Author Topic: Cordless/Rechargeable Weed Whackers & Edger Dealies  (Read 2944 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Cordless/Rechargeable Weed Whackers & Edger Dealies
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »
Howdy:

Anybody have experience with these critters, yet?  If so, what's the verdict?  I would use it on a relatively small lawn.  Rechargeable batteries would be more convenient than gas mix.  If it works worth a darn.  I won't use a corded model.

I'm in the market since my weed whacker / multi-tool engine pod just gave out and I need a new one(1).  It was the usual semi-disposable deal from HomeDepotLowes.

Three weeks / mows out of the month are done with my man-powered reel mower and once per month I drag out my 5.5HP mower for the super choppy powers when I trim my bushes and mulch the trimming into the lawn.  I'd like to have something I could use to trim up that did not require IC engine PITA for trimming/edging chores.

(1) Or, an interest in rebuilding 2-stroke engines.  Don't hold your breath.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Cordless/Rechargeable Weed Whackers & Edger Dealies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:58:49 AM »
I know it's not a rechargable...but I've got the Ryobi Expand-it....very dependable and powerful...and versatile as all-get-out.....

http://www.homedepot.com/Ryobi/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1aw/R-100663202/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:54:38 AM »
It depends on your needs.  I have an 18v Black & Decker wheed whacker.  I can't edge everything I have with the two batteries it came with, but it does a reasonable job.  You won't get anywhere near the power you do from even the lightest gas engine, so be prepared for that.  I'm going to supplement mine with a couple more batteries and an extra charger this year.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »
We own two. The WorX and the Ryobi 18+1 version.

The WorX is better for edging. They just released a lithium version. Older style batteries sucked. Ryobi is more powerful but is difficult to use as an edger. The WorX has a dual guide wheel for edging. Works really good.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
I've got the B&D weed whacker too (not an edger).  I like it for it's convienence, not cords, no gas.  The battery charge last longer than I thought it would.  Just a rough estimate, but I think I use it about a half hour or maybe 45 minutes at a time, and the only time the charge ran out is when I forgot to charge it afer the last use.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
We had one when we lived in Dallas, a B&D.  Get the small gas engine one, you'll be happier.
It just doesnt have the power to edge around sidewalks and driveways and then
trim around this house. 

I would have to get up early, trim around the house and fence line.  Recharge the batteries
and mow while that was happening.  Then finish the job after the charging.  Took almost all day.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
my cheapo 12V Black and Decker died this year.  With a reversible head, it was perfect for edging sidewalks, beds and such. I went with a Toro gas model this time, and kind of regret it.  You can cut a small tree down with it, but it's not that great for what I do....bad cutting angles for me.  I'm regretting not getting another B&D.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:13 AM »
I picked up a 4 stoke weed whacker last year. It sat all winter with Sta-Bil gas in it and started on the second pull.

Not much to rebuilding a 2 stroke. I rebuilt my Ryobi a couple of times. I think the piston and rings was about $25.00. If you can find the parts and you didn't hurt the bore, they are simple to work on.

Never had a cordless so I can't help there.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »
Cordless drill good, cordless lawn equipment bad.
You would probably be better off dragging and extension cord around if you don't want gas.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

erictank

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:54:04 PM »
Howdy:

Anybody have experience with these critters, yet?  If so, what's the verdict?  I would use it on a relatively small lawn.  Rechargeable batteries would be more convenient than gas mix.  If it works worth a darn.  I won't use a corded model.

I'm in the market since my weed whacker / multi-tool engine pod just gave out and I need a new one(1).  It was the usual semi-disposable deal from HomeDepotLowes.

Three weeks / mows out of the month are done with my man-powered reel mower and once per month I drag out my 5.5HP mower for the super choppy powers when I trim my bushes and mulch the trimming into the lawn.  I'd like to have something I could use to trim up that did not require IC engine PITA for trimming/edging chores.

(1) Or, an interest in rebuilding 2-stroke engines.  Don't hold your breath.

I used to have an 18V weedwhacker (Black & Decker model, can't remember the name), back when I lived in a townhouse.  We had a "lawn" about 10'x5' - and a battery charge would get me through "mowing" that lawn.

Concur with Never_Retreat - I like my corded weedeater much better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 06:16:47 PM »
Cordless drill good, cordless lawn equipment bad.
You would probably be better off dragging and extension cord around if you don't want gas.
Agreed.  I tried a cordless once and it was pretty under powered.  If you have any thing more than just a little grass, it won't cut it.  The power of a gas model is much greater.  
I have a Troy Built I believe.  I got the edger attachment which works adequately.  

IMO, you would be better off buying a 5 gallon container of grass and weed killer and soaking the area.  I have used it along the fence line and the house to keep the grass off and that works okay. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
Get a gas powered one.  I don't see how recharging batteries is any less of a hassle than using 2-cycle gas mix.  Oh and skip the Home Depot junk.  Get a Shindaiwa or a Redmax.  You can have a nice one in either brand for $300-$350.  It will last you the rest of your life if you're just mowing your own yard, and it will save you tons of time.  They are also powerful enough to maintain a nice edge with the trimmer line.  Edging attachments are available if you insist on it though.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/

http://www.redmax.com/node3928.aspx

Oh, and it's a grass trimmer, not a weed whacker.   :P

I told my brother this years ago, and he asked "What's the difference?"

I asked him "When you go to work, do you call a CAD workstation a calculatin' picture box?"

"No.  I get it.  This is a grass trimmer."   :lol:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:42:46 PM by Declaration Day »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
We run Echo 2-stroke weedeaters at work and they are very reliable for us, even after sitting all winter...I use a black and decker corded one at home to get the stuff against the house and don't weedeat anywhere else.

I *expletive deleted*ing HATE weedeating...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
When I put the 80 tooth watch your toes blade on it is a weed whacker.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 07:42:05 PM »
When I put the 80 tooth watch your toes blade on it is a weed whacker.

jim

Fair enough.  My condolences that your lawn is 100% weeds instead of grass.  :lol:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »
Fair enough.  My condolences that your lawn is 100% weeds instead of grass.  :lol:

I consider grass to be weeds. If I had the money, I'd concrete my whole yard, install astroturf and get a big lawn vac to clean it. Or just leave the concrete bare.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
If I had the money, I'd concrete my whole yard, install astroturf and get a big lawn vac to clean it. Or just leave the concrete bare.

Agreed, but if everyone else agreed too, I would be out of business.  :lol:

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »
Or just leave the concrete bare.

No class, paint it green...  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »

My working definition of a weed is something that's growing where you don't want it.  I don't want grass growing out into the sidewalk, driveway, or "garden" beds.  Hence, the grass I trim in those locations is in fact a weed.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 06:31:33 AM »
41% Glyphosate concentrate.
3 gallon pump up tank sprayer.
All you really need.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 06:49:23 AM »
I asked him "When you go to work, do you call a CAD workstation a calculatin' picture box?"

Yes.  But only because I don't want to confuse the engineers.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.