Author Topic: Computer help:Transferring Favorites file from one computer to another  (Read 763 times)

TMM

• friend
Hey all. We recently got a new computer and had the data migrated from the old one to the new, but the Favorites/Bookmarks file in Mozilla Firefox was not migrated. Before i hooked up the old computer, i looked on the new one for the file so as to not waste time. I searched pretty well, but i could not find it. i found C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox easily, but that's it. didn't know where else to go.

Help?

Thanks!

~tmm

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Computer help:Transferring Favorites file from one computer to another
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 02:37:01 PM »
It won't be there.  It will be some sobdirectory under "c:\documents and settings\\.  Quite possibly a hidden subdirectory (in Explorer, chicl tools, options, then check to view hidden files).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 03:38:26 PM »
On my system it is located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxx.default
The file is called bookmarks.html

Again, this is on my system. For whatever reason your's may be different.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 03:43:34 PM »
Google up "mozbackup."  It is a backup utility for Firefox and Thunderbird.  All settings are saved.

I just installed a new C drive.  I previously backed up F and T settings.  The restore worked perfectly.  No heartburn.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:01:50 PM »
The quick and dirty way to get your Mozilla bookmarks from one machine to another:

1. From the menu chose Bookmarks|Manage Bookmarks
2. When Bookmark manager opens choose File|Export and go through the menus that come up. This will create a second file of all your bookmarks wherever you save it (desktop is easiest).
3. Copy the file to a disk or a thumbdrive and insert into the new machine.
4. Open Mozilla/Firefox on the new machine and choose File|Import and work through the install screens that come up. Your bookmarks should now be on the new machine.