Author Topic: Evidence of Extraterrestrial Microbial Life Found?  (Read 1163 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Evidence of Extraterrestrial Microbial Life Found?
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
Fox News is reporting that a NASA scientist has found fossil evidence of microbial life in meteorites.  The story is here.  The paper published in the Journal of Cosmology is here.

We've been down this road before, with claims of fossil microorganisms in meteorites found in Antartica that were thought to have come from Mars.  Those findings from a team led by David McKay of NASA's Johnson Space Center are still quite controversial.

The new claims made were made by Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist with NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, and are sure to shake things up a bit (a definite understatement if the study is found to be accurate).  The Journal of Cosmology has some well credentialed people on board, and they have called for heavy peer review of the paper and its claims.
What is the take on the subject here at APS?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Evidence of Extraterrestrial Microbial Life Found?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
Boy, oh boy, I am going to be following this one closely.  Although I have not read the paper, only the linked article, at first blush, his methodology to ensure a fresh sample free of Terrestrial contamination seems promising. The real issue here is if his microscopy findings are explicable only by fossilized biological activity as opposed to chemical or other physical processes. I remember well the ongoing controversy over the Antarctica meteorites on this very issue. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
The implications are that life is everywhere, and that life on Earth may have come from other planets.

I'm not a rocket scientist, and trying better to understand.  Why is that is such a big deal if proven to be true?  Is it a religious debacle about where life was first created or something?  I think that most lay people assume there is some type of life, somewhere, in the infinity of space...and the Pope already covered his butt on this. A splash of stray bacteria does not invalidate the creation story.   Or, is it that it contradicts the existing body of scientific opinion?     

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I read that book...  it was an NSA plot using a planted rock!   [tinfoil]

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:52:21 PM »
I'm not a rocket scientist, and trying better to understand.  Why is that is such a big deal if proven to be true?  Is it a religious debacle about where life was first created or something?  I think that most lay people assume there is some type of life, somewhere, in the infinity of space...and the Pope already covered his butt on this. A splash of stray bacteria does not invalidate the creation story.   Or, is it that it contradicts the existing body of scientific opinion?     

I wonder this myself.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »

I think there is life outside the Earth as well, but I will be excited to see the first confirmed evidence of this.  I see it as data to prove the hypothesis of Extraterrestrial life.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
 I like to think of myself as a Christian ( or a catho-holic with no church ) except for the past 5 or 6 yrs have not attended any services and only have done foxhole type of praying, nonetheless a Christian.

I've always thought that life on earth is a result of microbes somehow reaching the earth from a meteor or something.
Even if it turns out that the earth was seeded a few billion yrs ago by some "alien" beings I still believe God created the universes (s) .

I hope the rock does have proof of "alien" life.

I am keeping my powder dry though because if all you city folk become pod people I may have to go into shtf mode. :laugh:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »
I am keeping my powder dry though because if all you city folk become pod people I may have to go into shtf mode. :laugh:

Muwhahahahaha!  Your guns won't help you!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.