Author Topic: TV remote problem?  (Read 2485 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:56:16 AM »
How can I tell if my TV remote has crapped out, or if it's a problem with the receiving unit in the TV itself?

I have an older Sanyo 32, and two days ago the remote stopped working. I changed the batteries, but that didn't make a bit of difference. I did get the TV to turn on once yesterday with the remote, but it wouldn't turn off, and nothing else was working.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
TV remote problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 08:00:28 AM »
Got digital or satellite TV?  If so program the remote to match your TV and see if it works. If not go out and buy one of those all in one remotes from wally world and try that. Should have your answer if its the TV or remote. My money is on the remote. If your anything like me I drop my remote a lot, sit on it, dog sits on it or dog steps on it.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:12:24 AM »
Nope, standard cable.

I was hoping there was a way that I could test it without having to make a search of the local Circuit City, but I guess not.

I'll hit CC tomorrow. Luckily the channel changing function is controlled through the cable box remote, and the volume is controlled either through the cable box or my audio system.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Chuck Dye

TV remote problem?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:18:53 AM »
Hey, Mike, could the "mtnbkr is such a trusting soul..."  thread have come home to roost?  Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 08:23:42 AM »
Well, he does have a key to my house, but I suspect he'd be far more devious than to simply screw with my remote.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
TV remote problem?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »
Radio Shack used to make a little IR remote test card. It had a sensitized area that would glow if the emitter on the remote was working. I don't think they make them any more but a local electronics shop might have them.

If you have a home theatre type stereo unit, they often have a universal remote function.

Also, it might pay to pull the remote apart and gently clean the contacts with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. The membrane-style button assemblies are bad about trapping all kinds of crud that ends up getting mashed onto the contacts. The cheaper the remote the worse the problem, or so it's been in my experience.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:33:47 AM »
Death by 1000 cuts...

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
TV remote problem?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:40:07 AM »
Quote from: Brad Johnson
Also, it might pay to pull the remote apart and gently clean the contacts with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. The membrane-style button assemblies are bad about trapping all kinds of crud that ends up getting mashed onto the contacts. The cheaper the remote the worse the problem, or so it's been in my experience.

Brad
a $12 all in one remote is some much more worth than my time to field strip a remote, then hopefully get it back together without breaking off those little pastic tabs and slots that hold the housing together.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 08:42:48 AM »
Quote from: charby
Quote from: Brad Johnson

Brad
a $12 all in one remote is some much more worth than my time to field strip a remote, then hopefully get it back together without breaking off those little pastic tabs and slots that hold the housing together.

-C
Maybe, maybe not.  Depending on what kind of TV you have and it's features, it can be difficult to impossible to get a programming match on the cheaper All In One remotes.  Sure, you'll get basic functions, but you may not get your PIP to work or access to the on screen menu controls, etc.  If it's a simple cleaning, that may be faster than the trip to CC, standing in line, the trip back, and the time to program.

Chris

Preacherman

TV remote problem?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »
Mike, it might be something as simple as having to re-enter the model code for your TV into the remote.  Some remotes that come with TV's have to deal with several different models from the same manufacturer, each of which will have its own (usually 2- or 3-digit) code.  If you still have the owner's manual for your TV, check there for the code:  otherwise, check the manufacturer's Web site, or call their help line.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Antibubba

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 09:47:18 AM »
This isn't a problem-it's an opportunity.  Throw the remote away, unplugged the cursed box, cancel the cable, and go shooting.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 09:51:36 AM »
That's a pretty good thought, Preacher. I'll dig out the book this evening.

As for the remote, the only functions I need out of it are on/off, volume control, and video mode. Everything else is done through either the sound system or the cable box.

I doubt if it's the contacts, as NOTHING on the remote works.

Brad Johnson

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 09:55:12 AM »
Everything else is done through either the sound system or the cable box
Is your remote for the system programmable? I bet it is.. Wink

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
It's not a full sound system, it's more of a mid-end shelf stereo system with video input.

No, the remote isn't programmable.

Brad Johnson

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 11:21:28 AM »
Sounds like the perfect excuse to upgrade!

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:53 AM »
Dear Brad,

Please send money.

Lots of money.

My remote control on my TV broke, and now I have to upgrade to a 53" Sony HDTV with a 12-speaker theather quality sound system.

crt360

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
If you have a palm device with IR, there is a little IR tester program that you can download for it.  Just aim your remote at it and push buttons.  If nothing happens, your remote has probably crapped out.
For entertainment purposes only.

cordex

• Administrator
TV remote problem?
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 12:28:22 PM »
You can see the IR pulses from a remote on most video cameras.  The screen on a digital camera should work too.

Brad Johnson

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »
Dear Brad,

Please send money.

Lots of money.

My remote control on my TV broke, and now I have to upgrade to a 53" Sony HDTV with a 12-speaker theather quality sound system.
Who are you and how do you know my name?

Brad
-HankB

brimic

• friends
TV remote problem?
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »
How would we all survive if we had to all get off the couch and turn the big chrome dial to select one of the 2 or 3 stations available? Tongue

I feel your pain, My 12 year old TV's remote sensor gave up the ghost several months ago and I had to handle channel changing through the VCR and volume through the Stereo receiver. The worst was having to get up and push the on/off button. I've since upgraded to a plasma and have been very happy and aggravation-free since. Smiley
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 03:27:39 PM »
"Who are you and how do you know my name?"

I am Barrister Bootoombe Boonique, accounts manager for Federated International Bank of Lagos, Nigeria.

A Mr. Bill Johnson, his wife, and daughter were killed in a traffic accident in my country in 1999. Mr. Bill Johnson was a very, very bad mans, as he managed to embezzle and hide in my bank a sum of Exactly One Hundred Million ($100 Million) U.S. DOLLARS.

By claiming to be Mr. Bill Johnson's next of kin, you can help us move this money from Federated International Bank of Lagos, Nigeria. For helping, you shall be entitled to a consideration in sum of Exactly One Hundred Five Million ($105 Millon) U.S. DOLLARS.

Please send me your bank account information immediately so we can begin the transfer process.

Yours in fraternal secrecy and debauchery,

Barrister Bootoombe Boonique

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
TV remote problem?
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
mike

pbbbbbbbbbbbbbb or whatever sound one can make sticking their tongue out and blowing really hard.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
TV remote problem?
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2006, 05:38:17 AM »
Hmpff...

You guys have it easy.

I have a Rotel preamp that had the remote die. Dead. Kaput.

NOBODY seems to make aftermarkets that I can just punch in a code and have work. And the twits at the stores keep telling me that their stuff is "programmable." MAYBE IF YOU HAVE A WORKING REMOTE, JUNIOR!
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
TV remote problem?
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 08:39:23 AM »
I am Barrister Bootoombe Boonique, accounts manager for Federated International Bank of Lagos, Nigeria.

A Mr. Bill Johnson, his wife, and daughter were killed in a traffic accident in my country in 1999. Mr. Bill Johnson was a very, very bad mans, as he managed to embezzle and hide in my bank a sum of Exactly One Hundred Million ($100 Million) U.S. DOLLARS.

By claiming to be Mr. Bill Johnson's next of kin, you can help us move this money from Federated International Bank of Lagos, Nigeria. For helping, you shall be entitled to a consideration in sum of Exactly One Hundred Five Million ($105 Millon) U.S. DOLLARS.

Please send me your bank account information immediately so we can begin the transfer process.

Yours in fraternal secrecy and debauchery,

Barrister Bootoombe Boonique
Bootoombe, is that you?! Do you remember me? It's Lionel Joseph .. from the African Education
Conference. I was Director of Cultural Events at the Haile Selassie Pavilion!
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
TV remote problem?
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 12:04:39 PM »
You still owe me the 1,200 quatloos from the money I fronted you for that fermented yak blood beer, you cheap SOB!

OK, I was the remote. I picked up a cheap Sony remote, entered the codes, and bam, back in business.