Author Topic: Senate set to consider fence bill  (Read 9493 times)

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
Senate set to consider fence bill
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 10:10:35 AM »
A guest worker program is fine by me, but you can't implement a proper one while the borders are so porous. There is no incentive for a Mexican national to use the guest worker program if it is easier for him to simply walk across and avoid all the red tape.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 11:51:10 AM »
Quote from: carebear
Quote from: The Rabbi
I dont understand your point.
The Great Wall was built for defense against hostile armies.  It was not built either to keep citizens/subjects in or to keep peaceful foreigners out.  And I wouldn;t call feudal China a "free sovereign country" in any sense we understand the term.
Define "hostile army" in terms of effect on a society.  If you cross the border of a sovereign nation without following their rules you are "invading" and definitely trespassing and they have every right to send you home.
A German citizen can cross any border of any EU state without papers.  Ditto for any other citizen of any other EU state. Next.

On a micro level the "free movement of labor" doesn't allow you to just walk into my factory and pick up a hammer.  You have to apply for employment, compete with others for the limited number of positions, undergo my screening and only then be employed.  The same stands as true and necessary on the macro level.
Why are you comparing a factory, which is privately owned, hires people, pays wages,and has responsibilities with the U.S.?  A factory can also restrict your right to carry a gun at work, to smoke, to post offensive materials etc.  Will you now argue the U.S. government has the same right?  Next.

I really have a problem with the idea that insisting that folks follow immigration law (ours is not particularly onerous) is, in practice or theory, tantamount to "imprisoning them in their own country".  It is a crime everywhere in the world to just walk over a border unannounced, has been since the rise of the nation-state, it's part of the definition of national sovereignty.  You couldn't even just walk into Athens and take up residence as a Thebian without undergoing some sorts of controls.  This is hardly a new idea, having rules for occupancy and citizenship.
There is a big difference between having rules and having an abstract goal.  No one will argue that the country should be completely without taxes.  We all argue (on this site anyway) that taxes are generally too high and need to be less.  Next.

We don't let foreign merchandise, tourists, diplomats or even non-citizen family members of citizens to come in without visas, customs controls and such.  Why is requiring them for folks who want to work any more heinous?
Merchandise, tourists, and diplomats are not labor.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
Quote from: jfruser
Illegal alien labor IS a government giveaway...to those that employ them and the illegals themselves.  Or, have you forgotten that taxpayers currently fund programs like public hospitals, schools, jails, welfare, & the like?  Programs that illegals make disproportionate use of.  Those that employ illegals are doing so at the cost of their taxpaying neighbors and ought to be held in contempt.
Any evidence or figures to back up these assertions?  In fact illegals often pay social security etc, just under someone else's name.  In addition they pay sales tax on any item they buy here.  When they rent apartments etc they are paying the real estate taxes due on the property.
Do illegals really make "disproportianate use" of hospitals, etc more than any other  group of similar socio-economic status?  I think not.

Well, the Israelis have built the Gaza fence and are currently building a fence on the West Bank that is larger relative to the miles of fence and size of our respective economies (US southern border vs WB fenceline).  Is the Israeli fence nothing more than a boondoggle?  Those folks on the Gaza side of the fence sure look like they would appreciate some "free movement of labor," too.  About the only thing the Gazans seem to get over the fence is mortar rounds.  So, I will acknowledge that if the illegals develop a human mortar, those illegals that use it may very well make it over.  Luckily, we have access to counterbattery radar and can locate and estimate launch & landing sites.
You clearly know nothing about the situation.  In fact much of the manual labor in Israel is or was done by Palestinians, much like Mexicans do it here.  When Israel shut off the border it was a punitive measure to the Palestinians, as much as a safety measure to prevent suicide bombings.  When we have suicide bombings by Mexicans here I will reconsider my position.

Oh, and the comparison of securing our border to communist dictatorships is vile and beneath contempt.
That's certainly easier than trying to refute the basic fact that no free sovereign country has ever resorted to mining its borders to keep people from crossing.
Hmm, I do believe S Korea is a fine counterexample.  They are pretty free, nowadays, and have been so for several decades.
S.Korea welcomes any citizen of N.Korea and gives them automatic citizenship upon entry.  I think your argument just failed.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 12:13:46 PM »
It is time to secure the borders.

The notion that there is somehow some inherent right of non-US citizens to come here goes against the constitution and international law.

I agree with the notion of a guest worker program There are just not enough American citizens available to fill all the open jobs. Without foreign nationals to fill those slots, we will eventually be in a world of hurt. But they need to come here LEGALLY!!!!!

Send them back and let them apply for a guest worker card. maybe even allow some to get their card while here as an expedient measure, but it has to expire and can only be renewed in their home country.

Some kind of effective sanctions against employers who knowlingly hire illegals are also in order.

maybe a guest worker tax. Say $2 an hour extra tax paid to the state they live in to cover the added expenses incurred by havign them here. It is in the many billions of dollars now.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 01:37:45 PM »
Quote from: ilbob
There are just not enough American citizens available to fill all the open jobs. Without foreign nationals to fill those slots, we will eventually be in a world of hurt.
There are plenty of Americans to fill those jobs, but they're on welfare.  Then there are the teenagers and other young adults who could use the work.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »
Actually the working population is declining.  I would certainly sign on to reducing welfare and the minimum wage.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 01:47:28 PM »
A German citizen can cross any border of any EU state without papers.  Ditto for any other citizen of any other EU state.
This isn't the EU.  They have their rules on immigration and we have ours.  Next.

Why are you comparing a factory...with the U.S.?
Because the principle is the same, even if the principals differ.  Next.

There is a big difference between having rules and having an abstract goal.
But your abstract goal, apparently, is to have no rules on migration at all.  Next.

Quote from: Rabbi
We don't let foreign merchandise, tourists, diplomats or even non-citizen family members of citizens to come in without visas, customs controls and such.  Why is requiring them for folks who want to work any more heinous?
Merchandise, tourists, and diplomats are not labor.
Diplomats are labor as much as roofers or lettuce-pickers are.  Merchandise is capital, and you said that moving capital across international borders is a human right.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »
You've misunderstood every point I made.  Nor do I think you understand the difference between merchandise and capital or between a diplomat and labor. Are you intentionally being obtuse or do you really not understand these terms and the differences?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 02:22:27 PM »
Having little background in economics, I was wondering whether my merchandise-is-capital statement might be horribly in error.  Apparently it was.  According to the sources I just consulted on the net, capital includes the machinery, trucks, physical plants used to produce goods and services.  So, would you say one has no right to move merchandise internationally, but one does have a right to move trucks and factories?

Diplomats do a job.  Roofers do a job.  Why are these not both labor?  

Please inform me what was your point in bringing up legal immigration in the EU, when it bears no relevance to the discussion?

Factories and nations are very different, but that does not mean they are different in all respects.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 03:26:28 PM »
No, capital is just that.  Money that is used to make investments and generate a return for its owners.  Restrictions on capital (e.g. restrictions on foreign ownership of domestic companies or restrictions on taking funds out of the country) are also contrary to the basic principle.

I bring up the EU to show that there are indeed countries that permit unrestricted movement over borders and no ill effects have happened.

Diplomats do a job, for their own domestic governments.  They are not moving here (or wherever their posting is) to better their livelihood since they already work for their state.  They do not contribute to the local economy (except as consumers) since they are paid by their home government.  A bricklayer contributes to the local economy by performing a job that he gets paid for, exchanging his labor for pay.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »
Come on, The Rabbi. Please give a historic example of a laissez faire society that existed and fluorished ever. Such ideals ignore fundamental principles of human nature. They sound nice but are completely impracticable. Offering a utopia as a solution to real-world problems is simply non-serious.

If we leave the borders porous or open them further, hundreds of millions will flock in, destroying our infrastructure, culture, nation, and form of government. We'll be reduced to the problems and fates of Third World countries, which suffer from poverty, econological disaster, and overpopulation. In the end, nothing positive will be accomplished, except for maybe a select few, who will reap great profits in the beginning and revert to a dictatorial plutocratic aristocracy when the social pressures bear their bitter fruit.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
Quote from: CAnnoneer
Come on, The Rabbi. Please give a historic example of a laissez faire society that existed and fluorished ever. Such ideals ignore fundamental principles of human nature. They sound nice but are completely impracticable. Offering a utopia as a solution to real-world problems is simply non-serious.

If we leave the borders porous or open them further, hundreds of millions will flock in, destroying our infrastructure, culture, nation, and form of government. We'll be reduced to the problems and fates of Third World countries, which suffer from poverty, econological disaster, and overpopulation. In the end, nothing positive will be accomplished, except for maybe a select few, who will reap great profits in the beginning and revert to a dictatorial plutocratic aristocracy when the social pressures bear their bitter fruit.
Please give one example of a society that was destroyed by immigration.  Positing dystopias of disaster sound frightening but are completely unrealistic.  Offering a dystopic scenario to real-world issues is simply non-serious.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 05:35:44 PM »
Please give one example of a society that was destroyed by immigration.  Positing dystopias of disaster sound frightening but are completely unrealistic.  Offering a dystopic scenario to real-world issues is simply non-serious.
Examples: Dorians in Greece, Greeks in Italy, barbarians in Rome, Saxons in Britain, Moors in Spain, Arabs in Egypt, Turks in Asia Minor, Ottomans in South East Europe, Europeans in America, Europeans in Australia, Europeans in Africa...

Also, please offer something better than inverting other people's arguments. Demagogic tricks simply don't work on people worth talking to. Finally, explain how the US can absorb hundreds of millions of legal immigrants or illegal aliens within just a few years of "open borders" without causing the disasters I outlined.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »
None of those are examples of immigration.  All of them are examples of invasion and warfare.  If you can't tell the difference or think there is none then no point debating.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:50 PM »
None of those are examples of immigration.  All of them are examples of invasion and warfare.  If you can't tell the difference or think there is none then no point debating.
On the contrary. It is exactly that problem of misidentification that is one of my major points.

What is the difference between an invader and an immigrant? The immigrant enters the country legally, obeys the local laws, learns the language, assimilates in the culture, intermarries with locals, "goes native". An invader comes in without invitation, takes what he wants, disregards local laws, refuses to assimilate, speaks his own language and insists upon it; when in large enough numbers, he topples the host and takes over culturally, demographically, politically, and/or economically.

The examples I gave are indeed of invaders. And that is what we observe right now. Please explain how this is not so now. Please also explain how hundreds of millions entering in a few years over open borders will fail to become invaders even if at least some of them believe themselves to be immigrants instead.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 09:33:23 PM »
No, capital is just that.  Money that is used to make investments and generate a return for its owners.
I thought so, too, but the economics websites I consulted had different ideas.  Merriam-Websters was more liberal in it's definition, though.
a stock of accumulated goods especially at a specified time and in contrast to income received during a specified period; also : the value of these accumulated goods (2) : accumulated goods devoted to the production of other goods (3) : accumulated possessions calculated to bring in income b (1) : net worth (2) : STOCK 7c(1) c : persons holding capital d : ADVANTAGE, GAIN e : a store of useful assets or advantages
I think my usage fits number 3, but apparently capital means different things in different contexts.  

I bring up the EU to show that there are indeed countries that permit unrestricted movement over borders and no ill effects have happened.
Then you should have brought it up in that context, instead of trying to use it to prove that nations don't have sovereign borders.  Getting sloppy?  You will notice, however, that the EU nations are less than sovereign in their relationship to the countries with whom they have relaxed borders.  Sovereignty was one of your stipulations.

Diplomats are still labor, and that point of fact is all I was trying to clarify.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2006, 02:34:09 AM »
Quote from: CAnnoneer
On the contrary. It is exactly that problem of misidentification that is one of my major points.

What is the difference between an invader and an immigrant? The immigrant enters the country legally, obeys the local laws, learns the language, assimilates in the culture, intermarries with locals, "goes native". An invader comes in without invitation, takes what he wants, disregards local laws, refuses to assimilate, speaks his own language and insists upon it; when in large enough numbers, he topples the host and takes over culturally, demographically, politically, and/or economically.

The examples I gave are indeed of invaders. And that is what we observe right now. Please explain how this is not so now. Please also explain how hundreds of millions entering in a few years over open borders will fail to become invaders even if at least some of them believe themselves to be immigrants instead.
OK.  No point to debating then.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2006, 06:34:54 AM »
The Rabbi wrote:
The right of free movement of labor and capital is a basic human right.
Where would Israel be if they followed this principle?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2006, 06:43:41 AM »
Quote from: Desertdog
The Rabbi wrote:
Ouch! Hahaha!

Would the Israelis let 10s of millions of Arabs across their border? After all, those would be just immigrants...

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2006, 06:45:27 AM »
OK.  No point to debating then.
That does not fool anybody.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2006, 07:55:16 AM »
The Rabbi wrote:
Wealthier.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2006, 09:02:26 AM »
When I win the 8-zillion dollar powerball, I will buy a long stretch of land on the border and turn it into a big cat preserve.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
Quote from: TR
Illegal alien labor IS a government giveaway...to those that employ them and the illegals themselves.  Or, have you forgotten that taxpayers currently fund programs like public hospitals, schools, jails, welfare, & the like?  Programs that illegals make disproportionate use of.  Those that employ illegals are doing so at the cost of their taxpaying neighbors and ought to be held in contempt.
Any evidence or figures to back up these assertions?  In fact illegals often pay social security etc, just under someone else's name.  In addition they pay sales tax on any item they buy here.  When they rent apartments etc they are paying the real estate taxes due on the property.
Do illegals really make "disproportianate use" of hospitals, etc more than any other group of similar socio-economic status?  I think not.
Proportionate or disproportionate, the principle involved is the passing off the costs of doing business on to third parties.  Doing so is as immoral as smashing someone's fender and driving off.  The main difference being that the benefits are concentrated (employers, illegals) and hte costs are distributed (taxpayers).  So, employers of illegals & illegals are stealing a little bit from all taxpayers.

But, you wanted evidnce of disproportionate use of public, taxpayer services by illegal aliens.  Up unitl fairly recently, hard numbers have been difficult come by.  But, since fed.gov (AKA, Federal taxpayers) is helping local hospitals with illegal alien non-emergency hospital bills, hospitals are putting some effort into determining just who is here illegally.  Parkland Hospital, the Dallas area's* public hospital, has found that 70% of its 16,000 annual births are to illegal aliens.  Is 70% disproportionate enough for you?

As far as illegals paying taxes, supporters of amnesty estimate that "...just 55 percent to 65 percent of illegal workers are believed to pay taxes currently" such as income tax & social security tax.  I wonder how many qualify for EITC?  As to property taxes, we had a house a few streets over that was essentially a boarding house for illegals.  They had even gone so far as to build a barracks complete with bunks beds in the garage.  There were over 20 illegals staying there when the city raided the joint (after complaints from the neighbors).  When those illegals paid rent for a year, each paid roughly only 1/20 the property tax I must fork out.  One visit to the ER would wipe out a couple years' contributions.  One anchor baby born by an illegal throws the balance book into the red for the rest of the illegal's life, barring a win in the lottery.

Illegal aliens in our prison system(s) are, yes, disproportionate.  Illegal aliens are from 4%-7% of US population, but make up roughly 27% of the Federal prison population, according to http://www.bop.gov and www.gao.gov.  To see the numbers & math, see the following post at THR:
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=2711382&postcount=23
which contains the following downloadable files:
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45184&d=1158865947 (tab-delineated text)
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=45185&d=1158865963
showing the numbers and sourcing from BOP & GAO.

The stats for illegals in the school system are closely held, as the government school bureaucracy is a primary benefactor of the illegal alien & anchor baby bum-rush of our education system.  But, enterprising folks can find data required by law to be reported and then parse & analyze it.  For instance, Dallas Independent School District is 62.5% hispanic and from between 29%-48% of the hispanic population in the USA are citizens of other countries here illegally.  So, from 18-30 cents of every education tax dollar paid by the taxpayers in DISD goes to educate illegals or their anchor babies.

You clearly know nothing about the situation.  In fact much of the manual labor in Israel is or was done by Palestinians, much like Mexicans do it here.  When Israel shut off the border it was a punitive measure to the Palestinians, as much as a safety measure to prevent suicide bombings.  When we have suicide bombings by Mexicans here I will reconsider my position.
Oh, I might have more information on tap than you might think.  Your point is misdirected.  One thing I wrote was, "Those folks on the Gaza side of the fence sure look like they would appreciate some 'free movement of labor,' too."  That was in response to your statement, "The right of free movement of labor and capital is a basic human right."  From what I can see, the only movement between Gaza & Israel is that allowed by the Israelis, on Israeli terms.  So, are the Israelis denying the Palestinians' their "basic human rights?"  According to your formulation, yes; according to mine, no, as I am the one who supports the rigth of a sovereign country to let in only whomever the sovereign country wants on any terms the sovereign country decides to dictate.

S.Korea welcomes any citizen of N.Korea and gives them automatic citizenship upon entry.  I think your argument just failed.
Uh, The North Koreans are also Korean ethnically and speak the language of South Korea.  You also make the mistake of saying "any citizen."  Are not the hordes of Nork infantry also "any citizen of N.Korea?"  Strangely, they are denied entry to S Korea.  S Korea seems to only let in North Koreans on S Korea's terms.  As is the right of any free, sovereign state.

TR, I listed three free, sovereign countries in response to your statement:
That's certainly easier than trying to refute the basic fact that no free sovereign country has ever resorted to mining its borders to keep people from crossing.
You only made a weak riposte to the example of S Korea.  What about France & Finland?  Were they not free & sovereign?  Did they not use minefields and other signs of unwelcome to deter folks from crossing into their sovereign territory?

-----------------

I find it curious that the same fellow who writes...
There is no moral distinction.  Lack of freedom is lack of freedom.  Whether it is Communisits keeping people in E.Berlin or N.Koreans keeping people from going over to China or Americans keeping out Mexicans.
...would write the following...
When Israel shut off the border it was a punitive measure to the Palestinians, as much as a safety measure to prevent suicide bombings.
So, I guess some moral distinctions are made for some folks.

Also, the same fellow has often made the argument that the only rights we have as Americans are those that are masticated on and spit up by the political process now lets slip a rallying cry for basic human rights outside the purview of the political process.  For some, non-American people, that is.  rolleyes
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 11:52:32 AM »
The Rabbi wrote:
Wealthier.
Dead.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 12:03:43 PM »
Quote from: fistful
But wingnut, what will you feed them?
There will be herds of wildebeasts, gazelle, and whatever climbs over the fence.