Author Topic: Unscientific American “The Rarity of Self-Defense”  (Read 1343 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Unscientific American “The Rarity of Self-Defense”
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
http://www.gunfacts.info/blog/unscientific-american/#.WeOixqOm0gg.twitter

I appears Scientific American took a stab at guns and self defense recently.  I thought this had enough good information to post it.  The article refutes some of the common arguments against using guns in self defense with good information.

If nothing else, the link mentions a lot of facts/information and studies that you might find useful. 

I am not sure when I would use this, but I like that it demonstrates how much that subject has been studied as well as the results.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Unscientific American “The Rarity of Self-Defense”
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:09:22 PM »
This poor woman should have read Scientific American.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22378/man-kidnaps-pistol-packin-grandma-guess-what-hank-berrien

She missed a perfectly good opportunity to be a helpless victim.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
I've never had a fire at my house, shop or boat but I have extinguishers handy just the same.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 12:29:30 AM »
I've never had a fire at my house, shop or boat but I have extinguishers handy just the same.

In next month's edition of Scientific American - "Fire Extinguishers: The Hidden Arsonists In Our Homes."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »
The huge, huge variation in these numbers means that something is not being done right.   ???

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »
Who's Hemenway?

Is that this guy?

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/faculty-and-staff/hemenway-david/

I guess he doesn't read the papers or get out much.

The huge, huge variation in these numbers means that something is not being done right.   ???

I guess you can take the average of the averages, which looks like it's between Kleck and Gertz, and Bordua.  So call it 2 million.

Sort of like buying a cheap thermometer.  You buy the one that reads the average of the ones on the store's shelf.

(If I'm not mistaken, that whole bar chart is from Kleck and Gertz in the first place.)

Is "Mauser" the Tom Mauser whose son was killed at Columbine?  If so, he seems to be closest to that average of averages.  Odd, if he's the one, since Tom Mauser is a dedicated anti-gunner.

But let's face it, even disallowing Hemenway as a ridiculous outlier, the next lowest estimate of about 750,000 by Tarrance, far outnumbers any estimate of gun deaths per year, call it 36,000 or  40,000, or whatever you want to.

Truly:  "The mere presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired, prevents many crimes."

Maybe even 750,000 of them.  :D

Terry

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:38:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
Mauser I think is a Canadian.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw