Author Topic: Interesting article on Democratic Party & religion...  (Read 2693 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Interesting article on Democratic Party & religion...
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:40:49 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
They just screwed over one of the only "religious" people they had in the party, Joe Lieberman.  Why would anyone expect them to do something different?
The Dems are trying to be Republicans, having gotten a whooping in the last several elections.  But Republicans are better at being Republicans than Democrats are at being Republicans.  This is a failed strategy.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:11:35 AM »
Now if we can just get the Republicans to actually act like Republicans, that would be progress.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Now if we can just get the Republicans to actually act like Republicans, that would be progress.
I heard that.
Unfortunately I don't think they did.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:08:56 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin, quoting from [i
Slate[/i]]No one knew quite what the "faith staffer"a new breed of legislative aidewas supposed to do
I have to admit to having been quite amused when the Democratic campaigns start hiring people to be "Director of Religious Outreach."  That is a clear admission that religion is something completely alien to them, that it is something that they have to "outreach" to.

Well, here's a clue for them: You can't be accepted by religious people if you are advocating and promoting evil, such as homosexuality and abortion.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 02:56:15 PM »
random-seeming insertions of Bible verses into floor speeches came off as Tourette's syndrome for Democrats
Jarring discontinuity.

It's the same deal as with the gun owners.  There's decades of counter examples, decades of low level war against us (whichever us you're considering here) that gives them pretty low credibility.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:00:30 PM »
Quote from: lee n. field
random-seeming insertions of Bible verses into floor speeches came off as Tourette's syndrome for Democrats
Jarring discontinuity.

It's the same deal as with the gun owners.  There's decades of counter examples, decades of low level war against us (whichever us you're considering here) that gives them pretty low credibility.
Although amazingly not universal.  Sen Harry Reid D-NV is rated 100% by the NRA.  Of course from Nevada I think you'd be lynched if you were in favor of gun control.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 04:16:55 PM »
But the Democrats should have credibility with Christians with the Revs Jackson and Sharpton firmly in their corner. Ah Nevermind Cheesy
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 05:19:26 PM »
Quote from: lee n. field
There's decades of counter examples, decades of low level war against us (whichever us you're considering here) that gives them pretty low credibility.
Ku Klux Klan unveils new membership outreach to Catholics, Jews.

Most Exalted High Cyklops Kenneth K. Kliegel of the Ku Klux Klan has announced a new program for the storied organization.  "We've seen a decline in new memberships, lately, said Kliegel, especially among the young.  With the brainwashing from Jew leftists such as the ADL and SPLC, many have the wrong idea of what we stand for.  In the past, we have only recruited from the Protestant community, so our Jewish and Catholic membership has been limited.  We realize now that we can build a larger, stronger Klan only with the addition of a diverse new membership.  Jews are great fund-raisers.  My father used to say, "A Jew can squeeze the last dollar out of an acorn.  He admired the Jews.  Of course, the Catholics have great organizational skills.  If youve seen The DaVinci Code, you know how good they are at keeping secrets and suppressing opposition, and a secret society like ours can really use that good old-fashioned Amerikan know-how.

Keith Kelso, of the group's New York koven, will be in charge of the project.  "The Klan has always stood for patriotism, for traditional Judeo-Kristian values, and for strong families," Kelso said, resplendent in his gleaming white robes with crimson trim (he is a member of the Klan's elite Krimson Korp - responsible for "Kommunity Interaction," such as cross-burning) as I spoke with him in his beautifully furnished office.  "Of course, many Jews and Catholics share these values, but they perceive the Klan as being hostile to their interests.  Despite this negative image peddled by shyster ACLU lawyers and other race-mixing Jews, we hope that Jews and Catholics can see past their prejudice and open their minds to us.  

The outreach will officially kick off next April, at Light My Krucifix With Your Menorah Mixers to be held in Jewish and Catholic communities throughout the nation and timed to coincide with the Jewish Passover and the lenten season.  Thats a special time of year for Jews and Papists, and it is for us, too.  Were trying to find someone to prepare traditional Jewish cuisine for us, in case they wont eat normal food.  Were pretty sure the Katholics will.  If we cant find any Jew cooks, well still be grilling pork steaks and cheeseburgers and if anybody wont eat that, theyre probably not good Amerikans, anyway.  Kelso said the theme for the events will be Kikes, Katholics and Kristians, Kome Together!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 05:21:35 PM »
Okay, fistful, that's an Onion-like parody, right?
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 05:33:14 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 06:22:08 PM »
Well, here's a clue for them: You can't be accepted by religious people if you are advocating and promoting evil, such as homosexuality and abortion."

Please keep the discussion to the subject of the Democratic party attempting to tap into those who identify themselves as religious.

Please do not attempt to turn this into a forum for your own narrow-minded, perverse, hypocritcial, self-righteous beliefs. You want to play Fred Phelps/Ralph Reed/Jerry Falwell? Go post your own thread.
I think that's the whole point of the matter.

Regardless of what popular culture bombards us with, our country is very religeous with a very large minority of people who identify themselves as part of a religeon and who attend religeous services regularly. A lot of Democrats (and some Republicans for that matter)  think that they can spit in the eyes of religeous people all week long, and come Sunday (or Saturday) think they can court the people they insulted by attending a Service.

Some Religeons are pushing back, or at least the Catholic Church is. There were a few Representatives from Wisconsin who were threatened by the local Bishop with being cut off from their Sacrament of Communion if they kept voting in favor of abortion and gay rights, if I'm not mistaken, John Kerry was given the same treatment as well in Boston.

Barack Obama

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:58:36 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"Well, here's a clue for them: You can't be accepted by religious people if you are advocating and promoting evil, such as homosexuality and abortion."

Please keep the discussion to the subject of the Democratic party attempting to tap into those who identify themselves as religious.

Please do not attempt to turn this into a forum for your own narrow-minded, perverse, hypocritcial, self-righteous beliefs. You want to play Fred Phelps/Ralph Reed/Jerry Falwell? Go post your own thread.
I rather thought my point was precisely on-topic.  Your original post ponders why the Democratic Party has so little appeal to religious people.  I replied that the reason is that the Democratic Party has positioned itself as the Party of Evil, and that as long as it does so, it isn't going to appeal to religious people.

You then proceed to demonstrate my point.  In response to my pointing out that promoting evil isn't going to get the Democrats anywhere, you characterize my statement as, "your own narrow-minded, perverse, hypocritcial, self-righteous beliefs," and then attempt to lump me in with Fred Phelps, an abhorant person I have never even met and whose actions I absolutely do not support.  That is precisely the sort of hatred of those who object to evil that drives religious people away from the Democratic Party.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
Quote from: brimic
Some Religeons are pushing back, or at least the Catholic Church is. There were a few Representatives from Wisconsin who were threatened by the local Bishop with being cut off from their Sacrament of Communion if they kept voting in favor of abortion and gay rights, if I'm not mistaken, John Kerry was given the same treatment as well in Boston.
Did that actually happen to Kerry or anyone else?

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 09:26:07 PM »
OK, I'm failing to see how refusing to support and promote evil makes one smug, with an "I'm holier than you because I'm God" attitude.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 10:42:11 PM »
I wish 1911owner had found a different way to make his point, as I knew his clumsy comment would set this whole thing off.  I was going to be patient with Mike, and explain how far off the planet he is on this matter, but I won't so lower myself.  Maybe he could Wiki the phrase "conservative Christian," so he could figure out what that phrase means.  

Mostly, I'm just miffed that this brouhaha has made a waste of my perfectly good satire in an earlier post.  Smiley

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 10:55:41 PM »
Fistful Smiley

I think the Dems are losing some of their base due to those things, though..especially in black church communities, where there are mixed feelings between people whose families have traditionally voted Democratic but who are actually very socially conservative (for lack of a better term.) At one point, they believed Dems were more supportive of civil rights and economic reforms, but those aren't issues the Dems are playing up now, and instead they're focusing on things like abortion and gay rights.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:19 AM »
Conservative religious people generally hold views similar to what M1911 has expressed.  Sorry if that offends some people.  But since the Dems can't understand that, much less respect it, they will continue to drive off this significant voter base.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 02:40:33 AM »
Yes, but at what point does the failure of the Republican Party to support those viewpoints (and I could be wrong, but I don't see many elections being won on those issues) drive off conservative religious support?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:58 AM »
The issue is that many libertarian types tend to vote Republican as well..so the party is split between religious/conservative types and live and let live small government libertarians. Libertarians vary on their support of pro-life causes but I've never met one who didn't support gay rights.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 02:59:00 AM »
The Dems pretty much hold traditionally religious folk in contempt.  Mike Irwin demonstrates the attitude in what would be a humorous parody were it not his actual view.

The Dems only tolerate black christians to the extent that they provide votes for Dems...and they seem quite partronizing about it.

The reality is that the Dems are the party of radical secularism.  Any religious folk or religiosity must approach the Dems on the Dem's terms in order not to be despised and excoriated.  Again, see Mike Irwin's comments for an example of the attitude.

I do believe Mike Irwin is wrong on pretty much all counts:
* Most traditional/conservative religious folk are not supportive of the latest moves to legitimize deviant behavior
* Most traditional/conservative religious folk are "right to lifers."
* No traditional/conservative religious folk I have ever met think they are God
* Most traditional/conservative religious folk believe that they ought to promote what is right and fight what is wrong in themselves, their church, and in the greater community...and not just shut up, sit in the corner, and keep their views to themselves
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 03:13:46 AM »
Barbara, your analysis is complicated by the fact that many of the religious conservative are also live and let-live small-government libertarians.  

Rabbi and jfru, plus 1.

Iain, I'm not sure what you're getting at.  Can you explicate?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 04:20:40 AM »
Ok, well put simply, were I informed by religious feelings on abortion and homosexuality I'm not sure I'd have a political party I could vote for, either here or in the US.

The Republicans are not going to run on those issues in the way that some religious folks will want them to. So when does this failure to do so start to drive folks away from the Republican Party?

The one thing that does strike me, when the majority of people speak about the 'lesser of two evils' it is merely a figure of speech. When it truly is a case of evil (at least for you), I'm not sure how the lesser is the better.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also