Author Topic: Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5  (Read 3060 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5
« on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »
Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5
http://www.vikingtactics.com/instruction.html
Held at Pelham Fish and Game, Pelham, NH June 10-12.

Instructors: Kyle Lamb, owner and chief instructor, retired from US Army (SGM) and Special Forces.  Dan Brokos, assistant instructor, active duty US Army Special Forces.

My gear:
Rifle – Home built SBR with Wilson trigger, BCM barrel and upper, Bushmaster lower, LaRue rail, Aimpoint T-1, Blue Force Gear sling.
Pistol – S&W M&P with Apex sear and internal parts, 10-8 rear sight, tritium front.
Battle Belt – Tactical Tailor, FAST mag pouches for AR, two pistol mags, dump pouch, Safariland pistol holster.

Day 1
Weather: perfect.  75 degrees with some sun and plenty of shade.

We spent the first part getting confirmed zeros on our rifles.  Most of us were already prepared, but some people needed lots of time to get there.   Then we moved on to positional shooting from standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone.  We fired 10-round strings from each position for accuracy and time to verify that our positions were steady and useful.   We then moved on to turning drills.  We learned the proper technique for turning 90 degrees left and right and 180 degrees left and right to get the rifle on target quickly and be in a stable firing platform.  It isn’t difficult, but we had 24 students in this class, so getting it done safely was very important.  After the lunch break we worked on driving the rifle different zones on the target and between the targets while still getting hits.  Shooting fast is easy, but driving the gun to the target is when the fight is won or lost. 
Day 1 ended with one of the many drills that were scored for time and accuracy.  All of the drills were scored as “Hero or Zero,” which means any shot outside the scoring area results in a zero for that run.  We shot the 2x2x2 drill.  Three targets were lined up side by side about 10 yards away.  On the start signal, fire two shots on the center target and then two shots on each side target.  To get a good time, one must drive the rifle from target to target quickly which allows a more time to get a proper sight picture to ensure good hits.  My best time was 1.75 seconds.  Kyle and Dan did it in about  1.40.

Day 2
Weather: sucky.  Chilly and lots of rain.

The weather sucked, but Mike Nastek of Pelham Fish and Game was prepared.  He had already set-up a bunch of tents, awning, and tables to keep our gear mostly dry.  He also had plenty of water and other niceties on hand.  In short, this was the best-prepared course I’ve attended.
The morning session was focused on malfunctions, transitioning to pistols, and shooting on the move.  We also incorporated transferring the rifle to the off-side shoulder.  The rifle transfer involved a different technique than what I normally used, so I had some habits to break, but after practice I think this technique is better than what I learned.  The pistol transitions were straight-forward and I had no trouble with those.  During our informal drills, I was often the first one putting hits on the target.  The highlight of the morning session was the lecture on malfunctions and how to clear them.  Many instructors teach the malfunctions by type, such as Type 1, Type 2, etc.  Kyle Lamb teaches them by the order of the firing cycle of the rifle.  We talked through all the steps of the firing cycle and what could go wrong at each step.  Then we discussed how to clear the stoppage that occurred and why this particular method works better than others.  At the end of the discussion, I had a much clearer understanding of the how and why of malfunction clearances.  This proved useful in the next drill.
After we had learned a new procedure we drilled on it to help us learn, and the malfunction lecture was no different in theory.  The practice though was quite fun.  Many courses have the students set-up their own malfunction in their own rifle and then clear it.  Viking Tactics’ technique is much more interesting, entertaining, and memorable.  We broke up into 8 groups of 3 students.  We went up to the 10 yard line and left our rifles and two loaded mags there then went back to the awnings and waited.  Kyle and Dan went down the line and installed different stoppages into each rifle, but all of the kind we had just discussed.  On command, one student would run up to the groups of rifles and clear them one at a time firing a few rounds after each one.  While this was happening, Dan and Kyle were offering encouragement to do it faster.  Encouragement could mean hints and tips if a student was having trouble, or it could mean pushing and pulling on the more “colorful” students.  It was all in good fun and no one was hurt physically or emotionally.   My friend, Gregg, has a PWS muzzle brake on his rifle.  It is loud and uncomfortable to stand next to when Gregg is shooting.  Kyle Lamb didn’t like it either, he doesn’t like brakes in general, so when Gregg was clearing the malfunction on one rifle, Kyle grabbed Gregg’s rifle and fired off a bunch of rounds right next to Gregg.  Kyle then laughingly yelled, “How’s that feel!”  After that drill, two students would insert more malfunctions into the three rifles while the third student waited.  When ready, the third student would run up and clear the rifles while the other two watched.  It was a good exercise in learning how to clear the malfunctions.

Day 2 ended with the 1-5 Drill.  Three targets were set side-by-side.  On the start signal, fire 1 shot into the left target, 2 shots into the center target, 3 shots into the right target, 4 shots into the center target, and 5 shots into the left target.  This can be done twice with a 30-round magazine, which is why this drill is also called the $7 Drill, since it is an expensive drill to run.  The drill tests shooting position, target transitions, driving the rifle, and ability to firing multiple hits quickly.  My best time was about 5 seconds.  I could have done much better if my good trigger hadn’t broken earlier in the day.  Dan and Kyle were shooting it in about 3 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCpOt9xVy4&feature=fvwrel

Day 3
Weather: Still chilly, but no rain.  We did have a nice lake at the 50 yard line.

This last day was focused on positions that can be used around barricades and actual shooting around barricades.  It also included two great drills that were real leg-burners.
As with all of VTacs techniques, Kyle and Dan explained why these positions work, other options that also work, and how having certain gear on your rifle can help or hinder you.  One position that is very effective, despite its name, is Brokeback Prone.  It is very useful when taking cover behind small objects such as a wheel, but it still allows a person to get up and move quickly if necessary.  Other positions discussed were kneeling (around barricades – which is different than on open ground), supine, and SBU prone, which is used to shoot over low cover.

After discussing the pros and cons of each we were given plenty of time to try each position ourselves to see how it works.  After that, we brought 12 pieces of props out to use to practice with.  There were low walls, tall walls, the VTac wall, and barrels.  After some time spent practicing with those, we moved on to the first drill, the Catch Up!    The drill starts with the first person in line on the left side of the first prop.  He fires until he hits one steel target, then moves to the right side of the same barrier and fires to hit one steel target.  He then moves to the next barricade in line and repeats firing from each side to hit one steel plate and works his way down the line of props.  As soon as the first shooter moves to the second barrier, the next person in line moves to the first barrier and starts the same process.  Soon, all 12 barriers have people shooting from behind them.   The trick is to “Catch Up” to the person in front of you and not get caught by the person behind you.  If caught, you have to stop the exercise and get back in line to try again.  And all of this shooting is done from kneeling.  All that kneeling, standing, moving, kneeling really gets you huffing and puffing by the half-way point.  It was loads of fun.
The final test of the day also involved lots of props and steel plates.  Starting at the 40 yard line, with the muzzle of your rifle touching an orange cone, at the start fire one hit on steel while standing, then move to the VTac wall.  Fire through three different holes onto two different plates from each hole.  Move to the barrels and fire Brokeback from each side, and each shoulder, onto two different plates.  Move to the tunnel and fire from any position you can, from both shoulder, onto two different steel plates.  Leave the tunnel, run to a half of a concrete block and hit one steel plate while standing on the block.  Finally, run to the other Vtac wall and fire through three different ports and two different steel targets from each port.  It wasn’t very aerobically challenging, but some of those holes in the VTac wall were difficult to shoot through.  It was an absolute blast to shoot it and watch others shoot it.

At the end of the course, the top 5 shooters were announced.  The top shooter was awarded a Surefire backpack, but everyone was given lots of freebies.

Troy Industries really gave us lots of stuff.  They bought lunch for everyone for all three days.  That was a great help, since it left us with left to have to worry about or deal with.  On day 1, Troy gave everyone three brand-new Battle Mags to use and keep.  These are just hitting the market, so it was very nice of them to just give them away.  Troy also gave us a goody bag with a t-shirt, patches and stickers in it.  Those guys make good gear and they are great supporters of the shooting world.

http://troyind.com/

Viking Tactics also gave us a bunch of goodies, as did their business partners, Surefire and Leupold.

Overall, it was the best course I have ever taken.  I didn’t learn too many new and exciting techniques, but I was able to fine-tune what I do know, and I had a great time doing it.  At other classes on the last day, I was looking forward to going home.  At the Carbine 1.5 course, I wanted to stay longer and keep learning and shooting even though I was physically tired.   The simple fact that Kyle and Dan treated us well and made the class fun was enough for me to want to attend more of their classes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
Re: Viking Tactics Carbine 1.5
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:32:59 PM by Fly320s »

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
Me shooting the 2x2x2 drill

Times: 1.99, 2.01, 1.75

I'll find a better host.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:33:33 PM by Fly320s »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
Your photos are posting with your initials and last name (I assume). Don't know if you want that kind of openness on the open net.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
Thanks for that write-up! Sounds like it was a great (and fun) course and a good physical workout as well. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:33:27 AM »
Yes on all counts. My legs finally recovered.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
I was also surprised at the number of students in the class. Is that pretty standard for Viking classes? The couple of courses I've now been to were 10 or less, and I was thinking about how long it would take to get 24 through what we did. But from your account it sounds like everything but the initial rifle sighting went pretty darn efficiently. I reckon Viking knows what they're doing though, and it sounds like the class was for students who knew their way around the firearms. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Viking tactics, and they taught you nothing about  pillaging, raping or burning stuff? [popcorn]

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
It was my first VTAC class, so I don't know if that class size is normal. It seemed too big to me. We mostly did the drills in relays, which made it easier for Kyle and Dan to watch us.

The class is designed for people with some carbine experience, but several people in the class were new to the AR. They did fine.

Viking tactics, and they taught you nothing about  pillaging, raping or burning stuff? [popcorn]

That is the advanced class.