Author Topic: A Local Rocket Launch for Interested Northwest Folks  (Read 15321 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
A Local Rocket Launch for Interested Northwest Folks
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:54:23 PM »
For any interested folks in the Pacific Northwest, OregonRocketry will be holding a rocket launch near Sheridan, Oregon, the weekend of Sept. 12-13.
All classes of rockets will be flown, from the small model rockets all the way up to high power sport rockets on 'J' and 'K' motors.  There may be a sprinkling of heavier rockets on 'L' and 'M' motors, as well.

It is open to the public, and the public may fly their rockets for a small daily launch fee, $10 per day, or $15 for the weekend.

See the OregonRocketry website for details and maps to the Sheridan launch site.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: A Local Rocket Launch for Interested Northwest Folks
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:28:29 AM »
A little too far away, I think.

I recently got back into model rockets when my grandson visited and I built a few Estes rockets because it is something he really enjoys (me too).  Among others, I built a Stormcaster, a particularly handsome rocket.

Right now I'm building an Apogee Aspire.  This is a $20 rocket that, with the right F-motor, will exceed 1 mile in altitude.  With the right G-motor, will exceed the speed of sound (800 to 900 MPH).

Of course, I also took him shooting at a local range, another activity he really enjoys.  It was his first time shooting a 9mm (my Beretta 92FS).  He was a bit intimidated at first (he usually shoots .22 at the range), but I gradually coaxed him into it, and after his first shot it was blam-blam-blam-blam ...  =D

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:46:55 AM »
That sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna try and keep that open in my calender. Might be pretty cool for the kiddo.
Hi.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:20:34 AM »
That sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna try and keep that open in my calender. Might be pretty cool for the kiddo.

I'm planning on Saturday, myself.  If you decide to go that day, follow me up.  I know a short cut.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 03:20:57 AM »
In the September 2009 issue of Popular Mechanics, page 81, there is a photo and description of a 1:10 scale model of a Saturn V rocket some guy in Ohio built.  It is 36 feet tall, weighs 1648 pounds, and flew 4441 feet in altitude on eight N-Class motors and one P-Class motor.   :cool:

Some people just have way too much free time.   :lol:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:22:28 AM »

...I also took him shooting at a local range, another activity he really enjoys.  It was his first time shooting a 9mm (my Beretta 92FS).  He was a bit intimidated at first (he usually shoots .22 at the range), but I gradually coaxed him into it, and after his first shot it was blam-blam-blam-blam ...  =D

Sounds like he's thoroughly hooked.  :)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 03:25:46 AM »
In the September 2009 issue of Popular Mechanics, page 81, there is a photo and description of a 1:10 scale model of a Saturn V rocket some guy in Ohio built.  It is 36 feet tall, weighs 1648 pounds, and flew 4441 feet in altitude on eight N-Class motors and one P-Class motor.   :cool:

Some people just have way too much free time.   :lol:

This guy

Flight is here

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:55:23 AM »
 :O :O :O

That's incredible !  Even landed upright, ready to launch again.   =D

Never mind about the Popular Mechanics article ...   :lol:

agricola

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:01:02 AM »
This guy

Flight is here

I love the cars driving past in the background, you can just imagine the reaction when that thing went off.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:19 AM »
:O :O :O

That's incredible !  Even landed upright, ready to launch again.   =D

That was pretty slick, wasn't it?

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 10:17:58 AM »
I wonder if the builder is considering riding in it himself ?  It is clearly big enough for him to fit inside, and it already weighs 1600 lbs, so his body weight would only add another 10%.  Probably less risky than Evel Knievel's launch across the canyon, assuming he could handle the 7 Gs of acceleration.

But I wouldn't want to try it.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:19:48 AM »
I love the cars driving past in the background, you can just imagine the reaction when that thing went off.

Maybe the builder can design the next one to look like an ICBM.   =D

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 10:52:20 AM »
It is open to the public, and the public may fly their rockets for a small daily launch fee, $10 per day, or $15 for the weekend.

I keep meaning to get out and try my FlisKits Corona with the booster, but without the booster on a B6 I nearly lost it last time.  I need a day when it's either truly dead calm or a very gentle wind along the long direction of our land.  Even on a pair of Bs the lateral travel expected in a 5mph wind is a few hundred yards.

I've also got a 24mm I've been building as an oversized camera payloader loosely based on the Corona, but after i got it far enough along to figure the actual weight, I found that nothing less than a D12 will get it off the pad fast enough to be stable, (and that to barely enough altitude to call it "flight") even with the lightest camera/battery/storage setup I've seen.  I'll probably hold off finishing it until I get around to ordering a 24mm reloadable setup for more punch.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
Not familiar with the Corona, but if it uses a parachute for recovery can you use a smaller chute or a streamer ?  I assume if you're using a B6 that it is a fairly light rocket.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
Estes makes a single-use black powder 24mm 'E' motor.  Would that have enough kick to get your camera rocket off the pad fast enough to be stable KD5NRH?
Or, use a longer launch rod, so the rocket is going faster when it leaves the rod.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
Maybe the builder can design the next one to look like an ICBM.   =D

I am sure most people can't recognize brands of ICBMs on site and wouldn't know the difference - nor do they know precisely what size an ICBM should be. They's just see a HUEG ROCKET taking off and be reasonably freaked out.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
Mrs. AD and I are planning on being there on Saturday....  Should be a lot of fun.  I may have to bring out my rockets to play...  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
I wonder if the builder is considering riding in it himself ?

That is a serious no-can-do in the model rocketry realm.  Technically, you cannot fly any living creature.  It is a violation of both the NAR and Tripoli safety codes.  (Except maybe, you could fly fistful. =D)

That said, someone, somewhere, will probably fly in his own rocket someday, safety regs be danged.  :)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:27 PM »
That is a serious no-can-do in the model rocketry realm.

Wouldn't that just be the point where you'd drop "model" from model rocketry? =)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
Wouldn't that just be the point where you'd drop "model" from model rocketry?

It actually brings it into another area of FAA regulations, outside of the part of FAR101 that governs model and amateur rocketry.  I imagine there are a lot of other .gov regulations that come into play, as well.  Not a simple undertaking.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
That sounded AWESOME. :O

Also, if anyone was seriously interested, look here: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/licenses_permits/

Don't ask why I had that page bookmarked.  :angel:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 10:51:50 PM »
Not familiar with the Corona, but if it uses a parachute for recovery can you use a smaller chute or a streamer ?  I assume if you're using a B6 that it is a fairly light rocket.

Light, but a tad delicate:
http://www.fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/corona.htm
Mine on the pad:

It came down pretty hard with the original chute with a slightly oversized cutout.  If I could be sure it would end up in the grass, I could probably let it land a bit faster, but there are a lot of hard-packed spots that the rockets seem to aim for.

Quote from: RocketMan
Estes makes a single-use black powder 24mm 'E' motor.  Would that have enough kick to get your camera rocket off the pad fast enough to be stable KD5NRH?
Or, use a longer launch rod, so the rocket is going faster when it leaves the rod.

It might.  IIRC, my calculations assumed going up to a 6ft rod rather than the 3ft I've been using.  Rail lugs wouldn't work for this one, since the lower launch lug will have to be inside the fin ring, but not directly against the rocket's body, so that the upper one can be on the payload section.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 11:05:29 PM »
I am sure most people can't recognize brands of ICBMs on site and wouldn't know the difference - nor do they know precisely what size an ICBM should be. They's just see a HUEG ROCKET taking off and be reasonably freaked out.

I'm sure you're right.  However, I was punctuating the humorous insight advanced by Mr. Cola more than making a serious suggestion. 

I suppose if we really want to impress (terrify) the uninitiated, we could write "ICBM" in large letters on the side.  Of course, the viewers pretty much have to read it before it launches.   :laugh:

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »

Why would that increase the velocity ?  That works with a firearm, because a longer barrel means the expanding gases are pushing (accelerating) the bullet for a longer time before it leaves the barrel, but the longer rod doesn't result in the motor pushing for a longer duration.  The only advantage I see of the longer rod is increased stability (and THAT would increase speed a bit, I suppose) and greater directional control as it leaves the launch pad.  I would think the longer rod would result in more friction.

I'm probably wrong, but here's my chance to learn why.   =)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »

That said, someone, somewhere, will probably fly in his own rocket someday, safety regs be danged.  :)
No kidding.  Besides the safety risk, why on earth wouldn't you? 

As far as risk goes, people fly ultralights and hang gliders and such all the time.  A well-designed rocket can't be much more dangerous than that.