Author Topic: EDC Gun Belts  (Read 1242 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
EDC Gun Belts
« on: July 26, 2022, 05:20:03 PM »
For probably the last ten years, my EDC gun belt has been either a Wilderness Instructor five stitch belt or an X-Concealment belt. The X-Concealment is like an instructor belt, but stiffer and better made, IMO. They are no longer in business. Anyway, both these belts have started fraying and wearing out from use. I was going to just order another instructor belt, but then I decided to support Warrior Poet Society and I bought a Nexbelt from them. Then a couple of weeks later, while buying a Tier 1 holster, they had a "checkout deal" on a Kore belt (same design as a Nexbelt). The price was good enough for me to give it a whirl.

Anyway, I have been wearing both these belts for the last couple of months. Wow. This is a great design. I thought the ratchet thing might be a gimmick, but it is solid and it sizes my belt perfectly to me, whether I'm carrying or not. Both belts look to be equal quality. They are thicker than the instructor belts, but thinner than the X-concealment belt. The Kore may be very slightly thinner than the Nexbelt. I find their thickness/stiffness to be in the Goldilocks zone. I have often thought my instructor belt was a little limpy with bigger guns, and the X-concealment, while holding any size gun, is pretty darn stiff.

Now that I've been appendix carrying, I find these belts work really well for that, especially for in the car, where I like to loosen the belt on longer trips, then tighten back up when I step out. With the other belt styles, this can be kind of a hassle. These ratcheting belts make it super easy and efficient. The buckle is really easy to manipulate. The design also makes it easy to put and work the buckle at your ten o'clock or two o'clock if you like to do that for appendix.

I think I am sold on this design. Obviously I can't speak to ratchet longevity, but it looks to be a well-made design. Both belts run around $60, and it appears 10% or more discounts are common. The Wilderness Instructor five stitch belts go for ~$60 as well, so they are a comparable price. Anyway, I can recommend this belt design.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: EDC Gun Belts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 08:20:45 PM »
I purchased 2 each 1 1/2 leather belts from Rural King for $19 and they’re the best belts I’ve worn with my EDC holsters.  Came as a 2 pack and are nice and sturdy. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:58:00 PM »
I have the WPS belt as well and really like it. Super tough and very adjustable.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:52 PM »
For probably the last ten years, my EDC gun belt has been either a Wilderness Instructor five stitch belt

When it looked like I might "girth out" of my Wilderness Frequent Flyer, I got the next size up of their LowPro belt.  This sort of belt seems to need a generous tail (by which I mean the part pulled through the buckle and folded back) to hold securely.  I'm at the inconvenient middle between their 2X and 3X belt, where I can't cinch the 3X belt tight enough unless I'm actually wearing an IWB holster.  (A pair of suspenders, the type with the plastic clips that hook under the belt, fixes that.)

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 10:04:15 PM »
Is the frequent flyer the traveler model with airport friendly plastic rings?
That’s one of the belts I’ve used for several years.
My favorite belt is a Kramer horsehide double layer gun belt but it is so thick some holsters and mag holders don’t slide over it without a struggle. Once I’m strapped and gunned up, it’s a solid rig.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 11:24:56 PM »
Hank's belts here, but I also have one from Don's Leather Shop in Bardstown... I'd check that first. Google...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 07:16:50 AM »
What I want to know is why every *expletive deleted*ing gun belt manufacturer in the goddamned country thinks every one of their gun carrying customers is a *expletive deleted*ing Italian supermodel.

Have they not looked at the general waist line trend of the average male in this *expletive deleted*ing country? 

Nexbelt does say -- our XL belts do fit larger waist sizes, but good luck finding one on our website! Dig, you fat *expletive deleted*ck and get some exercise!

Yeah, I'll just buy somewhere else.

aholes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 08:00:21 AM »
What I want to know is why every *expletive deleted*ing gun belt manufacturer in the goddamned country thinks every one of their gun carrying customers is a *expletive deleted*ing Italian supermodel.

Have they not looked at the general waist line trend of the average male in this *expletive deleted*ing country? 

Nexbelt does say -- our XL belts do fit larger waist sizes, but good luck finding one on our website! Dig, you fat *expletive deleted*ck and get some exercise!

aholes.

Wilderness Tactical will custom make up to something like 90 inches.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 08:41:39 AM »
Wilderness Tactical will custom make up to something like 90 inches.
“Sorry sir, cattle just don’t grow that big.”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 06:04:55 PM »

aholes.

You do you there's plenty of belts in this world. I'm confused though: the front page of EDC nylan belts says at the top fits up to 50" waists, XL fits up to 67" waists. The 5th choice is an XL belt. Click add to cart.

Not that hard to find IMO.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 10:06:36 PM »
Mildly informative and mildly amusing aside.

A couple of years ago I discovered you have to consider the belt loop size when buying a new pair of pants.

Got 'em home, fit fine, but the wide belts I use for carry would not fit through the belt loops.

Rather than "make do" with a thinner dress belt, I brought them back to the store and without thinking when she asked me what the problem was, I said "My gun belt won't fit through the belt loops."

Shock and surprise, and she started to say "What do you mean" but stopped at "What do."  She then just proceeded to print out a refund slip and that was that.

Good soldier, she.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 03:45:14 AM »
I have a Hank's on right now. I'm not a little shrimpy person.

Don's Leather Shop is also used to working for normal sized people. Seriously. Email him. Or call him. Tell him that Santa from next door at KCR (which should provide props...) said howdy.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 05:57:26 AM »

aholes.

Buy two shorter belts and hook them together.  One buckle in back.

Never had to try this, but it seems like an obvious practical solution. =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 06:48:19 AM »
the front page of EDC nylan belts says at the top fits up to 50" waists, XL fits up to 67" waists. The 5th choice is an XL belt. Click add to cart.

Not that hard to find IMO.

DIG, BITCH! DIG THROUGH OUR PAGES TO SEE WHERE THOSE BELTS MIGHT BE FOUND, IF THEY CAN BE FOUND AT ALL!

This is a case of very poor website design.

I can't think of another clothing or accessory manufacturer that sells by size that doesn't have an option, or MULTIPLE options, to winnow through the product selection.

I'm looking for an In Stock Black Nylon 1 3/8" belt size 58 with (insert buckle option here). 5 clicks to highlight the options. Thousands of websites allow feature sorting like that. Joe's New Balance Outlet is a perfect example of being able to sort on multiple combinations of features.

Nexbelt? We're really glad you think you know what you want. DIG, BITCH!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 07:00:38 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 07:03:06 AM »
Hank's leather goods looks like it might be a very good option.

Anyone have any thoughts on 1.5" vs 1.25" inch of OWB carry?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 07:33:48 AM »
The 1.5" is my standard. I also buy holsters that are cut for that vs "will take 1.5" or 1.75" belts. a 1.25" seems a bit skinny to me for proper support unless you stick to small guns. I never even see 1.25" mentioned on any of the good holster / gunbelt sites.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 08:39:22 AM »
"I never even see 1.25" mentioned on any of the good holster / gunbelt sites. "

That's what I was wondering about; I've never seen that size mentioned, either, and was wondering if it was a "new" development or something.

I've been very happy with pocket carry for many years, but since I'm slowly transitioning over to a semi-auto for daily carry away from either my J frame or my Taurus PT22 I want to look at other carry methods.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 09:48:12 AM »
Mildly informative and mildly amusing aside.

A couple of years ago I discovered you have to consider the belt loop size when buying a new pair of pants.

Got 'em home, fit fine, but the wide belts I use for carry would not fit through the belt loops.

Rather than "make do" with a thinner dress belt, I brought them back to the store and without thinking when she asked me what the problem was, I said "My gun belt won't fit through the belt loops."

Shock and surprise, and she started to say "What do you mean" but stopped at "What do."  She then just proceeded to print out a refund slip and that was that.

Good soldier, she.

Terry, 230RN

I've worn 1-3/4" leather belts for as long as I can remember and never had issues till about 12-15 years ago when my go-to brand of budget jeans suddenly had smaller belt loops. I've never bought a leather belt, ever. I prefer to make my own. I have several that are double layer and stitched together. A couple are hand stitched and a couple are machine stitched, that are excellent for gun belts but they only last 14-15 years before they start getting soft.  I'll probably make up a couple more this Fall, one at 1-3/4" and one at 1-1/2 inch"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 09:57:47 AM »
You take commissions?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2022, 12:51:19 AM »
“Sorry sir, cattle just don’t grow that big.”

Well, I'm thinking now of the long reins they use for horse teams.  I assume they're one long strip of leather, and thinking about it, if they are, they must strip off long pieces by cutting it off the beasts by going around and around the body before actually making an incision to gut it.

Maybe they're just pi X cow-diameter pieces spliced together?

Anyone know?