Author Topic: Sliders (the hamburger, not the TV series)  (Read 1510 times)

Warren

Sliders (the hamburger, not the TV series)
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
So who makes the best ones? There are people from all over on this board so let's have your opinions.

Are there any restaurants in California that sell good versions? Denny's has sliders on the menu but it's only Denny's so I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Thanks.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »
Krystal's for a large chain.

Little place called Pop's Drive In in a little podunk TN town for an independent.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Only ONE place to for real sliders.

White Castle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 06:53:20 PM »
Whoa...  I'm just surprised that anyone remembered the TV show.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:02:32 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
Only ONE place to for real sliders.

White Castle - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)
Mega +1 on White Castle. Who are these other pretenders who dare to call themselves Slyders? Cheesy

Slyder Secret

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 07:03:20 PM »
white castle.. yeech....
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
Does anyone know where "slyder" comes from, or why?  Until a few years ago, I never heard the term.  We called the burgers "White Castles."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 09:20:54 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Does anyone know where "slyder" comes from, or why?  Until a few years ago, I never heard the term.  We called the burgers "White Castles."
I *think* it is a refference to both the way they enter and leave your body. It used to be employed to describe any number of particularly interesting (from a gastric perspective) burgers.

James Fitzer

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 10:18:16 PM »
there's a bar i used to work at that has a brunch buffet on sundays, with a great prime rib.

And the Monday lunch special is prime rib sliders made with the leftovers. They're super cheap, and their awesome.

THAT's the best one i've had. Technically not a "real" slider, but beats the piss out of anything white castle can offer

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:45:22 AM »
There is absolutely no flatulence on earth like that produced by sliders from White Castle&

Don't eat White Castle before an eight hour drive through hot muggy rainstorms that force you to keep the windows rolled up.

You can always just burn your clothes, but replacing car upholstery is expensive...
I promise not to duck.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 06:22:17 AM »
WHITE CASTLE!

Krystal makes a decent enough substitute but biting into your first one not expecting mustard is a bit of a shocker lol
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 07:08:40 AM »
A little mustard is a good idea on any burger.  Most fast food stores put on too much ketchup and mustard, though, so I'd rather get it dry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 07:26:53 AM »
Not saying it is a bad thing lol

But when you are used to ketchup and suddenly get mustard it makes you go wtf is wrong with this burger for a few seconds before it registers that its just mustard lol
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 07:47:42 AM »
c_yeager has it right. They have alternatively been called "belly bombs" as well for the reasons AJ Dual mentioned.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »
White Castle burgers? Oh boy. You either love them or hate them. They always taste good after bar close when you're intoxicated. Never eat them during daylight hours or when you're sober.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
White Castles may be considered synonymous with the term "sliders", but not exclusively so.

I used to fly low-level reconnaissance sorties in the Sea of Japan.  By low-level, I mean taking a 4-engine Boeing WC-135 (looks like a 707) down to 1000-1500 feet, occasionally down to 500 feet altitude, letting the systems get a good sniff of transport layer winds.

It's a damned bumpy ride in that neck of the woods at that altitude, and to do it for 8+ hours at a time, one got tossed around inside the plane just as much if not more than the plane itself did. The fact that we weighed over 250,000 pounds and were going over 300 knots didn't mitigate the punishment we received in the least bit. Barf bags were actually part of the preflight checklist, I kid you not.

Enter the MAC (now AMC) passenger terminal at Yokota AB, Japan.  They had a snack bar/restaurant there that made all sorts of goodies.  Usually I had yakisoba with rice on the side, or chili on rice.  However, if the weather forecast for our sortie that day said it was going to be a hellish, bumpy ride, we all ordered the same thing.  Greasy Sliders, we called them.  Big double cheeseburgers dripping with grease and melted cheese, turning the wrapping paper transparent, along with french fries just as well lubricated.  Sometimes the guys would order a fried egg to be added to the burger, for extra measure. One thing was for certain - they went straight to the bottom of one's gut, and STAYED THERE.  No kidding.  A really rough flight might produce some burbles of high-humidity flatulence, but that's what oxygen masks were for.  Nobody yakked a Greasy Slider, and that was a Good Thing. Flying along at that altitude and airspeed with one hand holding a barf bag was uncomfortable, and potentially distracting when reaction time was at a premium.

It didn't take new members of our crews long to discover our secret, after their own episodes with the cute plastic bags packaged so neatly in small yellow envelopes. Sure enough, Greasy Sliders became part of the mission routine, right after crew briefing and before preflight, about 1.5 hours prior to engine start.   Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harry Paget Flashman

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 04:11:54 PM »
Best ones are the double cheeseburgers at Sonic (hold the lettuce).