late- 1990's (and thought "Meh, what a great way to waste ammo.")

So if they do move to make them NFA items, there's no way of knowing how may exist (maybe the makers have records of "We produced  X per day/week/month.), nor who owns them.   I bet there will be a run on large diameter PVC pipe and end caps.

Anyway, I also see that those are going to thrown under the bus.  Even the R's are saying they have to be "regulated".   The D's of course are going to try to overreach (Yes, I know.  Shocking.) and go for the big prize, or at least more than just bumpstocks.   If they didn't they wouldn't be D's and it will end in failure, because even they can't agree on what they want incrementally (Besides "All of Them").

I do hope that:
1. Putting bumpfire in the NFA inadvertently re-opens the NFA registry, however they could word it so that ONLY bumpfire type devices get added (and nothing else).
2. We get something in return.  National reciprocity, HPA, something anything, at this point. 
3.  It could be very possible that eventually nothing will happen.  Given that the legislation is all over the map, and various competing bills (many with "A Bridge Too Far" or Poison Pill provisions), there's a strong chance that nothing will pass, and the R's will take another "hit" for not being able to get anything done.  Which would be a win in our "favor".   The liberals and many D's are still dancing in the blood of the victims, and the heroes stories are just beginning to be told (people who sacrificed themselves to shield others, the Marine vet that "stole" a truck and made several trips shuttling wounded to the hospital while there was still shooting going on, etc.)  Those will be the stories that slow the gun-grabbers roll. 
4.  So I think time is on our side.  This is big story for now.  However, soon the media will turn it's attention to the latest Trump Tweets and his other outrages.   He's too big of a target for their hate and rage to go unnoticed for long enough to keep focused on LV.  Which is a good thing that the media is like a PCP-addled Squirrel when it comes to remaining focused.   6 months to year there will be a small flurry of stories of "On the 6 month/1 year anniversary of LV, still no meaningful legislation on gun-control."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
I personally think there's a better than 50/50 chance $hi+ will go rodeo with North Korea and bump LV and guns out of the news.  There's no way Jong can abandon his nuclear ambitions, because the elephant in the room is that his nuclear deterrence is as much for China, if not more than it is for ROK and the US. It's 100% about his own personal survival in power, than it has much of anything to do with protecting overall Nork sovereignty.

China is tired of his crap, and without nukes, eventually China will bribe the right amount of NK generals and functionaries to have a successful coup because their own safety in numbers is assured.

And I've been a broken record here all day hoping that the NRA's "betrayal" better damn well be to get something "good" in exchange too.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »
I haven't seen Feinstein's legislation, but according to Dana Loesch, there's a chance it would outlaw any modification of a trigger. Which is ironic, given that the bump-stock doesn't modify the trigger (to my knowledge).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
It wouldn't be to hard to word it so that any device, attachment, accessory, external modification etc. etc.... that increases the rate of fire above what a humans finger can do with a semiauto trigger is illegal and pretty hard to get around. I would not be too surprised to see an attempt at banning semiauto all together.
We know what the commies on the left mean when they start spouting "compromise" I just hope that if it comes down to it the morons on the right use a different definition.

I think I'll slink off to me secret basement lair and see if I can make my .50 cal flintlock full auto.... [ar15]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:33 PM »
Google "Puckell Gun" for ideas/starting point...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
Google "Puckell Gun" for ideas/starting point...

I believe you'll have better luck with "PUCKLE."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 06:58:20 AM »
It wouldn't be to hard to word it so that any device, attachment, accessory, external modification etc. etc.... that increases the rate of fire above what a humans finger can do with a semiauto trigger is illegal and pretty hard to get around. I would not be too surprised to see an attempt at banning semiauto all together.
We know what the commies on the left mean when they start spouting "compromise" I just hope that if it comes down to it the morons on the right use a different definition.

I think I'll slink off to me secret basement lair and see if I can make my .50 cal flintlock full auto.... [ar15]

So we are banning Jerry Miculek now?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »
So we are banning Jerry Miculek now?

Androids have no rights.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
Is that the plot from Blade Gunner?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
I think Pelosi needs to retire.  Did she slur her words?  There is something wrong there.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:23 PM »
I think Pelosi needs to retire. 

Half of her party agrees with you on that.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
She's been getting a lot of hits in the MSM about her mental lock ups and nonsequiter.
Really looking like either she has a serious degree of dementia going on and her handlers are doing a lousy job of covering it up or they're deliberately letting her make gaff after gaff.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
She's been getting a lot of hits in the MSM about her mental lock ups and nonsequiter.
Really looking like either she has a serious degree of dementia going on and her handlers are doing a lousy job of covering it up or they're deliberately letting her make gaff after gaff.

Shades of Hillary Clinton.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »

Half of her party agrees with you on that.

Problem is it isn't the correct half.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!