Author Topic: Walter Cronkite gone  (Read 1852 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Walter Cronkite gone
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
Walter Cronkite has passed on.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/17/eveningnews/main5170556.shtml?tag=breakingnews

(CBS)  The "most trusted man in America" is gone.

Walter Cronkite, who personified television journalism for more than a generation as anchor and managing editor of the "CBS Evening News," has died. CBS vice president Linda Mason says Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. Friday with his family by his side at his home in New York after a long illness. He was 92.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Walter Cronkite gone
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
R.I.P

may God have mercy on his soul
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »
may God have mercy on his soul

Huh? ???
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:26:02 PM »
Huh? ???

You've never heard the term?

You don't want me to preach the gospel now and tell you how we are all sinners in need of Gods mercy do you?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »
Oh, I've heard the term, and seen it used to send off the exceptionally damned.

I never figured Walter Cronkite, who was a fixture in my youth from the 1960s onward, would merit that.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »
Once he left his job as chief editorialist network anchor for CBS, didn't he become rather infamous for condemning US actions, US policies, US government, US values, etc., even going so far as to say the US would have to give up sovereignty?

Oh, yeah, he did, during a world government speech:

One clip (comment is at about 4:58 time mark.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDQAgPjv94M
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »
Call me when someone worthwhile passes....

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:03:04 AM »
I shall not shed any tears over his passing...(nor Jane Fonda).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 01:04:15 AM »
Nope, don't know this guy either.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:56 AM »
My first 'exposure' to the man was probably in an episode of The Simpsons. Well, he lived to a ripe old age, he didn't do too bad.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »
I grew up watching Cronkite - I was 12 when he retired from CBS.   Rest in peace. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »
Once he left his job as chief editorialist network anchor for CBS, didn't he become rather infamous for condemning US actions, US policies, US government, US values, etc., even going so far as to say the US would have to give up sovereignty?

Oh, yeah, he did, during a world government speech:

One clip (comment is at about 4:58 time mark.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDQAgPjv94M
He was also quoted as opposing the Vietnam War.  I thought he said he was actively trying to turn public opinion against it as a news anchor. 

He was before my time.  I don't have any beef with him.  I just don't see him as some great icon, at least not for me.  That was back in the days when people had fewer choices on where they got their news from and didn't realize what they were missing.

Rest in Peace.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:19:14 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
He was before my time.  I don't have any beef with him.  I just don't see him as some great icon, at least not for me. 
Rest in Peace.

Icon is the word.  To give you an idea, when President Johnson decided not to run for re-election, he supposedly cited criticism from Cronkite as a deciding factor.   "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America"
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »
He was the Founding Father of leftist media bias...glad to see him retire from TV...sad to hear of his death....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »
He was the Founding Father of leftist media bias...glad to see him retire from TV...sad to hear of his death....

This. Except, not so sad...

We all die.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
He would sign off the news cast with "And that's the way it is . . . " to which my father would inevitably respond, "No, that's the way you say it is."  Dad was waaay ahead of his time.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »
Birmingham, AL in the sixties didn't even GET Cronkite.  We had 2 VHF stations, one ABC, one ran CBS and NBC programming.  I grew up on the Huntly-Brinkley report.  "Good night, Chet."  "Good night, David, and good night from NBC news."

Cronkite, as sooooo many other on-air newsies do, desperately wanted to be an opinion shaper, not a a reporter.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 01:15:58 AM »
Walter Cronkite was probably the first recognizable face and voice I remember growing up and according to my mother one of my first words. He was the face of the CBS network and the space program during it's glory days.

As I got older I disagreed with some of his liberal views, but I could still sit and watch him anchor the evening news and feel like I had been informed rather than indoctrinated. Nowadays I'm tempted to shoot my tv regardless of which network news is on.

RIP Mr. Cronkite. You were there in our living rooms with us during some very trying times and some very proud moments  feeling the same things we were feeling.

Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.