Author Topic: It's summer and the whining has begun  (Read 4836 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
It's summer and the whining has begun
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »
Quote from: Iain
Nowt is a northern thing - 'Bread with nowt taken out' is a famous slogan.
Naught?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 11:46:28 AM »
280 plus, maybe your figure is from one of the other european countries that got hit with that same heat wave. I recall grotesque figures reported from France and Spain.

As Ian pointed out you have to put a skeptical perspective on figures of deaths reported. While having 2,000 additional deaths amongst elderly and other medically sensitive people is relevant, you'll rarely see the same news hype following any such events that deaths amongst such people in the following months declined, because those teetering on the brink already died in the heat wave (or flu epidemic or whatever).
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 12:56:36 AM »
I watched for the same clip and it never came around exactly the same again. I'm thinking MAYBE they said 2,700 but I was still surprsied at the number given that those temps are not considered life threatening here in the US. I never realized Britain was so high up in the latitudes either. I always thought they were like directly east across the "pond" from where I am (CT). Here, for an official "heat wave", we need at least 3 days of 90*F + .
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 06:05:36 AM »
I'm in Georgia, at the moment.  2nd marriage; the BossLady & I each have our own micro-empires. Smiley  We're back and forth between South Jawgia and SW Tay-ux-ess.  Terlingua is hot and dry in the summer; Thomasville is very warm and humid.  Hey, summer in the south.

Age is a factor in heat tolerance.  I've noticed that during the last ten years, my onw tolerance is reduced.

Hey, if the Comanche Indians were smart enough to go north in the summer and south in the winter, it seems to me that they were at least as smart as birds.  Shame today's folks aren't even up to "bird-brain".

Cheesy, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 07:14:45 AM »
I drove through Quartzsite AZ last weekend on my way to Prescott.  112 F.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
Shame today's folks aren't even up to "bird-brain".
Waddaya mean? Why just the other day I followed a Cadillac with a Florida plate and a little white head just baaarrrely sticking up over the top of the steering wheel. It was doing about 20 in a 35. Oh, that would be a SNOW bird brain! Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 11:54:18 AM »
Can't take the heat at all.  Last time I was really sick, was a year ago on a boat in 100+ weather.

Cant wait for it to fall below 0 (thats -18C to you), and snow to pile up over my head though.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
Whining about the weather?  *snicker*  If we in Indiana were allowed that womanly pasttime, it is all we would do.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 12:22:28 PM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
Hey, if the Comanche Indians were smart enough to go north in the summer and south in the winter, it seems to me that they were at least as smart as birds.  Shame today's folks aren't even up to "bird-brain".Cheesy, Art
Even the Texas Indians who were permanent to the area spent their summer days moving really slow or sleeping, along the deep shade of the creek banks I'll bet.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 01:35:42 PM »
Send your weasley countrymen here.

I just finished (mostly) mowing the grass at my parent's house. Full sun, temperature in the high 80s, and humidity pretty much off the scale.

I feel like an old dishrag.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 01:48:09 PM »
I know that feeling. I hope you won't all think less of me if I admit to being somewhat prone to being a sweaty oik. That's my problem with hot weather, I have to peel clothes off, I stick to car seats and you can wring my shoes out. The nice thing is that this weather is so uncommon that I can largely refuse to engage in non-essential manual labour on the grounds that it is too darned hot.

It seems a shame to complain about weather we rarely experience at home, and often pay money to experience abroad.

On a totally different topic, I'm feeling proud of my contribution to the BBC Have Your Say debate on North Korea - 5th most recommended comment. This must mean that I kick ass.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 09:02:10 PM »
we finally saw rain yesterday at my house for the first time in 2 months. It rained earlier in the week a few miles away, and across the Metroplex (over in Foat Wuth) I heard it rained awhile back.

I think we're still down about a foot or so for the year. Not nearly as bad as Art, but hey, everybody knows Terlingua is in what passes for a Taumalipan/Sonoran desert.

We're mowing the lakes around here.

Of course, standard equipment on a bass boat in east Texas is a chainsaw and a an ATV.  No well-equipped one gets off the trailer without at least one of each. The chainsaw is to cut away the fallen trees and the ATV is to pull it through the rocky parts of the lake where the grass isn't slick enough for the boat to glide over.

Dallas has had several weeks of level orange ozone days, with humidity in the 80% range and temperatures in the mid 90's. I'm kinda used to it, though. I never trusted air I couldn't drink.  

Then there's Houston, where plastic rusts.
Dallas is only miserable. Houston is oppressive. Wouldn't live anywhere else for the world.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 04:19:00 AM »
First rain in Dallas in months???  WTF???

It did nothing but rain while I was down there!!!  Oh, well, perfect timing.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Pebcac

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2006, 07:40:03 AM »
This human dumpling's auto A/C is out, and I've been bumming a ride to work on occasion to avoid the Memphis heat and humidity.  I suppose the heat is helping me sweat off a few pounds, but I ain't diggin' it.  I get to fix my air next weekend as I will have gotten a paycheck by then, but, dammit, that was gonna be gun money!  Ah, well.  C'est la vie.  [/whine]  Wink
Problem exists between computer and chair.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2006, 04:04:02 PM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
we finally saw rain yesterday at my house for the first time in 2 months. It rained earlier in the week a few miles away, and across the Metroplex (over in Foat Wuth) I heard it rained awhile back.

I think we're still down about a foot or so for the year. Not nearly as bad as Art, but hey, everybody knows Terlingua is in what passes for a Taumalipan/Sonoran desert.

We're mowing the lakes around here.

Of course, standard equipment on a bass boat in east Texas is a chainsaw and a an ATV.  No well-equipped one gets off the trailer without at least one of each. The chainsaw is to cut away the fallen trees and the ATV is to pull it through the rocky parts of the lake where the grass isn't slick enough for the boat to glide over.

Dallas has had several weeks of level orange ozone days, with humidity in the 80% range and temperatures in the mid 90's. I'm kinda used to it, though. I never trusted air I couldn't drink.  

Then there's Houston, where plastic rusts.
Dallas is only miserable. Houston is oppressive. Wouldn't live anywhere else for the world.

Regards,
Rabbit.
We got two inches at the north end of cedar creek lake yesterday Cheesy
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2006, 07:24:41 AM »
Quote from: Pebcac
This human dumpling's auto A/C is out, and I've been bumming a ride to work on occasion to avoid the Memphis heat and humidity.  I suppose the heat is helping me sweat off a few pounds, but I ain't diggin' it.  I get to fix my air next weekend as I will have gotten a paycheck by then, but, dammit, that was gonna be gun money!  Ah, well.  C'est la vie.  [/whine]  Wink
I guess I don't know what the Memphis heat is like, but honestly I prefer windows to air.  About the only time the air gets used is going down the highway with other people in the car with me.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »
Memphis heat=imagine being locked in a trunk in downtown Detroit overnight in a carwash in August.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2006, 07:53:29 AM »
The heat and humidity finally broke here in Central Pennsylvania. The temperature/humidity went from about 93/70 on Tuesday to 80/40 yesterday. Today its a little more humid, but still not bad. Hell, last night it was actually kind of chilly, as the temperature dropped into the high 50s.

I'm schvitzing pretty heavily, though, as I just hung blinds on the side porch (sun BEATS into the living room during the afternoon if they're not up) and pruned the pear tree.

Now I'm going to start dinner, a special pot roast recipe.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »
Yeah, the TWO thunderstorms that came through here Monday night split up and passed east and west of Casa Del Fireant. I saw lots of nice lightning, but it was all dry within a mile radius of my house.  At least I had enough rain Tuesday to mess up the windshield while driving out to see the fireworks in Richardson.

I decided that instead of trying to please my neighbors and covertly water my lawn at 0300 like they do, I'll just wait, pave it and paint it green.  That way I can mow it with a leaf blower.

I don't think it got over 93 here today, either. Had a cold front move through last night.
Badger, you were simply in the right place at the right time. 3 miles east and you could have played sauna instead of worrying about your 'do getting wet.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
Yeah, the TWO thunderstorms that came through here Monday night split up and passed east and west of Casa Del Fireant. I saw lots of nice lightning, but it was all dry within a mile radius of my house.  At least I had enough rain Tuesday to mess up the windshield while driving out to see the fireworks in Richardson.

I decided that instead of trying to please my neighbors and covertly water my lawn at 0300 like they do, I'll just wait, pave it and paint it green.  That way I can mow it with a leaf blower.

I don't think it got over 93 here today, either. Had a cold front move through last night.
Badger, you were simply in the right place at the right time. 3 miles east and you could have played sauna instead of worrying about your 'do getting wet.

Regards,
Rabbit.
According to the guys on the "opie n anthony' show, that's popular in Italian neighborhoods back east. I'd never heard of it before I heard them joking about it.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Iain

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2006, 04:38:46 AM »
I'm digging this up because the complaining has begun again, and this time I'm inclined to more sympathy.

Monday - 30C - 29% humidity
Tuesday - 33C - 24% humidity
Wednesday - 33C - 26% humidity

That's the forecast, 33C is 91F. It's more than I can deal with, not because it's extreme but because it is unusual for the UK. I'm happiest when the temperature ranges between 5 and 25 degrees celsius. The fan is on and all I can think about is showering.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2006, 06:14:10 AM »
We're supposed to be getting a "heat wave" here on the East Coast.  High 90's for part of the week.  I don't mind the heat so much, it's actually one of the things I miss the most about Texas but the humidity right here is disgusting.  And yes, the people here are complaining as well.  Pansies.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2006, 08:43:49 AM »
Iain, is air conditioning common over there?  

Dannyboy, you've got to be kidding about missing the Texas heat.  But maybe you weren't in a uniform with long sleeves every day (especially the chemical-protective type).

In Saint Louis, we've had 99-101 degree highs for the past few days, with more on the way.  Might get a break on Friday, if there's a thunderstorm.  It has been uncharacteristically dry, though, here in the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:13 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Dannyboy, you've got to be kidding about missing the Texas heat.  But maybe you weren't in a uniform with long sleeves every day (especially the chemical-protective type).
Au contraire, mon frere.  My last 2 years in the Army were at Ft. Hood.  Then there was the 3+ years at Ft. Sill.  I love hot weather.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2006, 09:38:50 AM »
Workplaces are often air conditioned, well more up-scale establishments usually are. Shops, shopping centres, supermarkets are air-conditioned. A/C is very uncommon in homes though, really only a few days a year that justify it.