Author Topic: It's summer and the whining has begun  (Read 4834 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
It's summer and the whining has begun
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2006, 01:00:24 PM »
Dannyboy, the heat has gotten into your head.  Please seek therapy.  Smiley  I was 2-5 Cav.  You?

Iain, I guess we Yankie Doodles should be glad for British wimpiness in this regard - it worked to our advantage about 230 years ago.  Smiley  Didn't slow y'all down in India, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »
Jeez, last night it was still 96 deg at nine oclock. And we were happy about it!

I've heard dad talk about a time (before MY time) when they traveled through Death Valley during the dead of summer. He said the thermometer at the Furnace Creek ranch was hovering darn near 130. He said it was the same feeling you get when you open up your oven and get that hot blast of air in your face. Only it never ends - he said the low temp while they were there was around 100.

On the upside, swamp coolers work really, really well when the relative humidity is friggin' ZERO!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Iain

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 02:28:26 PM »
I'm about to drag a mattress downstairs and sleep on the floor in the lounge with the french windows open. Way too hot upstairs.

Hottest I've ever experienced was 40C in a Spanish desert. I'd taken my shoes off in the car, when we stopped I stepped out of the car onto the tarmac, and then right back into the car again. Amazing to watch the thermometer on that trip, out of the desert at 1500 when it was 40C and then off to Iruna where the early evening temperature was 15C.

Can't begin to imagine how people function above 40C or so, I'm a lazy sweaty sod at 32C.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »
Quote from: Iain
..Can't begin to imagine how people function above 40C or so, I'm a lazy sweaty sod at 32C.
Well I do it every night during the summer, at work, with 100% humity for short periods of time. I have 5 or 6 work stations that range from about 95 to 120 with 60-100% humidity and a control room which is about 60 degrees. After about 15 minutes in the 120 degree temps, the dryer 95 degree air is o.k. Usually I go to the control room and guzzle quarts of cold water and wait intil my soaking clothes have gotten me shivering before going back to work.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Dannyboy, the heat has gotten into your head.  Please seek therapy.  Smiley  I was 2-5 Cav.  You?
2-20 FA 4ID, other side of post.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I didn't really enjoy being in the field in 90-100 degree temps but it sure as hell beat being in the field in below freezing temps.  I look at it like this, I can walk into an air conditioned room/building/whatever and instantly FEEL better.  The same can't really be said for walking inside from the freezing cold.  You're still going to feel cold for a while.  That's how it works for me, anyway.  I friggin hate the cold...with a passion.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ron

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2006, 07:13:53 PM »
I hate both, high heat and temps below freezing. Not a good thing for a commercial HVAC guy, lol.

We had 97F today with a "feels like" heat factor of 110.

Spent ten hours on various roofs today repairing commercial a/c units.

Normally I don't like the heat but function fine, today was just a little too much. Measured 107 in the shade on one roof today. Lost my appetite and drank Gaterade all day. Ate this morning but that is it, just too dang hot to eat.

My house is cool, the a/c has been on for over a month now.

This line of work ruins the summer for me.

It is still 85 with 70% humidity at 11:15pm as I write.