Author Topic: What the heck was this about?  (Read 5195 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
What the heck was this about?
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:14:27 PM »
From FoxNews:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331818,00.html

Mystery Plane Seemingly Bound for Iraq Lands in Florida
Thursday , February 21, 2008

Why did an airplane seemingly destined for Iraq somehow end up in Highlands County, Fla.?

Authorities aren't saying much, but the case of the mystery plane has gotten local residents talking, according to a report by MyFOXTampaBay.

The small plane, which made an emergency landing in a Florida field, featured Iraqi markings on its body, but most were covered up by paper, the TV station reports.

Capt. Randy Labelle of the Highlands County Sheriff's Office told MyFOXTampaBay that the plane was en route from Tampa to Miami and was owned by a private contractor planning to take about a dozen of the planes to Iraq.

But Labelle couldn't say what the plane was doing on this trip, or what happened to the pilot, who was taken to an airport and whisked away on another plane.

Especially weird, the pilot was quickly flown away in another plane.  I wonder what they intended for these planes once they got to Iraq?  I wonder how they were going to get them there in the first place?
There's probably a boat waiting for a cargo somewhere...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Re: What the heck was this about?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
Shhhh...go to sleep silly peasant. Nothing to worry about. They are keeping you safe from third world bandits. Don't question, just submit.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:37:29 AM »
The true mission of the plane can now be told.

As is well known but little remembered, much of Sadam Hiusien's wealth was frozen in banks in the USA.  With the rise in insurgent violence recently, the cost of waging The Surge has risen.  GWB, wishing to avoid another showdown with the Democratic Congress, has found a way to cover the increasing expenses of the Army in Iraq by "defrosting" those frozen assets and returning them home, where they can be laundered and recycled for use in paying for the imperialist war of occupation.  The additional and unexpected side benefit of this move is that GWB's minions have been able to reduce the number of "scam" emails flowing out of Nigeria, thus reducing traffic on the Intetnet.  That reduction has resulted in dial-up speeds exceeding 340 Megabits per nanosecond in certain areas of Wyoming and Nebraska.

As for how the plane was going to reach Iraq - just where did you think those large around-the-world baloons that disappeared went to?  Who did you think was behind their disappearances?  Those events were not mere bad fate, nor were they the doings of fundamentalist Shia Indonesian pirates seeking ramsom.  They were coordinated events planned and carried out in preparation for this final chapter in the forcing of freedom on a hapless and helpless Middle Eastern country.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now you know the rest of the story."

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:16:02 AM »
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/21/america/NA-GEN-US-Iraqi-Emergency-Landing.php

SEBRING, Florida: No one knew what to make of it when a small propeller airplane stenciled with the words "Iraqi Air Force" made an emergency landing on a country road near the rural Florida community of Sebring.

Local sheriff's deputies surrounded the aircraft and stopped journalists from photographing it. The plane's markings were covered.

As it turns out, it was a training aircraft built for the Iraqi military that was being flown from the Tampa area to Miami for shipment to Iraq, Cessna spokesman Doug Oliver said Thursday.

The Cessna C-172 experienced mechanical problems and the pilot was forced to land on a rural road just north of Lake Okeechobee on Wednesday evening, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.

The four-seat, single-engine plane was a part of a $10.5 million (?7.13 million) contract awarded to Cessna Aircraft Co. of Wichita, Kansas, for 18 aircraft for the Iraqi Air Force, U.S. Air Force spokesman Daryl Mayer said.

Gray wolf losing protected status in U.S.
The aircraft are shipped from Miami to Iraq aboard Air Force transport planes, Oliver said.

The FAA said it is still investigating.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:19:06 AM »
Looks like a contractor in training, that's all.

Probably needed new pants if authorities surrounded the plane, though.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:41:28 AM »
Maybe....since we've spent billions guarding Iraq's border....Iraq is going to patrol our border for a change?

Nah....they actually shoot at invaders.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:33:30 PM »
Awww crap, and I had gotten my tinfoil hat jjjjjuuusssstttttt right.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »
18 C172s?

10 million bucks?

Gee, just how much are those flibs going for these days?

Blog under construction

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »
18 C172s?

10 million bucks?

I saw a 2008 model 172SP going for $283,000. The Iraqi AF ones are about double that. They probably come with coffee pots. shocked angel
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 02:56:06 AM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 03:08:43 AM »
18 C172s?

10 million bucks?

I saw a 2008 model 172SP going for $283,000. The Iraqi AF ones are about double that. They probably come with coffee pots. shocked angel

Probably full electronics, plus the cost of delivery and probably some of the training contract.  Just a hunch.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

elrod

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/21/america/NA-GEN-US-Iraqi-Emergency-Landing.php

SEBRING, Florida: No one knew what to make of it when a small propeller airplane stenciled with the words "Iraqi Air Force" made an emergency landing on a country road near the rural Florida community of Sebring.

Local sheriff's deputies surrounded the aircraft and stopped journalists from photographing it. The plane's markings were covered.

As it turns out, it was a training aircraft built for the Iraqi military that was being flown from the Tampa area to Miami for shipment to Iraq, Cessna spokesman Doug Oliver said Thursday.

The Cessna C-172 experienced mechanical problems and the pilot was forced to land on a rural road just north of Lake Okeechobee on Wednesday evening, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.

The four-seat, single-engine plane was a part of a $10.5 million (?7.13 million) contract awarded to Cessna Aircraft Co. of Wichita, Kansas, for 18 aircraft for the Iraqi Air Force, U.S. Air Force spokesman Daryl Mayer said.

Gray wolf losing protected status in U.S.
The aircraft are shipped from Miami to Iraq aboard Air Force transport planes, Oliver said.

The FAA said it is still investigating.

Just as I suspected........a forthcoming air strike in Iraq.........
Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
Wow, the Iraqis are going to get an impressive airforce, there. 172's.

"Turn back immediately, or we shall...reach you sometime tomorrow, and may launch a flare!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Ah, yes, the mighty 172. The choice of mall ninjas everywhere for fixed wing air support. When the ducttaped trauma plates and .300 Win Mag Handi-Rifle just isn't enough. Screaming speed of 120 knots on a good day, with a tailwind.

As a side note, all piston-engine Cessnas come from the factory these days with the Garmin G1000 glass panel avionics suite.

But Labelle couldn't say what the plane was doing on this trip, or what happened to the pilot, who was taken to an airport and whisked away on another plane.

Especially weird, the pilot was quickly flown away in another plane.

Rule number 136 of flying: Never, ever speak to the media regarding aviation matters, particularly a crash or emergency landing. Only speak to the FAA the minimum requirement. The media will eagery and happily twist whatever you tell them.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mfree

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
As far as the aircraft go.... cant' blame 'em for getting some nice forward observation slash individual transport aircraft.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
Just had an idea for aerial munitions - I bet it's been done before...

Get a case of glass jars of the proper size. Insert a grenade in each. When you approach the target, pull all the pins. Dump 'em out. They hit, and approximately 5 seconds later there's lots of noise...

Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 06:22:39 PM »

Get a case of glass jars of the proper size. Insert a grenade in each. When you approach the target, pull all the pins. Dump 'em out. They hit, and approximately 5 seconds later there's lots of noise...

Read it in a novel, before. Sounds plausible.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »
Sounds like an idea that would've been used during WWI... but I'm thinking fuses nowadays are three seconds instead of five. Dropping mortar rounds would probably do about the same.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »
Looky what I found on strategypage.com

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairfo/articles/20080219.aspx

February 19, 2008: Strapped for cash, and qualified pilots, the Iraqi Air Force has adopted a clever solution for both problems. It is buying Cessna 172 single engine aircraft for training pilots. This is a common aircraft for the task, and those equipped for training are often called the T-41. But Iraq is also buying Cessna Grand Caravan 208B  aircraft. This is also a single engine aircraft, but is larger than the four seat 172, and can carry nine passengers, or about a ton of cargo. The 208Bs are being equipped with the same sensors and targeting pods used on the Predator UAV. The 208B can be rigged to carry Hellfire missiles as well, giving the Iraqis an aircraft that can act as an Predator clone, a personnel transport or a cargo hauler. Many are available on the used aircraft market for about $2 million each. And pilots can be quickly trained on the 172, and easily transition to the 208B. 

Hmm...rigging a Caravan with missiles. Cooooool. I WANT!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »

Read it in a novel, before. Sounds plausible.

I prefer the block of C4 hidden in a bag of Afghan heroin dropped onto a bridge......worked in The Living Daylights....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 05:16:11 AM »
Here's the thing I think alot of you are missing:
All pilots have to start somewhere.  Most commercial pilots likely had stick time in the C172  in thier formative years.
When I was ATC in KBRO (good luck with that one  laugh), we had a flight school there.  They had contracts with several countries' airlines, including Saudi Arabia.  They recieved experience, English language immersion, and FAA certifications. 
So its no surprise that the new Iraqi air force would want some C172's for training.

Now, the C208B's....that's just cool right there!  I love the Caravan...its an amazing piece of machinery.

Seems a little slow and vulnerable to ground fire to me, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mfree

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 06:29:36 AM »
Cessna's no stranger to attack aircraft either. Remember the A37 Dragonfly?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »
Cessna's no stranger to attack aircraft either. Remember the A37 Dragonfly?

Trainer they made into an "attack aircraft", AFAIK.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
Yep.
IIRC its still in use in Africa and South America as a combat aircraft.  Great little ground attack plane.

JD

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »
Yep.
IIRC its still in use in Africa and South America as a combat aircraft.  Great little ground attack plane.

We had the last active unit of OA-37's at Howard AFB, Panama, and most of them were sold to South American countries in 1991. One of the common problems commonly encountered by the "Tweets" were bird strikes, I think due to the similarity in size to large aves and their mistaken desire to mate with the aircraft.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G