Author Topic: Damn spiders  (Read 18288 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Damn spiders
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »
Damn bugs.  Not much I can do now but self-treat.  Found a spider bite on my back Sunday morning.  By the evening I had full body pain like someone worked me over with a baseball bat, diarrhea, stomach cramps, chest pain, all the symptoms. 
A little research shows doc won't do anything unless they can identify the offending critter.  That does make sense, as the antivenins are critter-specific.
Aspirin won't touch the pain, but acetaminophen does a good job.  Imodium-AD won't touch the diarrhea.  Lots of time spent on the porcelain throne.  Fortunately, there was no necrosis at the site of the bite.  Unusual, but not unheard of.
Damn bugs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Damn spiders
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
If only I could have found the little turd, AJ.   :cool:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
Seems a little one isn't what you should be worried about at the moment, RM...  ;)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »
I didn't even know you could buy blue lasers.  [popcorn]

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:02:57 AM »
Take a tablespoon of honeycomb three times a day - or more - won't hurt. I always like to fight bugs with bugs.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 07:25:02 AM »
Woke up this morning feeling much better.  The body pain is finally gone, the stomach cramps and chest pain has subsided, and I can walk a straight line.  The diarrhea is still an unknown because the Imodium-AD finally kinda sorta kicked in.
Damn spiders.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:30 AM »
for the future bouts of diareah  :P :

BRAT = Bananas / Rice / Applesauce / Toast. Better than chemicals  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
BRAT = Bananas / Rice / Applesauce / Toast. Better than chemicals  ;)

Caveat:  Applesauce without added sugar/hfcs is best.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
I know your pain brother. I was bitten by a black widow once, which you're apparently supposed to go to the doctor for. I didn't, and went through the same symptoms as you for a couple of days. Not fun.

A second time I was bit by an unknown spider that was in a pair of rubber boots that I had stored in a shed and hadn't worn for a while. I stupidly stuck my foot in without shaking the boot out first. I felt a pretty painful sting on the top/side of my foot and when I pulled it out there was something brown, squished, and vaguely spider shaped. My foot swelled up like crazy and turned all kinds of blacks, browns, reds, and greens. Went to the doctor on that one and he put me on antibiotics and some kind of special cream to "keep my skin from falling off" or something like that. I remember my foot looked pretty gangrenous for nearly a month.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
That sounds like a brown recluse like we have down here.  I've heard the venom destroys the tissue and can take a while to heal up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
We found this little guy in camp during a southern Illinois backpack trip, juvenile male Black Widow.

I always shake out my boots and clothes before putting them on when backpacking now  :O

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
Caveat:  Applesauce without added sugar/hfcs is best.
good to know!  =D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
That sounds like a brown recluse like we have down here.  I've heard the venom destroys the tissue and can take a while to heal up.

This happened on my folks' farm, which is apparently in a recluse area. The doctor thought that was what it might be, but there was not enough left of the spider after the "revenge of my foot" to tell what it was. :)

I'm just disappointed that after two serious spider bites I didn't pick up any Spidy-powers.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:08 AM »
This happened on my folks' farm, which is apparently in a recluse area. The doctor thought that was what it might be, but there was not enough left of the spider after the "revenge of my foot" to tell what it was. :)

I'm just disappointed that after two serious spider bites I didn't pick up any Spidy-powers.  :laugh:

Those were normal spiders, you need to find the radioactive ones.
Look, tiny text!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
Damn, beat me to it.

You can find those at night. just look for glowing spiders. You'll probably find them arounf uranium deposits. Just find a trail of glowing ants, follow them to the uranium and look around for the glowy spiders. Piece of cake.  ;)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
I'll just leave this here.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »

Spider orgy.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »

I just thought I would tell you that I hate you so much right now.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
I just thought I would tell you that I hate you so much right now.
  =D
What's that you say, you want some more?
How about this fine Australian specimen, the Golden Orb Weaver:

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
I promise not to duck.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Guess I asked for that.  Oops.  :'(
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »
 =D

The national zoo has a couple of those. No glass seperating the people from them as the spiders can't really move except on their web.

My wife wasn't sure they were real until I blew on the web and they moved. (The zoo workers nearby were not too pleased by that, btw.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
When faced with the spider hordes.....

Flame tank. Accept no substitute.

Image courtesy of: USMC Vietnam Tankers Association

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
  =D

Guhyeeeeeeah! **** me running!  My goosebumps got them a case of the heebie-jeebies.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton