Author Topic: Real-life hoverboard breaks record  (Read 1495 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Real-life hoverboard breaks record
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
http://www.livescience.com/49105-how-hoverboards-work.html

http://www.livescience.com/50963-hoverboard-world-record.html

I thought maybe some of you had heard of this.  I was curious to find out exactly what it is I am seeing.  The first link indicates this magnetic hover board that only hovers over copper plated surfaces or maybe aluminum.  Then the 2nd link shows it hovering over water.  I am not sure if the boat was towing a copper mat or if this was using some other method to hover.  I thought maybe some of you had heard of this and could explain what was happening in the video.  The article keep throwing in references to Back to the Future II because I think they have no idea what to say either.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Real-life hoverboard breaks record
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
Two different methods. The first is maglev, the second is 8 props and motors.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Two different methods. The first is maglev, the second is 8 props and motors.
Good.  I was starting to wonder if someone had developed repulsers and I hadn't heard about it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
I suspect the writer is mistranslating or misunderstanding some things.

Original:
Copper is what's known as an inductor, Henderson said. An inductor is a metal that isn't magnetic. When you put a magnet near such a metal, an electric current starts to flow in the metal. This current, in turn, causes a magnetic field to develop outward from the metal. If the magnetic field that develops is strong enough, it can levitate the magnet. If it's really strong, it can also levitate any object that happens to be attached to the magnet, including a hoverboard.

Might help if you look up "Lenz Effect" and "Eddy Currents" first.  This is the principle which you may find in some powder scales, where a static strong magnetic field across a little copper plate damps the swinging of the scale arms due to Eddy Currents in the copper plate, which generate their own magnetic fields, which in turn oppose the magnetic field in the body of the scale, thereby damping the swinging of the balance arms.

Sample:
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Model_10-10_Scale_Instructions.pdf

(See the "About" diagram and look for vane and damping in the blurb.)

It's the same principle involved in those old-fashioned electric meters which had AC electromagnets turning an aluminum disc geared to the meter dials.

It might also help if the writer had written the above-quoted paragraph this way:

Copper is what's known as a NON-MAGNETIC ELECTRICAL conductor, Henderson said. [STRIKE]An inductor is a metal that isn't magnetic[/STRIKE]*. When you MOVE a magnet near such a metal, an electric current starts to flow in the metal. (IS INDUCED IN THE METAL.) This current, in turn, causes a magnetic field to develop outward from the NONMAGNETIC CONDUCTIVE metal. If the magnetic field that develops is strong enough, it can levitate the magnet. If it's really strong, it can also levitate any object that happens to be attached to the magnet, including a hoverboard.

The problem in understanding this is that the magnetic field which induces the current in the non-magnetic metal (the copper base over which the hover board moves) must be either moving or changing.  A static magnetic field will not induce a current and hence develop a repulsive magnetic field in the "base metal."

So it SOUNDS as if the magnets which induce the currents in the base metal must be be energized by alternating current (AC), and slightly out of phase with each other to generate both the thrust and the levitating effect. (See ETA below.)

How they do that would be interesting to see, but it seems to be a company secret.

Terry

* That sounds as if they're redefining "inductor" to fit their mode of operation.  

ETA:  There's no reason that all these fields cannot be induced in water if the water is conductive.  There are pumps which move water by passing a current through it one way, with an external magnetic field around it, which result in ELECTRICAL eddy currents in the water which develop their own repulsive magnetic fields in the water so that the water is pushed along.  And the "fluid" need not be water, it could be a molten metal like mercury or molten sodium.  You'll have to look that up yourself... something like "magnetic hydrodynamic pump" or some such.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:31:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »
Here's a neat, if simplistic example (for the magnetic board) with a strong Neodymium magnet and a thick walled copper tube. As gravity pulls the strong rare-earth magnet down, it's movement through the pipe generates an electric current, and the electric current makes the copper pipe into a temporary electromagnet that opposes the permanent magnet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BeFoz3Ypo4

The twin octo-copters the guy is standing on? It would appear that it has a bunch of self-leveling automatic fly-by-wire Segway-ish programming to it. Which most quad-copters have already, but this was enabled to help a human, a large balanced weight above stay level.

Seems to me that if they can keep pushing the energy density storage for LiPoly or other exotic batteries, plain old electric motors and propellers could give us the Jetsons "jet backpack" future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp89tTDxXuI

I could see a bunch of quadcopters or similar acting as floating steps, and a whole host of crazy "levitating" technology. Especially if you could get them to operate in swarms and tag-team, and cycle in and out to charge, or charge wirelessly.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
I do that Lenz Effect thing with my aluminum blowgun and a neo magnet.  It takes 11 seconds for the magnet to fall 3 feet through the blowgun tube.  Spoooookyyyy!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.