Author Topic: Fire  (Read 827 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Fire
« on: July 17, 2006, 07:14:57 AM »
This weekend I was moving to Pine Valley, CA.  Beautiful little mountain town.  Anyway, as I'm nearing the exit on the highway, I see a small fire burning up a hill.  Pine Valley is on the other side of this hill.  Seems a pickup went over the side and ignited.  So my first day was spent at my buddy's diner, watching a fire burn down the hill towards the town.  Crappy camera phone pictures below.

Between the ground crews, and the air attack, they knocked it down within a few hours.  If not for the fast response of the crews, the town would've been lost.  I have to say, those pilots who fly the bombers must have huge brass balls.  I couldn't believe how low they were flying.  Right over the top of my head, between trees.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:01:35 AM »
We have huge fires about 30-60 miles to the SE of where I live.  Lots more acreage on fire than in CA, but it is sparsely populated.  

Our little valley was full of smoke this morning. If the wind shifts, the fire could be right here in a half a day... Sad

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2006/07/17/news/state/25-hardin_g.txt
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Fire
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:39:32 PM »
new fire this afternoon about 15 miles east of our house Sad

it's blowing up right now and looks like an atom bomb cloud, creating its own cumulo-nimbus above it
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Fire
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »
Be careful.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Fire
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 12:24:25 AM »
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2006/07/18/news/state/25-majerus_g.txt

some good pictures there of heavy air tankers and helicopters