Author Topic: Had a great haircut today...  (Read 4431 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Had a great haircut today...
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »
...at the barber I have been using for almost four years.  I've never had my hair cut by the owner before.  It's always been one of the other barbers, including his sons when they've worked there.
Today, the owner cut my hair for the first time.  He did a good job, a good basic haircut.  But what really made it special is that the man is a real Garand fan.  He owns eleven of them.  You can imagine the direction our conversation took.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: Had a great haircut today...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:39:47 PM »
Neat.

Reminds me of the time I went to a nearby barbershop. It was owned by an old Italian man who was cutting hair. The old woman who cut mine spoke Italian with an accent and talked with a very soft voice. It was completely awesome! They even had a CD with some baritone singing in Italian going on in the background.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
The guy IU use is pretty good. Not great, but good. It has been about 6 years since I had a great haircut. What shop is it, Rocketman? I might check it out next year, since I have stopped getting my hair cut for winter.
Hi.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:42:11 PM »
One advantage to shaving my head every morning in the shower is saving the money I used to spend on haircuts.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »
PM inbound, Fjolnirsson.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
Neat.

Reminds me of the time I went to a nearby barbershop. It was owned by an old Italian man who was cutting hair. The old woman who cut mine spoke Italian with an accent and talked with a very soft voice. It was completely awesome! They even had a CD with some baritone singing in Italian going on in the background.

That sounds like a pretty nice place, FL.  Were you able to get your hair cut there often, or just the one time?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
Every 2-3 weeks I head to the barber for a trim.  10 bucks gets me a damn fine cut, eyebrow trim, strait razor shave to the side burns around the ears and back of the neck, and a nice tonic splash. 

I could probably buy a pair of clippers and buzz myself, but I rather enjoy the barber shop.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »
As much as I miss the barber shop, it's cheaper to cut my own hair (and cut my SO's while I'm at it - her haircuts were $40/ea!!)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »
I spend $15 w/tip at the local chain haircut place at least once a month. Maybe I'm a cheapskate but I wish I could get out of that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »
One of the early warning signs of getting old is talking about a great haircut.  Next month it'll be about a great bowel movement...
 :laugh:

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 12:45:07 AM »
One of the early warning signs of getting old is talking about a great haircut.  Next month it'll be about a great bowel movement... :laugh:

Damn, I had one of them today, too...  =|

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 02:29:17 AM »
My wife cuts mine.

It's a pretty easy job.  The sides are one length, and the top is one notch longer.  Both are fairly short.

The basic equipment cost about $20.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
My wife cuts mine.

It's a pretty easy job.  The sides are one length, and the top is one notch longer.  Both are fairly short.

The basic equipment cost about $20.

Same here, but I do it myself.  I tried for much of my youth to have a hairstyle, but it was impossible.  Picture some old Beatles photographs with their hair laying flat on their heads.  That's what mine would do, if I grew it out.  A half can of hairspray might hold something resembling a style for about an hour (yes, I used to do that in junior high).  I got tired of it one day and shaved it all off.  Been doing that once a week ever since. I haven't paid for a haircut in 20 years.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »
A haircut for me equals digging out the trimmer for a few minutes of work most of the time.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 01:08:58 AM »
One of the early warning signs of getting old is talking about a great haircut.  Next month it'll be about a great bowel movement...
 :laugh:

Hell, no, don't call me old.  I'm 27 and there is little in life that is more relaxing.  Up there with a good long back rub from my wife :)

I drive thirty miles to visit the same barber shop I've been going to for ten years or so - none of the chain shops near me provide a straight-razor sideburns/neck trim, etc.  $17 including tip, every six weeks or so, is worth it to me.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 02:12:38 AM »
I'm 27 and there is little in life that is more relaxing.  Up there with a good long back rub from my wife
You should try sitting in the sun while drinking lemonade and reading Machiavelli.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 02:28:17 AM »
I need to get my hair trimmed but I don't want to spend the money on it. Maybe I can find a friend to do it for me.

Usually get it done every couple of months.
Look, tiny text!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »
Ha! You guys aren't old. Do they spend a few minutes on your nose, ear and eyebrow hairs?

Whippersnappers... =D

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
Why trim long nostril hairs when they add color to the gray hairs of one's moustache?

Same thing for ear hair - if left to grow, one can do a comb-over eventually...    =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »
A haircut for me equals digging out the trimmer for a few minutes of work most of the time.

Yep, I just used to scrub my head with electric clippers and the #2 guard. Now I'm down to the #1 guard.

During my teens, I used to go to this place downtown run by two sisters. One sort of looked like Vanna White, and the other looked like Ashley Judd with glasses...

LOTS of shoulder-boob and armrest leaning...  =D
I promise not to duck.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »
Yep, I just used to scrub my head with electric clippers and the #2 guard. Now I'm down to the #1 guard.

During my teens, I used to go to this place downtown run by two sisters. One sort of looked like Vanna White, and the other looked like Ashley Judd with glasses...

LOTS of shoulder-boob and armrest leaning...  =D

Um, er, ah would you happen to have the address for this place available? Asking for a friend, you see.

Yeah, that's it...a friend.  :angel:

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »
Let's keep it PG or better, folks.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »
I go to a local stand alone shop.  They do a good job and it costs me 17 bucks about every other month.  When I lived up on the frozen tundra, long nose hairs made neat icecicles.  As far as a good BM goes, has anyone tried those Fiber One bars?  They are great gas generators and really clean out the pipes........chris3