Author Topic: Congress Adds Insult To Vets' Brain Injuries  (Read 2343 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Congress Adds Insult To Vets' Brain Injuries
« on: September 21, 2006, 05:31:02 PM »
(With apologies to Art, I was going to put it here but thought it MIGHT fit at THR, your wish is my command... Wink )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Daily News
September 20, 2006

By Paul Rieckhoff

As a veteran of the current conflict in Iraq, I am sickened - but unfortunately not surprised - by a new development out of Washington, D.C.

Politicians in Congress are on the verge of cutting funding for the treatment of a health problem that affects more than 100,000 Iraq war vets. Yes, you read that correctly.

The condition is called traumatic brain injury (TBI). Here's the typical way U.S. soldiers in Iraq - including friends of mine - come to suffer from TBI: by barely escaping a rocket-propelled grenade attack or being a little too close when an improvised explosive device goes off near a Humvee.

In milder cases, this results in vision, hearing or speech problems, dizziness and memory loss. In more severe cases, TBI causes serious brain damage. It's becoming known as the signature wound of this war.

Why? Because one in 10 Iraq vets has sustained a concussion at some point during his or her tour of duty. This severe blow to the head jars the brain against the inside of the skull, and often leads to TBI.

The injury doesn't just affect the service member. Families bear the burden. One mother of a 23-year old Iraq vet diagnosed with TBI told me, "My son's not the same person anymore. He's got judgment problems, memory problems. I can't leave him alone in the house."

So, how does Congress respond to this growing need? It's preparing to slash funding for research and treatment of brain injuries caused by bomb blasts. The current House version of the 2007 defense appropriations bill contains just $7 million for the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center - half of what was allocated to the center last year.

How on Earth do they try to explain this unpardonable cut? A congressional spokeswoman, Jenny Manley, told USA Today, "There were just so many priorities." Defending the elected officials, she added, "They didn't have any flexibility in such a tight fiscal year."

Let's get this straight. In a bill appropriating more than $400 billion in defense spending, primarily to support a war in Iraq that has already cost hundreds of billions ofdollars, Congress can't find a fewmillion to adequately treat troops wounded with brain injuries for the rest of their lives?

Thankfully, because of a public outcry, the issue is still on the table. Any day now, a congressional committee will meet to make the final decision. It had better do the right thing and fully fund the brain injury center's original budget request of $19 million.

Americans remember how, last year, Congress and the President dropped everything to address the issues of just one brain-damaged woman: Terri Schiavo. Now, our leaders will either lift up or let down thousands of brain-damaged troops. Which will they choose?

Rieckhoff is the executive director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America and author of "Chasing Ghosts: A Soldier's Fight from Baghdad to Washington."
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 06:11:05 PM »
A good question would be, what other programs are addressing this issue?

Also,  is this merely reducing redundancy, or is it cutting a unique care provider?

Some things I read earlier led me to believe that this was the former, but I don't have a source offhand.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:46:36 AM »
I'd love to see it if you can locate it.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 07:20:42 AM »
I'm sure this is just so they can vote on another pay increase next month.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 08:59:48 AM »
This article is older than the original post, but the subject matter is more recent:

Thursday, September 7, 2006

{WASHINGTON, DC}  The Senate today approved a bipartisan amendment sponsored by U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) to fully fund the treatment of traumatic brain injuries. The amendment, which was offered to the Department of Defense Appropriations bill, will allocate an additional $12 million to the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center, providing the center a total of $19 million for Fiscal Year 2007.

Durbin said the Brain Injury Center is completely different from other Brain Injury programs and initiatives because it focuses on the well being of those who put themselves in harms way for our country. While the focus is treatment, it links injured soldiers to clinical studies where cutting edge treatments are developed. And it does this with all members of the military - both active duty military personnel and reservists. No other brain center combines treatment and clinical studies for the immediate benefit of American servicemembers. The Brain Injury Center also focuses on the unique needs of military and veteran beneficiaries including return to duty considerations, continuity of care with military and veterans hospitals, and the TRICARE health system.

Durbin was joined by U.S. Senator George Allen (R-VA) and others in offering the amendment. The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans, the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, the National Military Families Association, the American Legion, and the Blinded Veterans Association all support an increase in funding for the Brain Injury Center.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:03:08 AM »
Here's a redundant program that likely got some of the DVBIC funding cut in the original budget:

TEMECULA, Calif., June 27, 2005 -- LifeTree eClinical, a member of the FFF Enterprises Inc. family of companies and a leading provider of clinical electronic data capture and analysis systems, today announced that the company has been selected for a traumatic brain injury (TBI) trial to be conducted by the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC). The study will include up to 3,000 U.S. military service members and veterans who have TBI. Patients from Walter Reed Army Medical Center and other DVBIC military and Veterans Administration sites will be followed during and after their hospital stays.
According to Laurie M. Ryan, Ph.D., the trial's purpose is to track and understand the kinds of problems associated with TBI in the military. "The TBI patients are predominantly male and younger -- in their twenties," Dr. Ryan explained, "and the majority of the patients being seen now have been injured in the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Our goal is to use the information from this study to improve diagnosis and care of TBI."

http://www.actmagazine.com/appliedclinicaltrials/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=168004

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 09:57:24 AM »
Wow, I wonder what the Daily news is getting at then Thanks for the articles! I'm going to try to contact the author and ask. It'll be a few days, I'm going out of town.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 10:11:17 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Politicians in Congress are on the verge of cutting funding for the treatment of a health problem that affects more than 100,000 Iraq war vets. Yes, you read that correctly.
There are THAT many documented, diagnosed cases of TBI in just Iraqi war vets?  No WONDER Democrats have been moving up in the polls.  Seriously, do we even HAVE 100,000 soldiers in ALL of Iraq?  I would like a source for this figure, pleae...

Why? Because one in 10 Iraq vets has sustained a concussion at some point during his or her tour of duty. This severe blow to the head jars the brain against the inside of the skull, and often leads to TBI.
How often?  What percentage of concussion incidents lead to TBI?  The article kind of implies concussion = TBI, but I'm certain thats only true in a fraction of cases.
So, how does Congress respond to this growing need? It's preparing to slash funding for research and treatment of brain injuries caused by bomb blasts. The current House version of the 2007 defense appropriations bill contains just $7 million for the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center - half of what was allocated to the center last year.
Perhaps the center doesn't NEED as much money this year.  Perhaps the reduced level of conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan, plus increased armoring of vehicles, is reducing the need for treatment?
How on Earth do they try to explain this unpardonable cut? A congressional spokeswoman, Jenny Manley, told USA Today, "There were just so many priorities." Defending the elected officials, she added, "They didn't have any flexibility in such a tight fiscal year."

Let's get this straight. In a bill appropriating more than $400 billion in defense spending, primarily to support a war in Iraq that has already cost hundreds of billions ofdollars, Congress can't find a fewmillion to adequately treat troops wounded with brain injuries for the rest of their lives?
Any trrops NOT being adequately treated - for lack of funds?  How many, IF ANY?  You know, a million here and a million there, and pretty soon you're talking about REAL MONEY...

Rieckhoff is the executive director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America and author of "Chasing Ghosts: A Soldier's Fight from Baghdad to Washington."
Perhaps some info about Reickhoff will be useful in determining how much weight to put behind his screed....

...(about his service in Iraq) - ""Sometimes I felt like I was a member of the Brown Shirts in Nazi Germany," admits Rieckhoff.

...(his political leanings) - he flirted with the Kerry campaign following his discharge, and gave a radio rebuttal to a presidential address on behalf of the Democrats, he claims to be disgusted with how both parties are treating the war. One got us in, the other won't get us out.  (..so the Dems aren't LEFT enough for him???)

...and from IAVA itself:

"We are fully committed to the capture of Osama Bin Laden and the destruction of his terrorist network. With 90% of our active duty Army committed in Iraq and our National Guard engaged as well, our nation is now less secure than prior to our invasion of Iraq. We are more vulnerable to terrorism and less able to respond to natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina
We support diplomatic efforts and policies that are consistent with our values and interests as Americans. Displaying arrogance in diplomatic affairs, disregarding the world community and condoning torture are examples of actions that are irreconcilable with those values. In a world where America is battling for hearts and minds, we reject policies that jeopardize our international standing and therefore damage the interests of the nation as a whole "

Nah, no political axe to grind on the part of this DEMOCRATIC PARTY SPOKESMAN, Wall Street investment banker, and self-declared "expert" on the military and Middle East...no bias at all...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 10:17:40 AM »
Seriously, do we even HAVE 100,000 soldiers in ALL of Iraq?
We have 140,000+ at the moment, and many times that number have rotated through. It's not one group of people that have been there the entire time.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
Seriously, do we even HAVE 100,000 soldiers in ALL of Iraq?
We have 140,000+ at the moment, and many times that number have rotated through. It's not one group of people that have been there the entire time.
So how many times has the total rotated?  If one out ten soldiers that goes to Iraq gets a concussion - a figure I seriously doubt - and ALL soldiers that get concussions get TBI, and there are 100,000 soldiers that need ttreatment for TBI due to Iraq, then simple math tells us the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM NUMBER of soldiers that have been to Iraq is ONE MILLION.  If HALF of all conncussions lead to TBI, then hte figure has to be TWO MILLION.  They are inversely proportional.  The math doesn't add up.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 11:37:28 AM »
I would not be suprised if there have been over a million GIs rotated through Iraq.

Different units do different rotation.

Army grunts tend to do 18 months, Marines do 7 months, Seabees do 6, Rangers do 3 (but are in-and-out a lot)

Army also tends to get extended more.

We had 3 divisions there at first, now it's all mixed up.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 12:29:53 PM »
Quote from: wingnutx
I would not be suprised if there have been over a million GIs rotated through Iraq.
Even if there were, EVERY sodlier that got a concussio would have to get TBI to make the math work out.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 12:40:03 PM »
I'm not disputing your math, since I'm not doing any of my own.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 02:11:36 PM »
Concussion got redefined as a brain injury (20?) years ago.

www.biausa.org/Pages/types_of_brain_injury.html

"Both closed and open head injuries can produce a concussion. A concussion is the most common type of traumatic brain injury."

www.dvbic.org  does treatment, education and research at 8 sites and I can't quite figure out precisely what they propose to cut. One of the sites is the VA Hopsital here in Richmond and the civilian site is Lakeview Neurocare in Charlottesville.

John