Author Topic: Wonder if this is true  (Read 1026 times)

grampster

• friend
Wonder if this is true
« on: September 21, 2006, 02:26:42 PM »
Got this e mail a few minutes ago.
I wonder if it's factual.

This past weekend FEMA and the City of Austin, along with the Texas Workforce Commission setup a job hiring/interview/job fair for all the Katrina FEMA evacuees in the Austin area to be held at the ACC campus on Webberville Road in East Austin.

Several of the evacuees said they had no transportation to get from the apartment complexes.

So the city of Austin/FEMA/TWC set up transportation for each of them to ensure they would be able to partake of the benefit of job searching.

The transportation consisted of nine buses and vans, to run from four locations in Round Rock, and five locations in Austin, in continuing shuttles back and forth to the campus to ensure that the hundreds of people looking for jobs would be transported in comfort.

The vehicles were brought to their residences; drivers knocked on the doors; and every effort was made to get the people to the job fair.

At the end of the day, the nine vans and buses transported a total of one person. Not one person per bus - one person total.

At the end of the day, none of the Katrina Evacuees applied for any of the jobs.

Not one person took employment - NONE total.

The bill to FEMA was $7800. And yet they still get on TV claiming that the United States Government "OWES THEM", I say we don't owe them anything and if anything, they owe us - the Tax Payers that are "WORKING PEOPLE"

They owe what they have been mooching off of the Tax Payers for almost a year now. It is obvious that they don't intend to work as long as they can sponge  off of the system. It is time to cut them loose and tell them the free ride  is over!

PS - Pass this along to everyone you can if you agree that we don't owe them ANYTHING !
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Wonder if this is true
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 02:35:01 PM »
Looks like there is a little more to the story, as well as a few outright lies.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/politics/jobfair.asp

tag lines like this
PS - Pass this along to everyone you can if you agree that we don't owe them ANYTHING !
usually indicate to me that we are dealing with propoganda of some sort.

CAnnoneer

• friend
Wonder if this is true
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »
Propaganda or not, I believe that it is not the business of the FedGov to provide for victims of natural disasters, or any other disasters. It is debatable if FedGov is even supposed to do anything during the disaster, but once the immediate physical danger has passed, FedGov certainly has no more reason for involvement. Anything else is just cheap politics and vote hunting resulting in yet another form of taxpayer-sponsored entitlement.

Wonder if this is true
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:15:40 PM »
This is pretty much the standard rub of minarchists.  While welfare and other programs may be reaching some people who are deserving, we KNOW its reaching alot who arn't.   That money, is taken forcibly from us.  Not Cool.

Private Charity, theres also probably alot of free loaders (most often the 6 figure non profit employees).  However, that money isn't taken by force.  

All and all, I'm mostly angry at the corporate free loaders.  Steal little, Steal BIG.  MY biggest enemy, Carnival Cruise Lines.  They have a goverment granted monopoly on some travel routes.  Despite this, they have their corporate headquarters at a foriegn post office box.  During the Katrina Disaster FEMA rented out one of their cruise ships, at full price.... Thats paying full price for each cabin.  The ship had less than an 1/8th of the cabins purchased at the time, and the profits from those sales were kept without refunds to those customers (act of god and whatnot).  Due to 'logisitics' no Katrina refuges ever made it to the ship.  All the food purchased and whatnot, made its way to resale at additional profit for Carnival.  

Sadly, that sort of thing wasnt and isnt, out of the norm.  While its safe to despise welfare for the poor, corporate welfare is much more destructive of the system... a giant donation (bribe) goes alot further from a corp than kissing up to the poor, who mostly (quite ironic too) don't even bother to vote.

INSANE!
:continues to rant about the corruption of the gobment:
Thesis of Rant, no politician really wants a corruption free world, it goes against their own best interest.

Wonder if this is true
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Looks like there is a little more to the story, as well as a few outright lies.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/politics/jobfair.asp

tag lines like this
usually indicate to me that we are dealing with propoganda of some sort.
:quotes from article:
 "That fair was open to evacuees of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita as well as other unemployed Houstonians."

Well, assuming it was only the unemployed Houstonians that made up the attendence and got the jobs, horrible story remains true.  The article says no facts or figures are available concerning that ratio.  Being mostly cumudgions here, lets assume the worst Wink