Author Topic: A few shots with the long lense  (Read 1844 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
A few shots with the long lense
« on: July 15, 2006, 01:12:26 AM »
From the horsey show last weekend. Shot on Kodak Gold 200 with the 135 mm lense. First time I used it, overall I am pretty pleased with the results. The first 2 are a friend of mine test jumping her new horse. The 3rd is my stepdaughter all decked out in her purple shirt hat she's so proud of. Cheesy

If you look to the back of this one you can see my pretty red Ford pickum up...  Cheesy

Best I could get was F8 on the aperture with the 200 film. I'm noticing that much more attention must be paid to light and shadow with B&W than with color. I took a roll of the 400 B&W before the 200 color and I see lots of shadow problems in the B&W compared to the color shots. I was about 150 ft away on the first, 100 on the second and about 75 on the third. I LIKE the long lense!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:17:37 AM »
I just received a Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX APO DC Macro for my Canon 20D.  I am anxious to go out and try some distance shots with it.  I have already done some macro shots of flowers that looked pretty interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 07:40:52 AM »
Yup, the humming bird feeder has been pretty active lately, I'm thinking the long lense ~ 10 feet away might provide some neat results. Cheesy

IIRC it will focus down to 5 feet. I'm outta film though. Sad

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »
280+: f8  obviously not a problem; good depth-of-field and plenty of shutter speed, notice how flying dirt under rear hooves is stopped. Good job! Nice pics! What camera?

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 05:07:34 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
I'm outta film though. Sad
Bulkload.  Cheaper per frame that way and you can load up oddsized rolls for special needs.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 12:16:29 AM »
What camera?
It's an old (~1954) Leica M3 I found in the back of Dad's closet. I love the thing. I like the way you can see the little dust clouds where the horse had already stepped in pic #2.  She was haulin' butt in that one. Smiley

Bulkload.
Yup, I'm going to have to find a good camera shop. Walgreens can only take you so far. Tongue

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:06:22 AM »
Yup, I'm going to have to find a good camera shop. Walgreens can only take you so far. Tongue
Those are getting rarer and rarer in today's world of digitoy cameras.  I get much of my photography hardware from ebay.  The only problem with bulkloading color film is the lack of choices.   Check B&H for your film choices.

BTW, I just tested a roll of Fuji Pro 400H in my Olympus OM1.  Wow!  Great color (very rich and creamy) and low grain.  It's as good a match to that camera as I've found.  You might check it out if you can get a roll.  

BTW, great pics.  You did a good job catching action with that rangefinder.  I could never work quickly enough to catch action well with the Canon rangefinder I had. Sad

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 03:19:14 AM »
Thanks, I prepped for the shots, I set up my range on the posts and then waited for them to come around. The wide depth of field helped a bit too. Cheesy Other than that as far as taking any quick shots at varying ranges it was a wee bit tricky and I missed a few. Most everything I DID shoot came out in focus though. One thing I liked about this lense is you can SEE the focus ring in the viewfinder so I was able to grab it every time and not the dang F-stop ring like I do on the 50mm lense. LOL,,, you're trying to focus and your messing up the f-stop instead. Tongue

The biggest problem I have with the camera is forgetting to take the cap off. It's not an SLR so everything looks just fine in the viewfinder. rolleyes

Unfortunately the guy who owns the best shop in town ticked me off a few years ago when he tried to low ball me with an offer on the camera. Remember the guy who told me it was "too much camera for you"? Yup, one and the same.

There's another in Hartford I just heard about though, I'll have to make the trip soon.

I'll check EBAY to start with I'd need the reloadable film holder that goes with the camera? Or are they pretty much universal?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 04:17:14 AM »
I'll check EBAY to start with I'd need the reloadable film holder that goes with the camera? Or are they pretty much universal?
This is what you need first: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=61874&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Then, you'll need the film to go inside and a collection of reloadable film cartridges.  There's a Bulkload FAQ online somewhere for detailed info.  They're pretty much the same, so get the cheapest, yet least abused one you can from ebay.  I got mine and a bunch of cartridges for less than the cost of a new loader that way.

Chris

peteinct

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 04:39:40 AM »
Mark, There is a camera shop in downtown Hartford that is really a camera shop. My wife got her 70mm camera fixed there. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called. It is near the peoples bank.  

I enjoyed shooting with you. It seems you are a quality over quantity guy. Unlike me.
pete

ps My wife uses a  Nikon digital now but it can swap lenses like her old ones and it makes photography much less expensive.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 05:10:25 AM »
Thanks Chris!

I THINK the name of the shop is Capitol Photography or Capitol Camera something like that. It's just getting the time to get there. Absolutely great shooting with you too BTW, you got a few nice pieces I wouldn't worry. I'm liking CZ more and more. I've just been lucky with aquiring the stuff I have. Right place right time. I got REAL lucky on the camera though. Cheesy  My old man was a pack rat and I found the whole setup waaayyy in the back of this tiny closet full of junk. I damn near fainted when I opend the case and figured out what it was.

I've been meaning to get back to you too. I'm pretty sure I'm going to the contact match next saturday if you're interested. Email me or whatever. Bring lots of 9mm Wink

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 02:04:39 AM »
Yea, I see what you mean about selection on the bulk chris. Definitely cheaper than buying individual rolls though. I'm the kind of guy that would want to check out a little of it before I committed to a whole gigantic roll.  Turns out I'm an idiot anyways. Tongue  I forgot I had bought a 4 pak of that 200. I opened the case the other day and found out I have 3 rolls left. rolleyes

Now I just have to be patient enough to sit and wait for a hummingbird to come around.

BTW, the horse is not ours, he's her lesson horse. His name is "Bob".

Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »
I'm the kind of guy that would want to check out a little of it before I committed to a whole gigantic roll.
I believe everything available in bulk is also available prepackaged.  The only bulk film I use is TriX 400.  It's kinda spendy around here and I prefer short rolls in case I want to switch to color.

BTW, something about naming an animal "Bob" makes me chuckle.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 03:48:39 AM »
Yea, me too. Cheesy