Author Topic: Fun guns  (Read 1432 times)

Fun guns
« on: September 17, 2006, 08:25:59 PM »
*shrug*

Since the question has been asked about whether folks here at "Nice Gun Totin' Folks Forum" ever talk of guns - why not?

Fun guns.  So what are your fun guns and what is fun for you?

This Summer, I assisted with a tight knit group, kinda private, and I had morefun  than the kids shooting single shot .22 rifles with them.
Oh we did shotgun , and handgun stuff with the single ladies, and single moms and the few others, still we all had a ball with the kids.

Spinner targets and you name it of course - still shooting tin cans off a shelf is a lot of fun. Busting balloons, and just simple targets of yesteryear. Just passing forward the lessons - and fun times of yesteryear.

Shot eggs, and kids will set out jelly beans one cannot see, must less be able to hit at the distances they set them out, to razz adults like me.

Generic brand soda, shook up real good of course , instills how dangerous even a .22 short is...still fun as all get out to watch them spew and see the ragged holes.

Yeah , think I am going to keep putting of this bit about growing up. Some stuff too fun to outgrow.

You?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Fun guns
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:14:59 AM »
For fun guns, .22s top the list.  I need to get one of each type, as a matter of fact.  Still need a lever gun and a auto pistol.

I also like my Marlin lever action .38/.357.  Its sort of a middle ground between single-shot and auto-loader; shoot it slow or go for the rock-n-roll.  Besides, with .38s the recoil is like a .22, but with a bit more punch for those pesky generic soda cans.  Or I can upgrade to .357 to reach out to the dangerous game such as watermelons.

I've always preferred reactionary targets over punching holes in paper; I've never been a fan of shooting tight groups.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Fun guns
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 04:58:03 AM »
SKS.  Lots of bang and noise, plus cheap to shoot.
Ruger 10/22 .22lr.  Scoped, synthetic stock, sling, and pennies per round....1/2 inch groups at 50 yards, the thing is a hoot....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Fun guns
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 06:12:27 AM »
Kel-Tec folding carbine.

Much nicer than the Hi-Point. The folding action and it's tiny size makes it seem like it should be an NFA toy even though it's not. If you get the S&W gripped model, it'll work with cheap no-name 30 round magazines just fine.

And it'll digest the cheapest bulk 9mm you can find. And the folding action makes it insanely easy to clean if that ammo was unusualy "dirty". (I even fed mine a case the notoriously crappy "American Ammo" from Sportsman's Guide with no ill effects, save three)

The unlocked blow-back, heavy inertail bolt action also means that with the possibility of a lighter recoil spring from Wolff, it's one of the few 9mm's that will digest that super-super-cheap Sweedish plastic/ steel bb core 9mm gallery loads.

9mm gives you some recoil so you feel like you're really "shooting", something that is sometimes lacking with the .22 experience, but 9mm from a carbine is still soft enough you can shoot all day without getting tired.

It's also a great conversation starter at the range. When I'm at a formal range, and the RO calls cease fire, actions open, I just break the Kel-Tec at an angle and lay it on the bench. It always makes a few people cross-eyed. LOL...
I promise not to duck.

trapperready

• friend
Fun guns
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 06:36:38 AM »
Steve - I've got two. The first one is a "Ryder" BB gun. It was originally a "Red Ryder", but I had to trim a few inches off the stock to let it fit my youngest son. I can spend hours watching my two sons knock soda cans around.

The second is a Winchester Model 42. I've posted over on THR that when I'm feeling a bit burnt out from practicing and shooting registered targets, a session with the M42 puts the fun back into the game. It never ceases to make me laugh out loud.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Fun guns
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:23:12 PM »
A few when I tire of the big stuff.

One is a plain-vanilla Browning Buckmark w/5" barrel.  It's nice to go back to the basics with a couple hundred rounds of Winchester T-22 ammo and some soda cans.

Complementing that is my wife's Winchester 9422, purchased NIB a few months ago.  A gorgeous little levergun, proportioned closely to my full-sized Model 94, and I have as much fun watching her as she does shooting it herself.

Every now and then, one of the hard drives in the home network goes Tango Uniform.  They need dispatched, and properly.  A 1961-vintage S&W Model 52 in .38 Special does that job nicely.

Since cottontail season started earlier this week, I've been using the same Model 52 to put rabbit and KC Masterpiece in the crock pot.  148gr HBWC loads work rather well for the job off the back deck!

If I go much past 50 yards when thumping Bugs, then it's time for the FrankenRuger.  Heck, it's a fun gun just for punching holes in paper, or having Mrs. G-98 bust clays at 100 yards.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Fun guns
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 08:28:31 PM »
Odd that it's so therapeutic...

But a 6" 1918 DWM Luger actually puts folks in a good mood when they're shooting it.  It's my wife's favorite pistol, and this schoolteacher was uneasy about centerfire handguns until she ran 50 rounds of 9mm into the pivoting steel plates one afternoon:

One thing this young lady and my wife both noticed - they could see the toggle cycling up and down when they fired it, and complained that the gun was broken.  I had never considered watching the toggle, I guess because we guys are trained to focus so intently on the sight picture.  Odd, that.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Fun guns
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 04:05:37 AM »
I don't shoot it near enough but my fun gun in rifle is a W94 chambered for .45LC.

For handgun its a tie between my Buckmark and my .44Mag.

As for shooting the most fun is plinking. Just walking around in the boonies and shooting what ever inanimate object strikes my fancy at various ranges. Unfortunately places where one can do that in Oklahoma are mostly gone now so until I get my own 40 acres plinking is pretty much out of the picture and I'm stuck with range shooting.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Fun guns
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 08:20:02 AM »
Anybody got a recommendation for a fairly inexpensive but good quality lever-action 22?  

I think that would be just about the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

Fun guns
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
My favorite rifle growing up was a single shot .22 LR.  I think it is still made as the Savage 30G.  Carry that down to the woods with a pocket full of shells.  
I remember playing around trying to cut down weeds down in the creek with it.  Those fern-like weeds can be just small enough to fall over when a .22 cal hole is put in them.  Hard to see if you miss though.

Twycross

• friend
Fun guns
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 12:14:31 PM »
My NEF .223. Yeah, its a single-shot, but thats not really a dampener on the fun factor. I'm pretty sure that it's more accurate than I am. Smiley

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Fun guns
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 01:55:11 PM »
Hands-down most fun gun in the safe is my Ruger 22/45.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Fun guns
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »
Hey, I have a 22/45.  First pistol I ever bought.  That is a fun gun.  I have been shooting rifles more these days, but that is a fun gun.  Carter's Country had the target model on sale for the same price as the regular back when I bought it.  Very reliable gun too.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stickjockey

• friend
Fun guns
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 05:43:55 AM »
As to cartridge guns, my favorite is my M1 carbine. Almost no recoil, reasonably accurate, and has that P-chink! P-chink! sound when fired that for some reason just makes me smile. But for true relaxation and grins, go black powder. The particulars just require a slower pace.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Fun guns
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 06:29:00 AM »
Actually, all my guns are pretty fun. I'll say the funnest one right now would be the new Saiga in .308 I just got. It's a thumper.

Then there's the ~1968 High Standard I also recently purchased. I managed to take a second place over all with it last night in the first match of the new season. That was pretty fun...

Then there's...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Fun guns
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 06:34:39 AM »
For fun, it's a tie between my Marlin 1894 .44 and my Great Plains Rifle.

Though I have a good many pistols, love shooting the 1911s, and probably put more ammo through my handguns than my long guns, for whatever reason, I never considered my pistols to be "fun".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

progunner1957

Fun guns
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »
My most fun gun is my Springfield Armory TRP Operator 1911!
Hell hath no fury like a woman who has found the invoice for a custom 1911.

CAnnoneer

• friend
Fun guns
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
My fun guns are a Ruger MkIII 5.5BBL and a Taurus PT92AFS. The former is tons of fun at virtually no cost, as well as warmup and cooldown before and after the 9mm in a standard training session. The PT92 is just excellent with great ergonomics and a frame-mounted safety/decocker. Sometimes, I also take my Ruger KP89, but the ergonomics is not as good as the Taurus. My gripe with the Taurus is that the Hogue grip I installed is not truly wrap-around, so the front grooves on the handle grate against my fingers.