Author Topic: That's right...  (Read 2058 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
That's right...
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:24:31 PM »
I placed 84th in the "Expert" categoryf or the Indoor National Pistol Sectionals in 2006. In 2005 I was 113th and in 2004 I was 223rd so I'm "rocketing" my way to stardom I'll tell ya.  Try not to be overly impressed, I know it's hard...

Please send money in lieu of applause, thank you.

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
That's right...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »
Congratulations. You can try to downplay the 84th place, but I think it's fantastic.

cosine

• Administrator
That's right...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 01:49:01 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
Congratulations. You can try to downplay the 84th place, but I think it's fantastic.
Indeed.

But, as special as it is, here's all I can afford: *clap, clap* Tongue

Ah, even better: Hold your hand up high, I can give you five for your accomplishments. *smack* Tongue
Andy

280plus

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:06:37 PM »
Thanks guys...

That was "Civilian Expert" category to be exact. I think I'm the most surprised that I'm "that good" to tell you the truth. FYI the Boy Scouts taught me how to shoot a rifle at 12 and then the Navy taught me how to shoot a pistol at 18. I was just lucky enough to be in the right places at the right time.

That's right...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
That's very good! Congrats!

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
That's right...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 04:39:36 PM »
Congratulations.

It's quite an honor.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Art Eatman

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:43:55 PM »
Moving up is Good.  Keep on keepin' on!

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
That's right...
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 05:32:42 AM »
Congratulations!

Whenever I get to thinking, "Hey, I think I mught be a pretty good shot," all I have to do is lend my pistol to a competitive Bullseye shooter for a heapin' helpin' of humble pie.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 06:17:31 AM »
It's really just a matter of good training and then practice. I have the privelege of shooting on the same team with one of the best civilian shots in the country. He took 6th in the "High Master Civilian" category in '05 at the indoor nationals, he didn't shoot this year. Anyhoo just spending an hour or so with him one Sunday morning a while back was good for adding at LEAST 10 points to my average. So if any of you alls want some tips or whatever on all this by all means let me know. I'd be more than happy to pass this stuff along.

Cheesy

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
That's right...
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 09:03:51 AM »
Congrats!

defcon5

That's right...
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 11:49:37 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
It's really just a matter of good training and then practice. I have the privelege of shooting on the same team with one of the best civilian shots in the country. He took 6th in the "High Master Civilian" category in '05 at the indoor nationals, he didn't shoot this year. Anyhoo just spending an hour or so with him one Sunday morning a while back was good for adding at LEAST 10 points to my average. So if any of you alls want some tips or whatever on all this by all means let me know. I'd be more than happy to pass this stuff along.

Cheesy
By all means proceed. I for one can use all of the help I can get.

280plus

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 01:21:37 AM »
Well, IMHO, the most important thing I learned from #6 is trigger control:

Someone, somewhere did a test. They used a computer to track the point of aim while someone aimed their weapon at a target offhand. The resulting "picture" closely resmbled the kind of picture you would get out of a spirograph (hopefully you all know what spirograph is)(if not chime in and I'll try to explain) Anyhoo, the results showed that while yes there were little loops drawn away from the center all around the perimeter where the POA was off target, something on the order of 95% of the time the POA was dead center or in other words the center was blackened in with little "flower petal" loops around it. Picture a daisy I guess. So what was learned from this is that your body has the built in ability to hold on target, all by itself, 95% of the time. What does that tell us? We DO NOT need to concentrate on holding on target. It will be done automatically. So what does THAT tell us? We need to FORGET about how the sights are wandering all over the target and concentrate 100% on a NICE EVEN TRIGGER SQUEEZE so that when the hammer releases it is a surprise. What THIS does is take the blink or flinch out of the picture. He told me everybody flinches or blinks. Even if your EYES don't blink your MIND does. The object is to get that flinch to come just the split second AFTER the shot is released. That's why a surprise trigger break is so important. If you KNOW when the gun will fire you will incorporate your flinch into the shot. That's called "anticipation" or "anticipating the recoil" if you are surprised by the gun firing, the flinch will come too late to have any effect on the shot. If you try to pull the trigger ONLY when the sights are perfectly centered chances are you'll jerk the trigger almost every time. Once you have learned to do this SLOWLY you will maintain your nice trigger squeeze when you start to speed things up. Another great shooter (IDPA style) tells me, "Concentrate on accuracy and the speed will come. THE SPEED WILL COME!!" ( Yea, I was gettin' yelled at at the time. Tongue ) he was ruight though. These days I'm a bit faster and the bullets usually go where I want them. I don't know HOW but they do. Wink

And there IMHO is the biggest secret. LET the sights do what they will, YOUR JOB is to ignore that and instead release that hammer as a surprise WITHOUT DISTURBING THE GUN!!

This works even for rifles at long distanceas well btw. I've tried it.

Well, I think that's the gist of it. Naturally theres tons more but this is the biggest part IMHO.

280plus

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 02:56:17 AM »
Another way to put it is to add pressure slowly and evenly to the trigger, just keep adding, adding, adding slowly until the hammer breaks. Once you start your pull you DO NOT STOP adding pressure. If you get "chicken finger" and the thing doesn't seem like it wants to break, put it down after 5 seconds. Try again.

peteinct

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 05:21:22 AM »
Listen to the man.  I went to the range with him yesterday and he can shoot!

pete

280plus

• friend
That's right...
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »
Awww, cut it out...

Tongue

It was a good shoot! The rest of youy missed the "Gun Smorgasbord" that pete laid out for us. I even got to shoot the latest greatest most non pc Berretta Storm. Nice little gun. Accurate too.