Author Topic: Mogul Pledges Billions Against Warming  (Read 1113 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Mogul Pledges Billions Against Warming
« on: September 21, 2006, 04:27:52 PM »
If he really wants to help reduce the CO2 on earth, the easiest way that I have heard, is to cause/help millions of trees to be planted.  Just think of all those millins of new trees drinking in that CO2 laden air and spewing out Oxygen.  But if you read the story real close, sentence 3 says he is going to invest in finding renewable, sustainable energy sources.
Sounds like a standard business investment to me.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/21/D8K9AML02.html

By NAHAL TOOSI
Associated Press Writer

British business mogul Richard Branson said Thursday he would invest about $3 billion to combat global warming over the next decade.
Branson, the billionaire behind the multi-platform Virgin brand, said the money would come from 100 percent of the profits generated by his transportation and airline sectors. It will then be invested in efforts to find renewable, sustainable energy sources in an effort to wean the world off of oil and coal.

Branson made the announcement on the second day of the Clinton Global Initiative, an annual conference of business, political and nonprofit leaders hosted by former President Clinton.

"Our generation has inherited an incredibly beautiful world from our parents and they from their parents," Branson said at a news conference with Clinton at his side. "We must not be the generation responsible for irreversibly damaging the environment."

Clinton praised Branson, calling him one of the most "creative" and "committed" people had ever known.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:28:40 PM »
If he gives me just one million of that, I'll stop driving my car. Really!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:32:36 PM »
Quote from: Desertdog
If he really wants to help reduce the CO2 on earth, the easiest way that I have heard, is to cause/help millions of trees to be planted.  Just think of all those millins of new trees drinking in that CO2 laden air and spewing out Oxygen.  But if you read the story real close, sentence 3 says he is going to invest in finding renewable, sustainable energy sources.
Sounds like a standard business investment to me.
+1

For a renewable, sustainable energy source...

Trees are also a renewable biomass that can be used to make products, burnt as fuel and fermented to make ethonol. Plus yes they reduce CO2 in the atmosphere, cool houses with shade, give habitat to critters, and yes we can do it for the benefit of the children. (Liberals wet dream)

Plus we know that the old school gun stocks are made from trees.

Trees will save us and we can climb them to be closer to god. Smiley

Its a win, win situation I tell you!

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:08:52 PM »
Securing a new source of fuel for his fleet of airliners is a pretty smart idea.

That they happen to be a huge producer of greenhouse gasses is an added bonus.

Nothing is as good for the world as enlightened self-interest.