Author Topic: If this is TRUE?  (Read 10768 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2006, 04:44:58 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Tallpine, what do you find objectionable, that God put a stop to a culture that practiced child sacrifice, and apparently a lot of other terrible things?  Or do you believe that God does not have the right to do as He will to His creatures, who kill themselves with their own folly?

Quote from: Tallpine
maybe they committed genocide and made up the part about god's command to justify it ...?
If they were ashamed of this genocide, why record it at all?
God can do whatever he wants - i just get suspicious when people say that god told them to kill somebody
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2006, 08:07:20 AM »
Did you see my earlier post?  

Quote from: fistful
Quote from: Tallpine
Sounds a lot like muslims killing the "infidels" to me...
Almost.  The jihadis would indeed be correct if God actually ordered them to kill infidels.  Yet even if we assume the jihadist, al-Qaeda view of the Koran is correct, Mohammed offerred no evidence of its veracity.  He claimed the Koran was miracle enough, even though writing a book is not a miracle.  Why believe it at all?

The Bible presents a story of men who could have no reasonable doubt that Moses and Joshua were not just saying whatever came into their heads.  The Israellites had spent forty years in the presence of constant miracles proving it.  Their clothing was miraculously preserved through decades of wandering in the desert.  They ate quail that just happened to flock in their campsite, time and time again.  They ate honest-to-goodness wonder-bread that formed on the ground every morning.  They were led by a pillar of fire in the sky at night.  They saw the face of Moses supernaturally shining after he spent time in the Tabernacle with God.  If al-Qaeda has that kind of evidence of the will of God, let them kill who they please.
A big difference between religious violence commanded by the Bible and that of the Koran, is that the Bible's wipe-em-all-out commands were clearly meant for a specific time and place, and the theocracy of the Israelites was clearly not carried over into the Christian dispensation.  The Koran, based on my limited reading of it, doesn't seem to have that sort of specificity.  Generally speaking, the Koran appears to be nothing more than "Allah says this, the Prophet said that," without all the narrative contained in the Bible.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2006, 08:11:42 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Quote from: mfree
fistful wrote:
  every human being is responsible for nailing Christ to the cross
Uhm, that's unconstitutional isn't it?
I am not sure how that comes about.  I know I wasnt there and no one asked me.
But if they had...

I'D DO IT AGAIN!!! BWAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Christ would forgive you...again.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...