Author Topic: Need help with a Linksys WRT54GC  (Read 2714 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Need help with a Linksys WRT54GC
« on: September 07, 2006, 10:29:47 PM »
Okay, here's what I need, first of all:

Can someone, anyone, ANYWHERE, provide me a damned download link so's I can snatch up the Firmware for a linksys WRT54GC version 1.02.5? Everyone on EARTH has reported that 1.02.8 turns their WRT54GC into a worthless brick of ugly grey plastic. I will KILL to get this firmware. Mashing the "reset" button to reset the router to its "factory configuration" didn't affect the firmware in the least.

Additionally, anyone who's had experience with this damnable excuse for a router, is there any explanation for why it is a TOTAL crapshoot whether the ports I tell it to forward will get forwarded or not? I click "save settings" in the port-forwarding screen on this damn thing, and the next time I check, there's about a 1:1x10^134 chance that they'll have taken, and the POS will be forwarding the ports I damn well tell it to. Most of the time It's just listing what it listed before, obstinately refusing to change, even if I plead.

Can anybody cleverer than I help me out, before I put this illegitimate child of a LEGO and an Alarm Clock to the sword?

~GnSx

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:38:49 AM »
Somewhere in ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network, maybe.

If you have a junker PC around, look into smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.org).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:07:48 AM »

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:24:35 AM »
If you're feeling adventurous, you could have a look at OpenWRT, which is a replacement firmware that is linux-based and likely to handle port forwarding and what-have-you better than the original linksys firmware.

It's not trivial to install, though, and you have the potential to brick your router if you do it wrong, so proceed with caution if you go this route.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:44:45 AM »
My WRT54GC has been a rock.  I think I upgraded the firmware when I bought it and once thereafter, a couple years ago.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:41:39 AM »
I fiddled with it until about 6 this morning and finally got it to work. Thanks, though, y'all. If it gives me any more guff, I'll go back to the 1.02.5 firmware and/or to the range with the damn thing surrepetitiously taped to the inside of my target box.

I managed to forward the ports I wanted, but _not_ by making a separate entry for the last program I wanted to add (Skype), so I just made the range of ports for one other entry a little wider, so I could stick a couple more programs into that same range. What a complete pain in the butweece.

Third_Rail: Thanks. I'll keep the older firmware in the bullpen, in case this hideous brick starts sucking again. And quit callin' me that.

Brokenpaw: I looked at OpenWRT for a good long while, but for all its nift, it never listed the '54GC, just the G and all the other ones. I dunno if that means it wouldn't work, but I didn't look into it any farther.

Thanks again, y'all

~GnSx

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 08:25:40 AM »
GunnySkox,

Take a look at www.linksysinfo.org.  Lots of good information there about Linksys wireless routers.
You might find what you need there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.